Search results

1. S

FS: 1996 Passat TDI Tornado Red Sedan

Ok, this is not a feeler. We have finally and regretfully decided to sell my beloved 1996 Passat TDI. This car has been well-cared for and is Tornado Red exterior with rare factory spoiler. The interior is black with blue accents. New timing belt, water pump, all associated rollers done within...
  2. S

Exhaust options for B4 Passat?

Hey all, my Passat exhaust has broken just before the "suitcase" muffler but of course it was already broken after the cat. I have band aided it for a while but I took it to the shop and they want $1300 for a full exhaust incl. downpipe, cat, mufflers, labor, etc. I am currently running with the...
  3. S

Feeler: 96 Tornado Red Passat TDI running condition

Hello--it is with great reservation and regret that I offer a feeler for my beloved, daily driver of 10+ years Passat TDI. This car is in running condition, with many new parts including Bilstein TC struts and shocks all around, Sachs clutch kit a couple years ago, all new boost lines and N75...
  4. S

FS: 2000 NB TDI auto silver reflex $4500

FS: 2000 NB TDI auto silver reflex $5500 OBO Hey all, We've got a 2000 New Beetle TDI auto that we are considering selling. It has been well-maintained but it needs some additional work. It has 180k miles and is in good shape and running (well) condition. The GOOD: 1. New 100k timing belt...
  5. S

Feeler: FS 2000 NB TDI auto

Hey all, We've got a 2000 New Beetle TDI auto that we are considering selling. It has been well-maintained but it needs some additional work. It has 180k miles and is in good shape and running (well) condition. The GOOD: 1. New 100k timing belt all rollers, tensioner, water pump in the last...
  6. S

Still more oil leaks!

Uggh, I have still MORE OIL LEAKS even after:R &R Rear Main Seal replacement, cam, crank and intermediate shaft seals, oil cooler and stand gasket, oil pressure sensor, CCV tube replacement, valve cover gasket. What else can go bad here and leak? This is driving me nuts. Most of the oil I find...
  7. S

Why "swishing" noise and power steering pump reservoir overflow?

Hey all, I have been having this problem for a while. When it is very cold, say less than 20F and the engine is cold, I often have problems with the power steering pump reservoir overflowing and the pump making a "swishing sound" like it is starved for fluid even though it has enough. I have...
  8. S

Passat rear suspension mount corroded out

Oh boy, it just seems like the repairs on this car will never end! I had the shocks and struts replaced maybe a year or so ago, but I might have overlooked the actual strut mounts. I brought the parts to the shop, they were Bilstein TC struts and shocks. I had hoped the shop would have let me...
  9. S

Less obvious source of oil leaks on B4?

Hey guys, I just got done with changing out the oil cooler O-ring, oil stand gasket, CCV tube and a leaky oil pressure sensor, but it seems I may still have a pesky oil leak somewhere. I'm not sure if the is just residual oil caught up in the foam of the pan leaking out or if there is indeed an...
  10. S

B4 alarm horn doesn't work? Check this part.

Hey, with some help from this site I identified and fixed my non-working alarm horn problem. On the B4, the horn for the alarm is located behind the passenger side wheel well. You will have to unscrew and pull back the plastic splash shields to gain access. I found this part 357-951-113D and...
  11. S

A future dilemma...

My wife and I have been discussing her car, a 2000 New Beetle auto with 179k miles. It is and has been a great car, and we are thinking of handing it down to our son when he is old enough to drive, in a couple years. Now, here is my dilemma: I'm really paranoid about the 01M automatic...
  12. S

Is the stock New Beetle exhaust 2" or 2.5"?

I'm asking because I am considering replacing the catalytic converter on our 2000 NB TDI auto and I would like to know which catalytic converter to buy. Idparts.com has both sizes but I am anticipating using the stock exhaust if that is possible. Seems like a good exhaust shop could just cut out...
  13. S

Headlight bulb mod 2005 low beams thumbs up!

Wow, what a great mod for the B4 Passat. Slightly modifying the 2005 headlight bulb for use in the low beams on my Passat has really made a difference in light output, without being so glaring that people flash their high beams at me. Plus, those bulbs are cheaper than the 2006 halogens that...
  14. S

What to have on hand for oil cooler leak R&R?

Hi--I have determined that I must have an oil cooler and possibly CCV tube leak. It's not severe, but it is annoying as anywhere I park leaves a pretty good splotch of black oil smack dab on the pavement under the middle of the car. I have found a minor weep of oil on the grey oil pressure...
  15. S

N75 Vacuum readings--Turbo control line

Ok, I have been working on a low power issue with my wife's 2000 NB TDI auto and we have been narrowing down issues. The EGR and intake are clean, ALL vacuum lines changed, including the one to the turbo. The air intake is good although I have not torn into the snow screen down in the wheel...
  16. S

CCV vent tube on B4--How hard to replace?

Hey guys--I've read a couple threads on replacing the CCV tube on my B4 Passat. I believe I have a leak there and have had it for a while. I just would like to know how hard this is to change. I'd rather not remove the oil pressure senders since those aren't leaking. Looks like a 6mm Allen hex...
  17. S

For Sale: VW/Audi water pump pulley 068-121-031K

Hello--I must have mis ordered this part or something but it doesn't fit my car. I believe it is for 1985-1996 without power steering. Double check on that but the part # is 068-121-031K. It is a genuine part made in Germany. $20 + shipping or best offer. This may go on eBay this week so if you...
  18. S

2000 NB new struts. Which springs does this car have?

Hey guys--we are looking at replacing the struts on my wife's Y2K New Beetle TDI and I am confused about which springs this car has. I am looking at getting Bilstein TC struts/shocks which I have on my Passat, but I see they are offered for both regular and sport springs. What does the NB come...
  19. S

2003 NB 1.8T 60k miles what do you guys think?

We are possibly considering another NB for my wife, and we test drove a blue turbo 1.8t Beetle with 60k miles and kind of liked it. Now, to be fair, we have already two TDI's in the family, my 96 Passat TDI and a 2000 NB TDI auto. I didn't drive the 1.8T, but it seemed to be similar to the TDI...
  20. S

Water pump shot after only 3 years

Man, I knew my pump was on the way out for the last couple months, but I wanted to squeak it along and get another month out of it but no go. This pump was just replaced in 2007 and I believe I've only put on about 20,000 miles in that time. It should have lasted much longer than that. Today it...