14 passat fender hit n run help

JonLla84

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 VW Passat TDI SEL Premium
Hey guys, I went to leave work and found someone backed into my driver side front fender... One nice little the size of about a grapefruit or so...

I can't use a police report as their were no cameras. Which the officer says I'm better off going out of pocket...

Any thoughts on how much it may cost to simply reply one black fender or if it is possible to smooth out the dent?

Thanks. Not the end of the world but annoying none the less...

WolfPack

TDI
2013 Passat tdi
During my first week of ownership I was involved in a hit and run and filed a police report just so my insurance would cover it. Mine was close to 5,000$ in damages though.

Your insurance rate shouldn't change due to a hit and run incident.

Cincy_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat SE TDI
You can sometimes heat that up and pop it out. Couple hundred bucks should cover it as long as if they don't want to replace the bumper which will add up fast.

JonLla84

Veteran Member
TDI
God it would be nice... i popped it out slightly but its still got a nice bump into it, and a slight ruffle.... its obnoxious

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Your insurance company should have covered the expenses. Mine did when my daughter got backed into in the school parking lot. She was a teacher, so it was someone there to pick their kid up for carpool. Had to be a big assed truck for the location and amount of damage.

JonLla84

Veteran Member
TDI
The officer that made the report told me I had nothing because there were no witnesses or cameras, so they couldn't really prove that it even happened there....

Not to mention, because Ive had some claims, most recently being at fault for a rear ending, that if I claim this, there is a possibility of being dropped...

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Big suction cup and dry ice and/or heat. You have to get the panel to flex enough to pop the dent out, if it will. That's one of the way that the paintless dent removal people do it. However, as mentioned above, if the paint is cracked, you're better off to leave it alone.

BPofMD

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SE
They can not drop you on a COMP claim! H&R is a comp claim. The Police should still write up a report no matter whether anyone else saw it or not. He has the duty to at least file the report! Blame is up to the insurance company.

fxk

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Sportwagen TDI
Similar happened to my 2014 JSW... @750 miles.
about a 4"crease across top of wheel arch - paint in tact.
Took it to body shop for an estimate
$850, $1050 if they needed to blend in the door...
frank

gforce1108

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 Jetta GLS BEW, 14 Audi A7 V6 TDI, 13 Porsche Cayenne V6 TDI
They can not drop you on a COMP claim! H&R is a comp claim. The Police should still write up a report no matter whether anyone else saw it or not. He has the duty to at least file the report! Blame is up to the insurance company.
Hit and run here isn't comp - it's collision.

Pulled this off an insurance website: "If someone backed into your car, then drove off, your comprehensive policy wouldn't apply because comprehensive doesn't cover loss due to a collision with another vehicle."

Someone backed into my car in front of my brother's house - both neighbors across the street blamed each other of course.

Wasn't worth running through my insurance, especially with a $500 deductible. It needed a securing bracket but everything else was repairable. Ran about $700. While they were spraying the bumper, I had them paint and install the dealer sourced lower spoiler.

A used fender runs $100-$185 on car-part.com

Lincoln

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE 6 Speed MT
I had hit-and-run damage to my van a couple of years back. Insurance covered it under "Uninsured motorist" category. Paid a $300 deductible, but got it fixed and no impact on my driving record. Might be worth checking with your insurance to see if the same could apply.