Alh over boost issue

bubs526

TDI
None
Hi there I am reaching to see if any one could help me diag my issue with my 01alh. Ever since I put a new turbo on the car it make 35-40psi of boost not drivable. I currently have 11mm pump 764nozzles franks stage 2 cam, pd150 intake and intake manifold, large side mount Intercooler 4bar map sensor MAF delete stage 4plus tube from Malone machined pistons and forged rods. 2.5” exhaust, 04 fuel pump intake as well, and finally 17/22 turbo from Frank’s tdi.
I have checked vacuum system makes 29-30 “hg fuel system per vcds looks correct. Checked and rechecked n75 valve it is working correctly turbo moves freely no binding car does not smoke but boost is out of control.

Last edited:

P2B

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta, 2003 Jetta, 2003 Jetta Wagon
Have you verified the N75 is able to move the turbo through it's full range (3/4") using the VCDS test as shown in this video?

Have you verified initial actuator adjustment using a vacuum gauge - should start moving around 5 inHg and reach the stop at 18 inHg?

If yes to the above, talk to your tuner.

bubs526

TDI
None
Yes I have done this and it works correctly. I have contacted Malone many times and they told me that there is no issue with their tune.

P2B

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Take a boost/fuel (011-001) log and post it up. People here are typically more helpful than Malone.

boertje

Veteran Member
TDI
'01, '01, '03, ‘06 NB - TDIs all.
I have contacted Malone many times and they told me that there is no issue with their tune.
hahaha, yeah right…..! Did they ever ask you for any kind of logging to really see whats going on? Doubtful. Stage 4, as much as those tunes are advanced, i would be very careful with that kind of boost. I have 4 cars i maintain with ALH, 11mm and .205 nozzles with malone stage 2 tunes. Ran them for a decade. Always too much smoke and boost spikes. One can only hammer mod so far and then it becomes a problem. Then there was a better way that made sense to me. 2 of them have now been retuned with @burpod tuning where we actually run logging and diagnose first mechanical issues then proceed with actual tuning. The result is virtually smokeless (light haze), more power, more responsive, power throughout the rpm band without that “plateau” where power at upper rpm flattens out like I had with malone.
Today took my first mountainous trip with the 2006 bug bew dsg (689 miles) and managed to achieve a 10% increase in economy. 43.2 on this trip was huge. 74 mph and with the malone tune it was 38.5mpg on the same route. And to top that off, the car starts instantly now when warm. Always took 3-5 seconds with malone.
If i had to revisit my tuning decisions of a decade ago, today that would be @burpod which i have done and now will do the remaining ALH.

bubs526

TDI
None
No they never wanted any logs I asked many times and was told that there tune was fine and no issues with it. I know I can not drive the car because I am always afraid it is going to blow up. Want good is a daily driver that you can not actually drive, especially if you need to scoot can not ever use more then 50% throttle.

P2B

Top Post Dawg
TDI
If the boost control system is perfect and the tune is perfect, then the boost gauge must be wrong ;)

... or maybe they forgot to connect the vanes to the control lever when they built your new turbo.

bubs526

TDI
None
Well I have tried 3 different gauges. Lol all read the same. I pulled turbo apart and re checked everything. I can not get it to stop making that much boost.

Jim Lahey

TDI
01 Golf
My car also originally had a Malone stage 4+ and also had an overboost issue, can’t say for sure it was the tune because the vacuum lines were a rats nest but something to think about

bubs526

TDI
None
Yes I know I have pulled everything apart only have vacuum lines running from the vacuum pump to the accumulator and to the n75 valve. Everything else is deleted. What did you do to fix your issue?

Jim Lahey

TDI
01 Golf
Yes I know I have pulled everything apart only have vacuum lines running from the vacuum pump to the accumulator and to the n75 valve. Everything else is deleted. What did you do to fix your issue?
I fixed a bunch of stuff at once so I can’t say for certain what stopped the overboosting and limp mode, but even after that it would overboost a little until I had it retuned. Wasn’t as bad as yours but I got 30+ psi a couple times

adamss24

Veteran Member
TDI
audi a4 2.5 tdi 98 quatrro 6speed
I reckon the issue is boost control in the map and that gt17/22 hybrid ! Guys, forget about hybrids in this day and age, they are known to boost creep and the mismatch between the hot and cold side is bad. Just find a native turbo from this milenium and be done with it, the gtd turbos are well regarded and the gtb turbos we’re trully well tested In the last decade or so ! Try a gtb1756vk or a Gtd2060vz and you will never look back the same way at a gt1722…

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
82 rabbit vnt ahu, 98 jetta vnt ahu, 05 parts car, 88 scirocco.. :/
I reckon the issue is boost control in the map and that gt17/22 hybrid ! Guys, forget about hybrids in this day and age, they are known to boost creep and the mismatch between the hot and cold side is bad. Just find a native turbo from this milenium and be done with it, the gtd turbos are well regarded and the gtb turbos we’re trully well tested In the last decade or so ! Try a gtb1756vk or a Gtd2060vz and you will never look back the same way at a gt1722…
there's no problem with boost control on a "hybrid". not saying a newer gen isn't better, but a gt hybrid is not an issue to get good boost control when the tune -fueling/timing/n75 is right. everyone thinks in simplistic terms its just the n75 pre-map. so far from the case..... don't believe blindly in whoever is tuning you, just saying. non-issue if all is good and things done right. tuners love to pass blame.

that said, i'm excited to get a gtd2060vz which should arrive soon, my first gtd to test in person. when i will actually have time to fit it and fix therest of the car...ugh :/ i hope soon, because i miss my mk3. ,290s will go in at the same time and my latest ported head

CanadianALH

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta 5spd 2006 Jetta DSG (wifes)
that said, i'm excited to get a gtd2060vz which should arrive soon, my first gtd to test in person
Are you going to use the watercooling or oil? I have thought about doing to a V band downpipe set up. This is a really nice turbo.

dieseldonato

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 jetta
there's no problem with boost control on a "hybrid". not saying a newer gen isn't better, but a gt hybrid is not an issue to get good boost control when the tune -fueling/timing/n75 is right. everyone thinks in simplistic terms its just the n75 pre-map. so far from the case..... don't believe blindly in whoever is tuning you, just saying. non-issue if all is good and things done right. tuners love to pass blame.

that said, i'm excited to get a gtd2060vz which should arrive soon, my first gtd to test in person. when i will actually have time to fit it and fix therest of the car...ugh :/ i hope soon, because i miss my mk3. ,290s will go in at the same time and my latest ported head
Get on that brother, you got me itching to get one now. Lol

P2B

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Does anyone know how to post a photo from a phone on here?

454k30

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta
When you had it tuned, did Malone know you had a 4 bar MAP? Are you able to pull boost logs? You mention your gauge is showing 40psi. What is the ECU seeing and what is it commanding?

Is the boost spiking to 40 and then undershooting, or is it climbing to 40 and then holding?

The answers to this can help us a lot in diagnosing the issue.

bubs526

TDI
None
Hi yes my tune is for the 4 bar map sensor I do not know what it is supposed to show with vcds. But the car will at wot got to 35-40psi and hold. And under partial throttle goes through all the boost ranges. But as soon as you step on it goes to 35-40psi and it is scary.

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
Hi yes my tune is for the 4 bar map sensor I do not know what it is supposed to show with vcds. But the car will at wot got to 35-40psi and hold. And under partial throttle goes through all the boost ranges. But as soon as you step on it goes to 35-40psi and it is scary.
35-40psi on a gauge? You know the boost values in vcds are absolute, so subtract your barometric, for most peoplenot at high elevation that's around 1000mbar

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
if one were to take a vcds wink wink nudge nudge.. figuring this all out would be a whole lot easier than just guessing around wondering stuff :)

plus doing the few basic tests (15 min worth of easy checking) to ensure n75/vanes are all good, or at least reasonable

bubs526

TDI
None
Well I have checked over the entire engine rechecked timing, pulled turbo and pulled apart cleaned and reassembled put vacuum pump on turbo and set waste gate pressure checked n75 to make sure it was working it has 30”hg with car at idle I would upload pictures out I do not know how to do that from my phone. Watched and listen to the car with unplugging the n75 valve to see if the turbo is sweeping it all seems to be working correctly. I believe it to be a tuning issue for this turbo. When I have asked Malone to look at tune or to see if I could data log for them always was told no issue with our tune. I also recheck fuel pump timing and injection timing with vcds. Car does not smoke.

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
Well I have checked over the entire engine rechecked timing, pulled turbo and pulled apart cleaned and reassembled put vacuum pump on turbo and set waste gate pressure checked n75 to make sure it was working it has 30”hg with car at idle I would upload pictures out I do not know how to do that from my phone. Watched and listen to the car with unplugging the n75 valve to see if the turbo is sweeping it all seems to be working correctly. I believe it to be a tuning issue for this turbo. When I have asked Malone to look at tune or to see if I could data log for them always was told no issue with our tune. I also recheck fuel pump timing and injection timing with vcds. Car does not smoke.
take an 011-001 full driving log (20 min drive to work/grocery store) and post it up, or email it. if you get a chance to log some decent 5th gear pulls, 011-001-004 gives full picture. i think chances are a simple re-tune would end all the tail chasing :)