1.9 8v PD with GTB1756vk - Dyno Printout

ryanp

Vendor
TDI
Arosa CR - 550hp - 9.7 @ 150mph 1/4 Mile, Citigo 4x4 CR TDi - 340hp, Caddy 2.0 CR 4x4 TDI - 300+hp, Golf Mk2 Van 1.9 TDI - was 290hp, Mk5 Ibiza 2.0 FR TDi - 270hp, BMW 135d - 360hp, BMW 330d - 335hp, BMW 335d - 380hp + a few more ........
I know this information has not been easy to find as a lot of people have emailed asking if i have any dyno printouts to show them.

Here is a dyno print from a customers car that was dropped off as a stock PD130, basically any 1.9/2.0 8v with PD150 injectors and a decent intercooler setup will make the same power as this with a GTB1756, the car runs totally smoke free at all times:

The small dip you can see has been rectified since the dyno, this is the perfect setup for a daily IMO, stock drivability at part throttle and lots of grunt to 4500rpm+ at full throttle!!

No need for internal mods or even crazy exhaust systems.

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
Ryan, it doesn't look like the turbo/tune is really set up to spool very well at low RPM. Were you able to get it to spool quicker? Based on the spool #'s on your site, the torque peak should have been closer to 2000rpm.
Any plans for bigger nozzles?

K.I.T.T.

Veteran Member
TDI
PD75
It's probably spooling just fine. I reckon fuel's been limited at lower RPMs to take it easy on the bottom end.

Ash

devonutopia

Top Post Dawg
TDI
PD300 Skoda Fabia
My peak torque is around 2800 to 3000rpm. Makes for a very "revvy" motor. I would expect this has been tuned in a similar manner, perhaps to prevent clutch shredding low down torque.

devonutopia

Top Post Dawg
TDI
PD300 Skoda Fabia
I'm pretty confident that the power is "at the wheels". I don't know of any chasis dyno that take HP at the wheels and "converts" them to "at the crank".
it does say Bhp, so crank power. I doubt it's a chassis/hub dyno. Quite rare to come across them in the UK. Most are you normal drive on, lash down, thrash it, type ones. Of course, with the correct tie down methods used to prevent roller "creep" and over-state the power.

struikie

Veteran Member
TDI
BMW 335d E91
nice curve!
this is about max the 1756vk will do...

@bearings....
no way a 1756vk will do 224 at the wheels... this dyno is at the crank...
after the acceleration run, the car is put in neutral...
the bench measures the losses during the time the car is still rolling...
and adds it to the numbers found during acceleration...
personally "at the wheels" means nothing to me.... if I put on really
small wheels I have enormous power at the wheels... so to me
there is no value in whp numbers... but you US guys seem to
have a different opinion ;)

JW

Last edited:

Got Bearings?

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf GLS
it does say Bhp, so crank power. I doubt it's a chassis/hub dyno. Quite rare to come across them in the UK. Most are you normal drive on, lash down, thrash it, type ones. Of course, with the correct tie down methods used to prevent roller "creep" and over-state the power.
The above IS a chasis dyno... as opposed to an engine dyno. Roller or hub is still a chasis dyno.

@bearings....
no way a 1756vk will do 224 at the wheels... this dyno is at the crank...
after the acceleration run, the car is put in neutral...
the bench measures the losses during the time the car is still rolling...
and adds it to the numbers found during acceleration...
personally "at the wheels" means nothing to me.... if I put on really
small wheels I have enormous power at the wheels... so to me
there is no value in whp numbers... but you US guys seem to
have a different opinion ;)

JW
"at the crank" HP taken from a chasis/roller dyno is just an estimate. What conversion factor do you use? Is it a percent? Is it HP subtracted from the "wheels"? Either way, the conversion will be off and could be off significantly. Example:
If you use 85%, a 100 HP car makes 85 at the wheels.
If the same car now makes 300 HP, it makes 255 at the wheels.
You just "lost" 30 HP by making more power???? It's useless.

And yes, we care what we put down to the wheels because that's what gets us down the road/track. I couldn't care less what it makes at the crank. And "small wheels" wouldn't make a difference since it's uses the rate of acceleration of the roller to derive power.

struikie

Veteran Member
TDI
BMW 335d E91
no estimates... no factors... just measurements...
let's not make this another yes/no topic please...

JW

hatemi

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi A6 4F 3.0TDI
How many times does it need to be said to you WHP freaks. After the run gear is put to neutral. The inertia of the rollers is known so the time it takes to slow down can be calculated. Comparing that value to the actual slow down rate will show how much loss there is in the drivetrain. There is no Freaking 25% everywhere correction factor. That would be plain stupid.

And BHP is crank power. Always.

kaanage

TDI
1.9 PD Polo
My peak torque is around 2800 to 3000rpm. Makes for a very "revvy" motor. I would expect this has been tuned in a similar manner, perhaps to prevent clutch shredding low down torque.
It shows 200 ft lb at 1800rpm which isn't too flabby!

devonutopia

Top Post Dawg
TDI
PD300 Skoda Fabia
The above IS a chasis dyno... as opposed to an engine dyno. Roller or hub is still a chasis dyno.
Hmm, guess so, but this is definitely a drive on, drive off, rather than a wheel removing, bolted to a machine type dyno. Quite different, and its rare to find the latter unless you're using somewhere that develops its own engines or wants the true WHP. Europe/UK is all about the brake horsepower so most use the roller dyno.

Got Bearings?

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf GLS

ArturCosta

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi A4 Avant 1996 Silver
I have seen 240bhp on a Golf5 2.0TDI 140... and mods where really simple.
Turbo ,clutch and remap. Awesome daily drive as stock FMIC is more then enough ;)

Got Bearings?

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf GLS
Link doesn't work for me.
Dyno this was done on:-

My understanding of a hub dyno, which I will admit I would also call a chassis dyno as the car is literally bolted to the machine:-
Sorry,try the link again...

I have used a hub dyno too.

[/IMG]

flee

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS wagon
"at the crank" HP taken from a chasis/roller dyno is just an estimate. What conversion factor do you use? Is it a percent? Is it HP subtracted from the "wheels"? Either way, the conversion will be off and could be off significantly. Example:
If you use 85%, a 100 HP car makes 85 at the wheels.
If the same car now makes 300 HP, it makes 255 at the wheels.
You just "lost" 30 HP by making more power???? It's useless.
Not quite useless.
WHP takes into account drivetrain losses which increase as the load from the dyno increases.
The higher loads create more friction in bearings, gearsets, etc.

slamhouse

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI SE
I like to know what im putting to the wheels :) thats where the power meets the road!

If i want to sound better than i actually am, I would say i have 155hp even though I only throw down 130 of it :)

Sootman

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI
Wow, so easy to get off track. Interesting dyno, nice to see what can be done with a GTB1756VK.