11mm internals on 10mm pump??

bhodgkiss

Veteran Member
TDI
AFN Passat Wagon
Hi all

So this has been discussed a bit, but I've never found the actual answer to my question:

I have an 11mm pump sat here. If I swap the internals into the 10mm pump on my AFN, can I do this in situ with pump on the car and cam belt fitted?

Was hoping not to have to take the belt off if it's not necessary

Also how does a 10mm/11mm hybrid compare to an 11mm in terms of performance? Do I get 80% of the gains?

Help appreciated!

Thanks

jabcok20

Veteran Member
TDI
golf mk1
?
you must take off pump from the car. You cant do this on the car. I think it is impossible.

Losha

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta TDI DSG, 2001 Golf TDI, Audi S6, A8, Toureg
Yes you can swap internals without removing pump from car, just have to be very careful and be patient when putting things together, I would also lift one side of car up to help keep rollers falling out easily. the only real difference between 10 and 11mm pumps are head w/distributor plunger and possibly cam plate otherwise everything else are same to my knowledge.

TDIkev

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 GLS Baltic Green Jetta 5 Spd
I called a shop a few years back to see if I could turn a 10 mm pump into a 11 mm pump. It can be done but it would be cheaper just to buy a pump from the shop. There are not many internal parts that are common to both pumps. I told the guy to stop after he was up to $1000 in parts.

GTiTDi

TDIClub Enthusiast, Macht Schnell! Vendor , w/Busi
3 Spruce st Wareham, gateway to Cape Cod Massachus
TDI
'91 GTI CJAA swap,'02 Jetta wagon ALH swap, '03 GTI 1.8T rally car, '03 Sprinter 3500
I have an 11mm pump sat here. If I swap the internals into the 10mm pump on my AFN, can I do this in situ with pump on the car and cam belt fitted?
The short answer-No.

This isn't as simple as a pump head reseal...there are internal tolerances that cannot be measured accurately in place by a layman..I have conferred with more than one guru on this matter as I was going to attempt to put 11mm camplate and head onto a 1Z pump, off the car..I was advised to not waste my time AND destroy my pump

rawdon1

Veteran Member
TDI
retired the 2002 Jetta after transmission went again...... now got a 2000 tdi jetta manual tran....... now driving 2003 jetta wagon 5 speed
I just swaped my 10mm pump for a 11mm pump, car has more power then before.

bhodgkiss

Veteran Member
TDI
AFN Passat Wagon
Thanks for the random posts!
As said I have a spare 11mm pump so what's $1000 in parts got to do with it?
Some people say it's possible, others are guessing it's not?
Can I just get a reply from someone who's done/attempted it please?

Losha

Veteran Member
TDI
Read my post above, Yes you can do it no problems, I've drove my ALH for many years with 11mm pump and 10mm head (original plunger broke, so I got used 10mm head assembly). Just be careful when reassembling everything specially when installing head make sure plunger is well lubricated and spinning freeling in pump otherwise it will sieze and break.

GTiTDi

TDIClub Enthusiast, Macht Schnell! Vendor , w/Busi
3 Spruce st Wareham, gateway to Cape Cod Massachus
TDI
'91 GTI CJAA swap,'02 Jetta wagon ALH swap, '03 GTI 1.8T rally car, '03 Sprinter 3500
10mm pump body with 12mm denso head... built by me on a workbench with no special tools...almost 40k miles so far zero issues...
OP wants to do this "on the car" which is the number one reason I said No to his inquiry...However reading what you said makes me want to try this with my extra ALH pump ;) Damned naysayers! :p

besi

TDI
Passat 3b 1.9 TDI
I've have heard from a guy in a German forum that he did it multiple times with the pump on the car. He basically fills the pump with sticky grease so the parts don't fall out. But he sad too that he would recommend to do it this way the first time.

The Diesel dissolves the grease when the engine is running and all is fine.

Last edited:

hatemi

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi A6 4F 3.0TDI
It can be done, but its not easy. Much easier is to swap the whole pump. If you do want to swap the parts, then you need to swap quantity adjuster and every other smaller bit that's inside the pump.

Losha

Veteran Member
TDI
It can be done, but its not easy. Much easier is to swap the whole pump. If you do want to swap the parts, then you need to swap quantity adjuster and every other smaller bit that's inside the pump.
Why do you have to swap quantity adjuster? to my knowledge its same one on both pumps, the only real differences between 10mm & 11mm pumps are head assembly and possibly camplate (I never really took time to compare both camplates, otherwise everything else are same).

jabcok20

Veteran Member
TDI
golf mk1
different are camplate, rotorhead, timing cylinder. n108, n109, even return valve on n109 .

bhodgkiss

Veteran Member
TDI
AFN Passat Wagon
many thanks for the info, sounds like less work/risk to swap the pump, so I'll go down this route when I get time!
On the AFN I have to swap 8/10 pin plugs but this is easy and I have a donor old 10mm pump I can cut the connectors off and splice on. I have the 11mm pump bracket, so should have most of what I need.
What checks can I do on the 11mm pump to make sure its good before I fit please?

iwahn

TDI
golf 4
Replacing the head while the pump is in the car is easy. Just create an arrangement of wire to keep the internal parts in place. However, also other parts obviously have to be changed. After swapping the head, my pump can not keep enough advance at high rpm, it creeps down to 11 degrees. Does anyone have a simple solution to this problem? Increasing the internal pump pressure?