Search results

1. S

2000 Golf ALH - Denver/Boulder CO

I seem to be having issues with posting pics. They look fine when composing but end up as hex when completed. If folks would like to see some pics, let me know where I can send them via email and I will do so.
  2. S

2000 Golf ALH - Denver/Boulder CO

Selling our '00 Golf TDI. It's been a great car for the last 16 years or so that we've owned it (we were the 2nd owners). It has roughly 310K miles on it, and still runs well. Here are the details, the good and bad: DETAILS 4 door Golf. Sun roof Manual 5sp Dark Metallic Blue outside Grey...
  3. S

Name that Engine Noise

Got some answers: The noise is there at a stop with the clutch in or out. The noise started slowly, it was more of a squeak at first, then it changed into the diesel clatter-like sound. If either of these are a clue to anyone.
  4. S

Name that Engine Noise

@Andrew Dale. Yes I can get a vid of the noise, but likely not until a few days have passed and I get the car back.
  5. S

Name that Engine Noise

@CtG, yes a manual. Possibly a failing clutch, though I would be surprised that a bad clutch might make a diesel clatter type noise. How would one test this theory, would pushing the clutch pedal in make the noise go away if that was it?
  6. S

Name that Engine Noise

Yeah, I was thinking that it might be cam/lifter wearing. Had not heard about IP clicking before though, what's that? Right now my kid is driving it, due to bring it back home in a few days. Probably will put another 100 miles on it, maybe less. For either of these issues, if the noise does...
  7. S

Name that Engine Noise

Our '00 golf is still running strong at 310K miles, but recently a new noise has appeared, and I was hoping the folks here might give me some clues. The noise is a what I would call a "noisy diesel" noise, sort of what my 86 Ford IDI diesel used to make all the time. However on the VW it...
  8. S

Driver's window sticking

Thanks for detailing the possibilities everyone. The clip thing sounds interesting, is there any test I could do on the window/door before opening it up to confirm or rule this out? Something like trying to rock the window in its channel or the like? I thought the clip failure caused the glass...
  9. S

Driver's window sticking

Opps. This is a 2000 Golf.
  10. S

Driver's window sticking

The driver's door window is having problems. It will go up and down just fine for the top 60% or so of travel. Below that it starts making groaning noises and eventually stops about 75% of the way down. Like it had hit an obstruction of some sort, or thinks that it has bottomed out. On the way...
  11. S

How-To: Hammer Mod w/Pics & Cake!

Hi all. A newbie (on adjusting IQ at least) question for someone. So from all that I have read, if you want less fuel getting to the engine, you want a higher IQ value, and a lower software adaptation number (this more or less a quote from myturbodiesel.com's writeup). What puzzles me is the...
  12. S

2000 ALH Code 17970

So my 00 golf (5sp) which had been running well (especially for its 300K + miles) suddenly started flashing the GP light and turning on a CEL. Only code in there was 17970 Quantity Adjuster (N146) Upper Limit Reached. It did not say intermittent, which I believe as the lights/code come back...
  13. S

00 Golf ALH, rough idle

I have an 00 ALH golf with a recent problem. It runs fine at higher rpms, but when the rpms drop (like when coming to a stop and the foot comes off the go pedal) it idles roughly. Sometimes so roughly that one thinks the engine would die, but it doesn't. Occasionally the idle smooths out and is...
  14. S

Bad needle lift sensor

Thanks all. Don't think it was the wiring harness since the original injector ohm'd out as infinite, so that was likely the cause. (But I suppose it might be the wiring too but seems a bit too much to think both of them failed at the same time) Also since the new one works fine at lower RPMs...
  15. S

Bad needle lift sensor

It read ~100 ohms, which from what I read is right. The old one had infinite resistance which threw the CEL and limp mode.
  16. S

03 Jetta TDI Alh injectors 5sp

Another interested party if they are still around...
  17. S

Bad needle lift sensor

Well, perhaps progress. Bought a recon'd #3 injector and installed it yesterday. It cured the 17655 and limp mode. It ran just fine in the driverway. I thought I was done but in taking for a test drive the engine would hesitate for a moment every now and then when over 3000 rpms. Checked the...
  18. S

Bad needle lift sensor

Well, CEL is on and the GP light is flashing, as well as reduced power on my 00 Golf. Pulled the codes and there is a "17655 Lift Needle Sensor (G80) open or short to +" code. Cleaned up the area and checked the wiring to the #3 injector. All seems OK, no obvious broken wires or the like. And...
  19. S

Testing the N75 Valve

Thanks. Yeah the coil resistance tested at ~20 ohms so comparable. I did test it by connecting the coil to a battery and found that it did make a clicking sound as well as change the flow characteristics when energized. I would just like to hear if this valve is supposed to be all one way or...
  20. S

Injectors that have been out of the car for a while

When I finally got to putting the head and injectors back on my 02 ALH, the injectors were smoking the neighborhood. I ran the engine on pure diesel purge (a can or two, run directly into and back from the fuel filter) and that solved things. If you are getting a lot of smoke, or if you just...