01M Transmission shifting hard from 2nd to 3rd after full throttle on highway.

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
Thanks everyone. I just want to say that I checked for trans codes using a cheap VAG401 and there were none.
VCDS lite does most of what the full version does s/a reading all the codes & scanning all the controlers.
Sounds like you have a laptop & cable?
It's a free download.
I registered my copy to get the use of the injection timing graph.
To me it was well worth the price.

2002_auto_tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
03 5spd wagon and 02 01m sedan
Vag401 should be able to check for codes as far as I can see. It was only about 40 bucks or so. If the valve body doesn't fix the issue then I don't want to put any money into the car. Will just sell as is for a few hundred since it has rust issues as well.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Take the harness completely out before you unbolt the valve body. It isn't hard. It just goes up and under some things to the connector on the bracket on top, towards the firewall. Make sure the area in the case where the harness passes through is completely clean before you feed the new one in, and make sure the o-ring on the new one gets a little new ATF smeared on it so it slides in and doesn't tear. That is not a quick easy fix to replace that o-ring after it is all together.

2002_auto_tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Take the harness completely out before you unbolt the valve body. It isn't hard. It just goes up and under some things to the connector on the bracket on top, towards the firewall. Make sure the area in the case where the harness passes through is completely clean before you feed the new one in, and make sure the o-ring on the new one gets a little new ATF smeared on it so it slides in and doesn't tear. That is not a quick easy fix to replace that o-ring after it is all together.
I ended up routing around the starter and keeping it outside of the bracket for ease. Routed it where I figure it won't pull. Hope I didn't make a mess. If it works, then I can always redo later. I put o-ring lube around that o ring before putting it back in.

My searches yield significant failures after replacing the valve body like no reverse etc.

Are there any major things to watch out for?

I am a bit discouraged as the fluid was very clean but after pulling the valve body the fluid was very grey between the mating surfaces. That took me back a bit.

2002_auto_tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Alrighty, going back together shortly. Does anyone know if there is a need to reset any trans variables after replacing the valve body or can I replace it and drive?

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I would check/clear DTCs (even if there are none), and I despise the 01M's DSP default shifting. I find it cumbersome and too easily confused. Good news is, you can turn the DSP off completely, and force it into either Economy or Sport mode. I prefer Economy mode on the gassers, since they are already geared so terribly low, but with the TDI I prefer to put it in Sport mode. It makes the 90hp feel like less of a slug, and won't constantly be lugging the engine especially when it is cold out. But once you are cruising at highway speeds, it still isn't downshift happy, and the lockup strategy seems to still be fine.

VCDS will let you recode it, and has a helper box that pops up. If you do not like its behavior, you can always switch it back.

2002_auto_tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks. Just wanted to say thanks to everyone. I put it back together and didn't experience any of the nightmares that I kept reading about. I am pretty surprised because I am not the luckiest. I carefully cleaned up and reused my old gasket and filter as well being that I changed fluid out just about 4k ago. No check engine lights, no downgear bangs, nothing but smoothness. I even winged the fluid level until I correct it tomorrow. Wow.

Cheap $120 valve body from Amazon with a one year warranty. Freaking pieces of the old harness were in the connectors as well as left behind duct and electrical tape. None of this inspired confidence but this is a $500 beater so I pressed on.

A few pointers. Don't put all of the ribbon cables back in until you get the T20 bolt back in. Went with Maxlife as suggested. I used my old $5 beam type inch pound torque wrench that (3/8) instead of opting for the more granular one. CoolAirVW mentioned that 5NM was just fine in one of his comments on youtube and my old cheap torque wrench showed 5NM so I took my chances.

Last edited: