Volvo 240 wagon TDI

sdturbo

Veteran Member
TDI
none
I have a 92 Volvo wagon that im planning to swap a AHU motor into. I'm using an ACME adapters plate to bolt the motor upto a toyota supra 5 speed trans. I have a complete motor, wire harness, and pedal box from a 98 jetta but still need an ecu. Any suggestions on which ecu to get? Where to find one?

My main question is reguarding the wiring. How much of it carrys over when swaping to a non tdi car? Im planning on using the VW accesories but would like to keep the wiring seperate as possable from the volvo chassis wring. I understand the bently manual is the one to get... does it have detailed wiring diagrams? Also I need to come up with some form of a diesel filter. Any suggestions for something aftermarket or should I try to come up with an orignal TDI filter assy?

Any other advice? Any parts im going to need that im overlooking?

weedeater

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta, 2001, Baltic Green
for a filter, look at a Racal or some such, available at a marine parts house. The Stanadyne FM100 would also work just fine. Or the CAT available here.

doubledls

TDI
Jetta, 1999.5 A4, black, 2009 Jetta 6 M, black
VW to volvo wiring tips

I have a 92 Volvo 240 wagon, a 1991 240 sedan, and a 99.5 VW Jetta TDI. I have also owned two Volvo 240 diesel wagons. I have had electrical wiring issues with the Volvo's and have relocated and modified the wiring thru the fuse box. You can double up some of the wiring functions on the Volvo fuse box to create some places for the VW wiring to have fuses if you want to use the same fuse box. The ECU swap will be interesting. I have found some differences on wiring color code vs. what the wiring diagram says in Volvo's (this was attributed to what wiring was available on my 92 Volvo 5 speed wagon since it was made at the very end of the 1992 model year). The Volvo instrument cluster has a place for a glow plug light indicator, it can be taken from older Volvo diesel instrument clusters or you can just replace the current instrument cluster with one from an 84 Volvo 240/260 diesel. I may still have an extra Volvo diesel instrument cluster to check this on.

I have thought about this conversion myself but the Volvo gas engines seem to last as long as you want if you take care of them at all. My 92 wagon has close to 290,000 miles and had new engine compression when my son and I checked it at 255,000 miles. I actually think the Volvo gas engine will oulast a TDI engine if you use synthetic oil in both. I still have the original water pump in my 92 Volvo wagon!

The best mileage I ever got with the Volvo diesels was 35 to 40 mpg. The diesels had a lower rear axle gearing so you only were turning 2000 rpm at 55 mph in 5th gear. My current gas 5 speed is not geared quite as low as the Volvo diesels. You may want to check the gearing for the setup you are using.

mogly

Veteran Member
TDI
MKIV TDI + B5.5V AVF/01E
Isn't the Volvo 6 cylinder engine a VW engine anyway? From my understanding it's from the Euro LT trucks. I've also heard that they are almost the same as the 1.6L NA VW engine but with two extra cylinders. That being said, wouldn't the bellhousing be the same with no need for an adapter??

The 240's were bullet proof super reliable cars. I think that converting one to a TDI would make a great vehicle.

Please keep up this post, I'm sure I'm not the only one would like to see your progress.

sdturbo

Veteran Member
TDI
none
The D24 is a VW motor. The issue is they werent that great and are heavy for the power that they make. The other issue is that the stock trans isnt that stout. Im planing to make some power on this thing and dont want to be held back by the trans. Also diesels are near impossable to find and I wanted to start with the cleanest shell I could find. I will keep the thread up, hopefully there will be some major progress in the next couple weeks.

TurbinePower

Veteran Member
TDI
None
mogly said:
Isn't the Volvo 6 cylinder engine a VW engine anyway? From my understanding it's from the Euro LT trucks. I've also heard that they are almost the same as the 1.6L NA VW engine but with two extra cylinders. That being said, wouldn't the bellhousing be the same with no need for an adapter??

The 240's were bullet proof super reliable cars. I think that converting one to a TDI would make a great vehicle.

Please keep up this post, I'm sure I'm not the only one would like to see your progress.
The D24, Audi 2.0, and VW 1.6 diesels were all variations on a theme: the 1.6, with extra cylinders attached. They share a lot of internal parts, like connecting rods, bearings, pistons... that sort of thing.

However, the D24 and the Audi 2L don't have the 1.6 bolt pattern; the 1.6 gets the inline four, while the D24 and the Audi get the 5-cylinder bolt pattern, so they don't match up.

However, nosing around, this 5-cylinder bolt pattern is apparently also shared by the 2.5L I5 TDi, as well as the 2.5 V6 TDi. Thus, the latter is what I'm presently looking for to convert my Quantum Syncro (Which has the 5-cylinder JT gas engine in it) to a TDi powered car.

Dangerous_Dan

TDI
1998 Jetta, 2017 Jaguar XE 20d
TDi in RWD Volvos

This could be very interesting. I've got a couple of P1800s and at least one of them ( the one with the dead engine!) would love to have a TDi in it! The Volvo gearbox ( particularly the overdrive unit ) is probably not up to the load. It looks like it is not impossible to have a TDi making 300 ft.Lbs of torque, which would probably break the stock gearbox. Is that Toyota gearbox up to that kind of load? Maybe from a Tacoma or Tundra if the plate fits...

DD

sdturbo

Veteran Member
TDI
none
This gearbox is very stout. Its a upgrade for volvo guys and there are tons of adapters for big v8s. Its the same box thats in a tacoma, only with diffent ratios.

TDITONY

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Jetta GLS TDi Black
Having owned a couple of 1800/122 volvo's myself I highly doubt the TDi engine will fit under the hood without a lot of mods (read Hood scoop)

But I am going to watch this thread a lot as I currently have an 84 245 Diesel from Texas sitting in a garage for the winter and would love to throw a TDi in it.

I have to tell ya though. I know the 2.2 gets a bad wrap but mine has been really decent. It isn't a TDi by any stretch but it runs great, gets to freeway speed fairly well.

Drove it home from texas last august. The speedo wasn't working well so when I thought I was doing about 70 I was really pushing 95! Didn't feel like it at all. I did make it from Dallas to Milwaukee in less than 20 hours though :)

Good luck Josh!

TDiTony
02 Jetta GLS TDi
82 Volvo 245 D
maybe a 97 Passat TDi (going to look at it Saturday)

sdturbo

Veteran Member
TDI
none
From looking at it, the motor does not seem all that much taller than the b23. The engine bay in this car is HUGE, I dont think height will be much of a problem. Will be a nice change from stuffing honda motors into mini coopers.

Spulen81

Veteran Member
The Bentley manual is definetly a must have. I photocopied all the pages and taped them together in one big diagram to make it easier to trace wires, etc. Plus you can write all over it. If your harness is un cut, it will make it much easier on you too.
You basically just need everything that is connected to the engine and nothing else. This includes the DF wire on the alternator and all the obvious stuff.

I used a universal filter head from this place. The filters are cheap here too and easy to get.

http://fleetfilter.com/miscellaneous.html

Last edited:

TDITONY

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Jetta GLS TDi Black
sdturbo I guess if you are used to throwing Honda's in Mini's you could fit the TDi in an 1800. I have seen one with a V8 but that engine wasn't nearly as tall as a TDi. Heck I have seen a B18 motor with VW CSI injection on it. Looked weird but it can be done and it sure beat the FI that came on them originally. All mine were dual carb models so didn't have to mess with FI.

I knew I never should have sold my 4-runner.! :)

SilverD

TDI
Silver 2002 Golf
Sounds like a cool project. Will the DMV agree to re-register the car as a diesel? If not as I understand the law you'll still be required to pass smog check, which will be a problem as the big computer in Sacramento will expect it to be a gasser . . .

sdturbo

Veteran Member
TDI
none
I talked with the DMV before I actully picked up a gasser wagon to base the project off of. They said I will be required to have a visual inspection and then my registration will be changed to diesel status :D. I cannot wait to have smog nazis out of my life forever! Oh and merry xmas

vwestlife

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 B4 Passat TDI sedan (sold)
The highest-power factory version of the VW/Volvo six-cylinder 2.4L diesel engine was the D24TIC: turbocharged (14 psi boost), intercooled, 129 HP @ 4800 RPM, 177 lb-ft @ 2400 RPM. Reportedly capable of 140 HP with proper tuning. :cool: Unfortunately this version was never sold in North America. :(

Even the U.S.-market D24T (non-intercooled turbo) was a very smooth and gutsy engine. Imagine the same overall power as a four-cylinder TDI, but with the smoothness of an inline six. I drove an '85 740TD wagon with the D24T engine and the 4-speed manual + electric overdrive gearbox, and behind the wheel, the only giveaway that it was a diesel was a soft chattering at idle. Once you get moving it doesn't roar or clatter -- it just purrs.

The main downside of a Volvo 240/740-series diesel is the car it comes attached to. Whether it is the homely styling, the overstuffed seats, or the dashboard and door panels that look like leftovers from AMC-Renault, these cars just don't have much aesthetic appeal. Sure, they're very sturdy cars and can carry a lot, but so can a B4 Passat TDI wagon. :p

sdturbo

Veteran Member
TDI
none
I disagree with you. The volvo has no styling, its a very form follows function kinda car. The interrior is as well as the whole car is as simple as possable. It has an advantage of being lighter than most modern wagons in its size. It is also rear wheel drive with a very common rear end so ratios and LSDs are cheap/easy to find. The suspension while simple functions very well. You see PLENTY of gasser 240s in the 300k mile range, I have managed to find one 745 diesel, it was an auto and had a blown hg. The rest have all been swaped to SB chevys... must not be that nice of a motor.

themightyquinn

TDI
1999 New Beetle Black
DPM said:
A Volvo 2- or 7- is light? Don't think so...
They're light by modern standards. The 240s weigh from 2800-3000lbs, the 740s a little bit more. I'd guess that's lighter than average for cars sold in the last couple of years at least.

sdturbo

Veteran Member
TDI
none
Umm yes, sub 3000#s is "light" by modern standards esp for a 4 door wagon. Lighter than anything VW in north america a least.

lupin..the..3rd

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat B4 1996
The 240's were nice because they came from the factory with serious brakes. Four-piston fixed calipers up front and two-piston fixed calipers in the rear. It's the only "non-sports car" I know of that came with fixed brake calipers in the 1980's.

My '87 Porsche has fixed calipers, but I think the 240's are actually larger!

The torque of the TDI will be a good match for the heft of a 240 wagon. Best of luck with the project, it sounds like a fun one.

TurbinePower

Veteran Member
TDI
None
Lupin_the_3rd said:
The 240's were nice because they came from the factory with serious brakes. Four-piston fixed calipers up front and two-piston fixed calipers in the rear. It's the only "non-sports car" I know of that came with fixed brake calipers in the 1980's.

My '87 Porsche has fixed calipers, but I think the 240's are actually larger!
Oooh, now I have the urge to see if I can fit Volvo 240 brake calipers to my Quantum... which doesn't have fixed calipers on any model. (Though the Syncro, which I drive, did come with 4 wheel discs standard...)

sdturbo

Veteran Member
TDI
none
Oh the list goes on, the brakes kick ass and don't even get me started on the turning radius... Its almost as good as my mini and is easily twice as long. Im seriously in love with this car. It has about $1000 in suspension mods and handles quite well. My previous daily driver was a 90 mitsubishi eclipse awd with about 500whp. I had all the suspension work, brakes etc to go with that and my big ass family wagon does eveything better except for the go really fast in a straight line part. If you can learn to like the looks (yes, I actully like the way 240s look) they are fantastic cars.

TurbinePower

Veteran Member
TDI
None
sdturbo said:
Oh the list goes on, the brakes kick ass and don't even get me started on the turning radius... Its almost as good as my mini and is easily twice as long. Im seriously in love with this car. It has about $1000 in suspension mods and handles quite well. My previous daily driver was a 90 mitsubishi eclipse awd with about 500whp. I had all the suspension work, brakes etc to go with that and my big ass family wagon does eveything better except for the go really fast in a straight line part. If you can learn to like the looks (yes, I actully like the way 240s look) they are fantastic cars.
Oh I already like the way they look. Very "stately" in my opinion, especially in comparison with modern cars.

I'd be driving one if it weren't for the fact that almost all the ones I could find were automatics, and I refuse to drive another automatic until my left foot falls off or I'm a "geezer" like my father. :D

sdturbo

Veteran Member
TDI
none
that was the issue I had, they were all autos... I just baught the cleanest auto I could find. The manual conversion is very straight forward and since the stock transmissions arnt that nice, you will want to do most of the work to put a better trans in anyway.

TurbinePower

Veteran Member
TDI
None
What trans are you planning on putting in? The TDi 5-speed won't work, it's a transverse and I think you (or someone?) said all the 240's are RWD...

SilverD

TDI
Silver 2002 Golf
It's great that the DMV will agree to list your car as a diesel with only a visual inspection . . . one of the big reasons I bought my TDI four years ago was to never have another smog test (my other car is a '73, thank goodness) and have to deal with that random test-only-or-regular-smog-station crap. What a time wasting pain in the tail. I used to have a smog guy I liked and trusted to be upfront and honest with me, but if I got a test-only I couldn't use him and had to take my chances with someone else.

I didn't realize that the old 240s are so light . . . it is appalling to me that my Golf is very nearly 3000 pounds, or about 250 pounds heavier than my old '87 Saab 900 Turbo! Given that a rear-drive car usually puts down power a bit better than a front drive car, your 240 TDI ought to do pretty well with a little tuning. Does it have a LSD in the rear end? To be honest I've never been a big fan of the 240 (from a suspension and comfort standpoint I prefer the Peugeot 505), but one thing the Volvo has is really superlative steering to go with that short turning radius. Parts availability is also excellent from what I've heard.

Regarding four-pot brakes on sedans, I think the Citroen CX also had four-pot front calipers in the '70s and '80s, but not many of those made it to the US.

speakerboy

Veteran Member
TDI
none right now :'(
This might sound like a newbie question (maybe because it is...), but what are you going to do about the gear ratios? Are they close?