Battery question

psaboic

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Jetta GLS Black
2002 Jetta TDI Manual 215K Battery started giving me some troubles. If the car is run daily in decent weather, no problem, but if you let it sit without running for 2-3 days, it doesn't have enough cranking power to start the car and needs a jump. Once started, as long as you run it daily its ok, but if it sits.....No go. If the temp drops below about 38 at night it has a hard time even if it was run the night prior. Last night I measured the battery voltage after a 30 mile highway run. With the car off it is at 12.5 V. Start it and it jumps to about 14.3 volts, so the alternator seems fine. I let it sit overnight and the voltage this morning was 12.10 volts. I started it and it jumped up again to 14.3 volts. I shut it off and checked for any parasitic drain and it only had about 10mA of drain so that is not the issue. Looked over the battery that came with the car, it is just shy of 5 years old, water level is fine, but it is rated at only 750 Cranking amps and 600 Cold Cranking Amps. Even though my cheap ass does not want to buy one, I'm thinking it is time for a new (more powerful) battery. Comments? That said, and without starting a thread war, any suggestions for a battery? Looking for the best bang for the buck obviously. Thanks in advance!

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Battery dead not holding a charge. I will save you some reading. Just go to VW and buy one. It will be the right one for your car and is as good or better than most others and is about the same price.

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, RED(5 Speed conversion) 2015 Golf SE
Get either an H7 (group 94R) (preferred) or an H6 (Group 48) battery. VW dealers have been excellent in the past as good sources.

What you need to look at is RC (reserve Capacty) - it needs to be 120 minutes or more. The Ca/CCA do not apply unless the RC is at least 120 - then get the battery with the largest CA/CCA. On a 2002 I would stay away from the AGM batteries.