2000 ALH Code 17970

Steve777

Veteran Member
So my 00 golf (5sp) which had been running well (especially for its 300K + miles) suddenly started flashing the GP light and turning on a CEL.

Only code in there was 17970 Quantity Adjuster (N146) Upper Limit Reached. It did not say intermittent, which I believe as the lights/code come back after being cleared withing 1/2 a mile or so. No engine power or drive-ability issues yet even with the lights on, but I am a bit nervous about using the car given the number of posts here where this code has caused the engine to stop at inconvenient times.

Not much has changed or been done to the car outside normal oil/filter changes recently, with the exception of replacing #3 injector a year or so ago when the old one went bad. Timing belt isn't due for another 20K miles or so. Idle was occasionally a bit rough, especially coming down to idle from higher rpms, but not really a problem.

So I have done a bit of reading on this code, and it seems to be QA related; either gummed up, electrical issues, or broken in some other way. This is an area I have read a bit about but never tackled before, so I was hoping to get some advise before jumping in. I was thinking of a plan of attack as follows:

1. Check electrical connector at the IP.
2. Pull out the VagCom and check IQ and cylinder balance.
3. Run a can or two of Diesel Purge directly into the IP to clean out any gunk in there.

Does this seem like a reasonable plan to look for the cause of this code? Any other tests or changes I should try in here?

TIA

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI 2000 Jetta TDI 2000 New Beetle TDI ALL 5 speeds
If that doesn't solve it pop the top off and make sure the arm moves freely, if it doesn't look for metal on the bottom of the QA. I had one leave me stranded, cleaned QA, adjusted IQ and drove it home, then changed my pump.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk