Search results

1. psaboic

Losing coolant

Well, it's not a static leak...I filled up the coolant bottle today, ran it for a couple minutes with the cap off to double check for bubbling, and shut it off. Checked it 8 hours later and bottle is still full. Guess I pull the skid plate off this weekend when I get a chance. Oh...
  2. psaboic

Losing coolant

Great suggestions all......thanks. Hoping when I do look at it that it is not the water pump. If it is, I'm just gonna do another timing belt job since I am already in there. I'm using my old beater backup car right now so I am not driving it until I can look at it. An idea I just had was to...
  3. psaboic

Losing coolant

Hi all, haven't posted in a long time as my TDi has been running fine......until now. Long story short it has suddenly started losing about a reservoir bottles worth of coolant every 50 miles. No smoke out of the tailpipe so it doesn't appear to be burning it, and no oil or bubbles in the...
  4. psaboic

P0638

Hi all, Been a looooong time since I have been on here as my 2002 Jetta (ALH) is working fine. Right now I am working on a friends (single mom, two kids, deadbeat dad you know the story) 2013 Jetta TDi with the CJAA motor. Today she got a flashing glow plug light and check engine light, but...
  5. psaboic

2013 Jetta P0638 code

Hi all, Been a looooong time since I have been on here as my 2002 Jetta (ALH) is working fine. Right now I am working on a friends (single mom, two kids, deadbeat dad you know the story) 2013 Jetta TDi with the CJAA motor. Today she got a flashing glow plug light and check engine light...
  6. psaboic

150 Amp Strip fuse blows

Ok, I checked with VCDS, nothing came up except a notice that the Fan Control Module signal was out of range (probably explains why the fans come on and stay on. According to my Bentley manual for the Golf and Jetta (assuming it is the same for the Beetle as well) it looks like the alternator...
  7. psaboic

150 Amp Strip fuse blows

Yeah, I do. I can give it a shot and see. Something is definitely shorted to be drawing that much current.
  8. psaboic

150 Amp Strip fuse blows

Hi folks, I'm helping my niece with a no-start on her 2002 Beetle (TDI of course) automatic. First thing I did was check the fuses and found the 150A strip fuse on top of the battery had blown. Battery voltage is 12.5 volts measured at the battery with the cables disconnected. Well, I had her...
  9. psaboic

Another Camshaft Question

In the last 1500-2000 miles or so it has been noisier at idle, and now listening to it, you can hear a light rhythmic metallic tick or tapping sound over the normal diesel clatter. Almost sounds like nailing or a bad injector, but the injectors and nozzles were replaced about 15000 miles ago...
  10. psaboic

Another Camshaft Question

Hi all, Long time no post as the 2002 Jetta TDI has been not had too many issues outside of cosmetic stuff. Anyway lately I have been hearing some light lifter noise ( not only at start up, but when idling after a highway run. The car has 215K on it and is about 40K into the current...
  11. psaboic

Battery question

2002 Jetta TDI Manual 215K Battery started giving me some troubles. If the car is run daily in decent weather, no problem, but if you let it sit without running for 2-3 days, it doesn't have enough cranking power to start the car and needs a jump. Once started, as long as you run it daily...
  12. psaboic

Sudden low/no turbo boost

Ok, checked everything I could.....hoses, turbo actuator, etc.. All checked good. Fired it up and it worked perfectly, normal boost every time I needed it. So.....it looks like it was classic limp mode. If it comes back again, I'll get a new N75 valve.
  13. psaboic

Not sure if it is reset or not. I ended up driving another 300 miles to my hotel before I shut it off for the night. I will check for vacuum hose issues, sticking actuator, etc in the daylight. Just wondering if anyone had any ideas off the top of their head. Oh yes, oil level is fine, right...
  14. psaboic

Hi folks forgive me if this has been asked before, but search is not my friend right now. Anyway, I'm currently 500 miles from home on a business trip, car (2002 Jetta TDI 5 Speed) was running great. Filled up, took off, and noticed no or little turbo boost. Normally my gauge runs between 15 and...
  15. psaboic

Radio question

Uhhh.....Hellloooo!! Is this thing on? Is anyone here??
  16. psaboic

Radio question

Ok, after 18 years, I think the stock Monsoon radio bit the dust. First I lost AM reception, then about 6 months ago, I lost all FM reception as well. The CD player works fine, and I have a Sirius deck plugged in via the Cassette player and it works fine too. I just replaced the amplified...
  17. psaboic

So what would you do

Ok, based on all the replies here, and my personal preference I'm gonna show the car some love, fix it , and drive it till the wheels fall off (them put them back on and drive it some more.......) Ok, I guess the best approach is to pull the headliner out for repair first, and while it is out...
  18. psaboic

So what would you do

Details: I have a black 2002 Jetta TDI 5 Speed manual with 202K on it that I have owned since new (so I know all the maintenance is up to date on it). Car runs fine, no CEL, and only starts a little rough in cold weather after sitting overnight. Here are the issues the car has, Faded paint...
  19. psaboic

Quick question about DEF

What year did they start using DEF in the Passat and Jetta TDI's. Trying to settle an argument. Thanks
  20. psaboic

Glow plug testing

True, but that monitoring only tells you something is wrong with the glow plug circuit for a specific cylinder or cylinders. Actual troubleshooting tells you if it is a bad plug, a broken wire, loose connector, etc...... much better than throwing parts at a problem until it is fixed if you ask me.