Search results

1. D

2009 Jetta TDI 6 speed fix or turn in?

I have a 2009 Jetta TDI 6 speed with 118.5k miles and I am on the fence as to turn it in, get a 2015 fixed TDI, or the get the 2009 TDI fixed. Any advice on this, the 2009 TDI has been problem free (except for the recalls)
  2. D

ABS and brake light go on and off

I have been having this issue with my 1999.5 Jetta TDI: The ABS light will come on, and then go off, and then come back on again. This has been going on for almost 2 years. In the beginning it would just happen when it was cold or damp overnight when I left the car outside, once the car got...
  3. D

Exhaust Flap Sticking Open - Any Problems With That?

I have a 2009 VW Jetta TDI with 6 speed manual transmission and 74,000 miles. The exhaust flap or valve has been sticking open on and off. It usually resets itself, however I have noticed I am getting about 3 to 4 mpg better mileage when the flap is stuck open. I turn the key on and off and use...
  4. D

***Deadlines are rapidly approaching! Don't procrastinate!***

Can I still sign up Saturday morning? I have to move my son in at UMich in Ann Arbor but I should be able to attend the Saturdat afternoon events.
  5. D

Engine issues in volvo diesel, I know it know a vw but It is a diesel

You need sufficient cranking speed, good glow plugs and hopefully an engine that isn't worn out. I had 2 volvo 240 diesel wagons and put about 390000 mles on both together. There is also a cold start device that can be messed up on old volvo diesels. I had some trouble starting my 84 volvo...
  6. D

Windshield Wipers Only Move Slow - What's Up?

Thanks For Info, I will take out & lube Folks: Thanks for the quick replies. Now that Lew mentions it, I do remember some conversation about this at a MI GTG. I see I have some work to do. I will see what I find.
  7. D

Windshield Wipers Only Move Slow - What's Up?

Folks: My 1999.5 Jetta wipers had no high speed to answer the heavy rain today. They will work at low speed, and intermittent speed, and when you hold the switch down or use the washer. At high speed they just move a wipe or two and then stop in the middle for about 6 seconds and do it again...
  8. D

Mouse munched bonnet liner

If you don't get rid of the mouse or chipmunk it will do the same thing to your next liner. See if the mouse is living on top of your cabin filter, this is where several folks including me have found the nest. Keep your car in the garage or park it way away from the house and have a cat.
  9. D

Walmart Clearance on 96oz PS Additive

Actually, Tractor Supply is about $3 cheaper than Wally World in Michigan for a 96 ounce bottle! You have to be careful at Wally World they don't have the lowest price on a lot of stuff.
  10. D

HELP - stalled during Diesel Purge, will not start (did not run dry)

It takes a lot of cranking and bleeding I actually had to bleed some of the injectors twice to get all the air out after my fuel filter plugged last week and I put in a new filter filled with fuel treatment. In doing this and seeing it done several times it takes quite a bit of cranking to get...
  11. D

Plugged Fuel Filter at 5 F

I got a tankful of ULSD last Tuesday night during a snowstorm. I drove home about 10 miles and parked the car in the garage for 2 days. I took it to work last Thursday when it was below zero F and made it no problem. I took a short trip about 3 miles before lunch when it was about 5 F and on the...
  12. D

Volvo diesels?

Volvo Diesel Experience Folks: I had 2 Volvo Diesels had put over 450,000 miles on them. I got my first one in 1980 and traded in the last one (an 84 wagon) in late 2002. The engines use some oil with usage increasing as the engine wears out. My 84 had about 300,000 miles on it when I traded...
  13. D

Volvo 240 wagon TDI

VW to volvo wiring tips I have a 92 Volvo 240 wagon, a 1991 240 sedan, and a 99.5 VW Jetta TDI. I have also owned two Volvo 240 diesel wagons. I have had electrical wiring issues with the Volvo's and have relocated and modified the wiring thru the fuse box. You can double up some of the wiring...
  14. D

R320cdi

Seen in September! The guy next to me getting diesel in Hersey, PA had one (this was in late September). Nice looking vehicle! It had regular license plates on it. My guess is you have to order one.
  15. D

99.5 Jetta Trouble Shifting Only Into 5th Gear

Loose bracket caused the problem Folks: I looked at the transmission last weekend and thought that there was too much play in it but I wasn't sure. I took it to the dealer and it was a 15 minute job to tighten it up. There should be almost no wooble if you grab the metal damping weight, if...
  16. D

Symptoms getting worst As of today, I could not put the transmission in 5th gear at all at highway speeds. I have also noticed that I shifted into third when coming from second gear even when I was slowing to a stop and intending to select first gear. Now when I try to go from 4th gear to 5th...
  17. D

I have had trouble shifting into 5th gear. The other 4 gears work fine and I even had some folks at Mark of Diesel's GTG drive my car to see how it shifted. It seems if a take a trip and have it in 5th for a while and then stop at a rest stop, I can shift back into 5th. If I drive it around town...
  18. D

GTG in Mi. N.L.P.

Mark's GTG Mark: I am planning to be there. I will have my wife make some brownies since folks have always seemed to like to eat them. I don't have any stuff to do except change my fuel filter. I also have some diesel purge and Seafoam but I am not convinced I need to do the injector...
  19. D

Nest on cabin air filter?

This is definitely a mouse as I have had the same thing happen and have seen the mouse. I cleaned it out and replaced the filter and sprayed mint oil everywhere. The mouse is now gone but I know either mice or chipmunks will try to find a warm place this fall. I live in rural Michigan, I have...
  20. D

Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel

Mobil 1 5W40 Diesel Oil At Murray's in Lansing, MI Folks: I picked up a few quarts of 5W40 Mobil 1 Diesel Oil at Murray's in Lansing today. The guy there said they just got a shipment in. It is $5.59 a quart. I really need to change my oil so I am not waiting for a sale or for it to...