10 Cars that can last for 250,000 miles or more

supton

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta Wagon GLS
A better list would be, "Cars that won't make 250k, no matter how well you maintain them". Most anything these days will hit that, just stay on top of fluids and filters.

Although, you do have to ask, just what is routine, and what isn't? Clutches are wear items. Old school automatics used to throw in the towel too, but weren't that bad to R&R (say what you will, but a couple of grand to replace is cheap money compared to new vehicle). Lots of people get rid of vehicles when it gets to the nickle and dime stuff--a/c compressor one year, power steering the next, axle seals, whatever.

IFRCFI

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg TDI Lux
Worthless article. The percentage of people that keep or drive a car to 250K or beyond is very, very small. We're in a world of "how low are the payments".....

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Useless article. I don't think the Yaris is anything special in terms of durability/reliability, and it sure isn't anything special in terms of corrosion protection, which is THE BIG issue where I live - not mechanical reliability. A few of the Honda models listed in the article have a history of transmission troubles. The "new cars to avoid" article at the end is another joke.

MrMopar

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none
I was just throwing the Volvo 240 in there as a joke. It's standard knowledge they last a long time.

GM W-body cars frequently have problems, but they also apparently last a LONG time. I see quite a few of them all over the place.

And the Mitsubishi Endeavor SUV, for whatever reasons, is getting a reputation as a vehicle that will run a long time.

Dozenspeed

Top Post Dawg
A better list would be, "Cars that won't make 250k, no matter how well you maintain them". Most anything these days will hit that, just stay on top of fluids and filters..

Yep, exactly. I nominate the Chevy Aveo.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I agree with the useless article post above.

Crown Vic. Lincoln Town Car (same cars, actually). These regularly go 300K+ with no internal engine work. Of course living with one for 300K would be punishment.

My '97 Passat had just 250K on it when I bought it in January. I expect that if I choose to I can drive it at least another 200K. In fact we have three cars in the driveway with 250K or more on them. All TDIs, of course. The M-B is a relative baby at 190K.

MrMopar

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none
Those cars will run like crap forever ...
Yep. I had a hand-me-down 1993 Cutlass Supreme that went past 200,000 miles in our family. I sold it for $800 and it's still running around town without any rust, original engine, original transmission, etc. This one runs great and consistently got 32mpg highway.

gulfcoastguy

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI sold, Mazda 3 purchased
I had a Toyota 4 cylinder manual truck. It had 217,000 on it when I traded it for some home repair work. Still driving somewhere but no working AC unless somebody upgraded it to the new freon.

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
Hell, my '95 Isuzu Trooper has 348,000 miles on it and is STILL going strong down in Kentucky. It was supposed to flip over before 100K according to Consumer Distorts, but never did.

BadMonKey

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Focus ST
to much Toyota koolaid for my tastes

i feel the modern yota's have lost their bullet proof reputation along with a entire lineup of vanilla vehicles to put the masses to sleep.

It took Subaru to give them a single car with character and i'd still buy the Subaru version over the scion.

MK6_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 B7 Passat TDI SEL
My old e36 ran 245k till I sold it. I know the ow we and it currently is still running strong with 315k. Non diesel too

Sent from my HTC One X+ using Tapatalk 2

DasTeknoViking

Veteran Member
TDI
B4 TDi, A4 R32
Had a Audi 5000 with 402k on it original engine and trans. 850 5spd GLT on original clutch still with 220k... My B4 has 449k. It's all about maintenance.

DasTeknoViking

Veteran Member
TDI
B4 TDi, A4 R32
Lol
You will catch me eventually, it's no longer a daily but a fun car. It sat all winter and I put just a few K miles since it's full restoration... Honestly I'm thinking of maybe selling it so someone can enjoy it more than me. I just dunno if I have it in me to sell this old thing.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
I should add that my own Jetta TDI has 419,xxx km on it, which works out to 260,xxx miles, so it's beyond the threshold given in the original article.

I've bought another car (non TDI, not even a diesel!) that is now my daily driver. The Jetta will now only be for trailer towing trips and selected long highway trips (the new one doesn't have cruise control and won't tow my trailer). It ought to easily make it to 500,000 or even 600,000 km - body is fine, engine is fine. But it won't be with me as the owner. I have my eye on a different bike hauler, but it's not out until the end of the year.

rimad

TDI
Passat TDI, Mercedes E 320 CDI
You keep fixing it and it will go for million miles. What is so wow about that?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

jni3

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 sportwagen tdi / 2012 golf tdi
i feel almost any car will reach 250k as long as you take care of them. it's just some will cost you less in the long run. i never had problems with my japanese cars, only american ones. now i'm onto european, so i'll see how thes work out.