Value 2005 70K Beetle: broken turbo?

BeetlePD

Veteran Member
TDI
Beetle 2005
Due to unemployment I find myself short of cash. In a private sale, how much is this 70,000 mile Manual Beetle TDI worth?

The air conditioning doesn’t work (just outside air). The turbo stopped working ~20,000 miles ago, but the car still runs surprisingly well (not eating any oil or smoking). Just underpowered: 40 hp estimated.

I even drove it over mountains from Wyoming to California. Then to Texas & eventually Boston with no breakdowns. (Car is currently in suburban Philadelphia.)

— -If the answer is too low, then I’ll just keep the car & drive till it dies 🤷‍♂️ thank you :cool:

Last edited:

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I have a 2004 Jetta sedan, automatic, in fair condition that needs some PM and has a bad injector or harness (runs perfect until it warms up, then a cylinder drops and a DTC sets for the injector). I gave $0 for the car.

I have a 2004 Jetta wagon, fair condition, newer tires, has a dead (automatic) transmission. I gave $0 for.

I have a 2002 New Beetle, fair to rough condition needs lots of TLC, I have $156 for (the tow bill).

I have a 2001 Jetta sedan 2.slo that needs its engine swapped (overheated). I gave $0 for.

So I would say your car is worth between $0 and $500, depending on what is really wrong with it.

I could probably drag home one car a month and resurrect if I had the time. Lots of broken neglected old cars out there.

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
Suburban Philadelphia. Hmm I’m in northern PA, the all important question, auto or manual?

jetta 97

Vendor
TDI
2 X Jatta MK5 2006
I have a 2004 Jetta sedan, automatic, in fair condition that needs some PM and has a bad injector or harness (runs perfect until it warms up, then a cylinder drops and a DTC sets for the injector). I gave $0 for the car.
I would check harness first , 9 out of 10 times I find harness bad and it sets code for injector .

BeetlePD

Veteran Member
TDI
Beetle 2005
I could probably drag home one car a month and resurrect if I had the time.
Alnost every car you listed fails to move, so of course you got them for $0

My car still runs (just driven thousands of miles crosscountry), so it has to be worth more than the non-moving cars you listed.

drucifer

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 jetta sw tdi pd
Keep the car for now. It is ambulatory and can get you around for now even if it were only a backup car. Things will get better eventually with your employment.

cjolson140

TDI
1999.5 Jetta
If it doesn’t smoke or use oil, the the turbo is probably just fine. Have you checked vacuum lines, looked for boost leaks, tested MAF sensor? Can you move the VNT lever on the turbo by hand? There’s quite a few things that can go wrong with regard to ancillary/control systems which cause zero boost and low power. Could be a five minute fix.

BeetlePD

Veteran Member
TDI
Beetle 2005
Dealer mechanic couldn’t find anything wrong.
Keep the car for now. It is ambulatory…
I like your advice. Only problem with keeping the Beetle is ~300 dollars insurance & registration costs (due now). That’s a major cost when income is zero.

I suppose I could return the plates to the DMV & eliminate the bill completely. Just let the Beetle sit in the garage.

The bill would also disappear if I sold the car. I have another gasoline car with zero problems. (ponder)

JDSwan87

Black Swamp Thing
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 5 speed Lagoon Blue Metallic(sold); 2005 Jetta TDI Wagon auto
If I were in your situation, I would fully diagnose the cause of your no turbo. It's free... it could be a simple fix... after proper diagnosis, THEN make the decision to sell or keep.

To directly answer your question, with a manual transmission I'd say your Beetle appears to have had a rough life and is worth about $800-$1000...

BeetlePD

Veteran Member
TDI
Beetle 2005
Dealer mechanic already inspected the turbo, but could not find anything wrong. He said it should be working.

JDSwan87

Black Swamp Thing
TDI
Dealer mechanic already inspected the turbo, but could not find anything wrong. He said it should be working.
I wish you were closer, I would gladly help you diagnose it...
Do you have a CEL for low boost?
Have you rooted around the engine bay looking for a loose boost pipe?
Pulled the inner fender looking for a worn-through boost pipe?
Inspected the intercooler for separation between the aluminum and plastic housing?
Drawn vacuum on the actuator?

oilhammer

TDI
Who said my $0 cars don't move? LOL... I could drive the BEW with 3 cyl across the country. I could drive the one with the bad transmission in limp mode for as long as I wanted to. I could drive the overheated 2.slo as long as I kept it full of the coolant it burns out. I cannot drive this filthy Beetle. It runs fine, but I get itchy every time I sit in it, LOL.

Just drove another rescue project home yesterday. :)

BeetlePD

Veteran Member
TDI
Beetle 2005
Well three thoughts: (1) When the Dealer messed with the turbo, the car started eating its own oil: 1 quart per 200 miles. It eventually stopped & I don’t want it to start eating oil again (if another mechanic touches the turbo). The engine has stabilized.

(2) THE CAR RUNS. It’s only ~40 hp but it does move down the highway & slowly climb mountains (like the old 60s/70s Beetle). That means I can continue using it, without incurring extra cost.

(3) If Beetle dies, I have another car to use.

(4) Or buy another Beetle. Rather than spend ~3000 fixing the current car, I’d rather invest that money in a different car.

Last edited:

Franko6

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Jetta, 99, Silver`
I think when I have the chance, I'll go through all the dozen or so 'takeoff' turbos I have laying around here from when someone upgraded or I decommissioned a car. I think even someone on a super tight budget can afford what I have.

Not right now, but in a couple of weeks, give me a shout. I'll see if I can't get your car moving at 'normal speed' again.

BeetlePD

Veteran Member
TDI
Beetle 2005
Or drive my Chevy or Honda instead. The Beetle has broken A/C, damaged left headlight, broken cup holder, broken glove box, and so on. But my other cars are flawless.

Beetles and cars are just appliances like TVs and refrigerators. Use them til they permanently break; throw them away.

that’s my basic philosophy.

oilhammer

TDI
OK, so it isn't worth anything, so just let someone take it that doesn't feel like you do.

You talk out of both sides of your mouth. One side seems to think you have a windfall of value in the car, and it will help with whatever financial stress you've placed yourself. The other side seems to think the car is a worthless throwaway appliance. Which is it? You cannot have it both ways. Or do you just come here to get a rise out of the fans?

Are you one of those people that puts a car in a crusher and puts the video on the internet just to piss people off?

Why not just let someone take it off your hands? You clearly don't care about it.

gearheadgrrrl

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Golf DSG, '13 JSW DSG surrendered to VW, '03 Golf 2 door manual
"The Beetle has broken A/C, damaged left headlight, broken cup holder, broken glove box, and so on. But my other cars are flawless."

The only thing that really needs fixing is the headlight if you're going to be driving at night. But you've got "Flawless" other cars so it don't matter...

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
This game has been played out at least once in the past

BeetlePD

Veteran Member
TDI
Beetle 2005
You talk out of both sides of your mouth.
Yes a car is just an appliance to me, but I thought maybe it would be worth 3-4000 for someone else.

But I was wrong. Oh well. Maybe I can sell my 7000 mile Chevrolet Cavalier instead for 6 grand (according to truecar)

JDSwan87

Black Swamp Thing
TDI
Yes a car is just an appliance to me, but I thought maybe it would be worth 3-4000 for someone else.
Your Beetle would be worth about $3500 in my area with those miles in very good condition, operating as it should.

Truthfully, I believe your Beetle is in need of a simple repair and I'm unsure why you seemingly have zero interest in diagnosing it yourself. From an outsider's perspective, you are unemployed and have adequate time to self diagnose...

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Sounds like he needs some cash. But that car looks very bad, doesn't run right and is in need of lots and lots of catchup maintenance. It would take someone willing to take on a big project and willing to spend the money to make it right. Those people are few and far between. Now if you can find someone who just wants a running car and will pass inspection and is willing to do some work you may sell it but not for that kind of money.

BeetlePD

Veteran Member
TDI
Beetle 2005
I'm unsure why you seemingly have zero interest in diagnosing it yourself.
If the mechanic at the dealer couldn’t find the turbo’s problem, how is an amateur like me supposed to do it? It’s not realistic. So I’ll just sell my other car that works & get 5-6000 dollars for it. Thank you.

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
If the mechanic at the dealer couldn’t find the turbo’s problem.
Who says the mechanic at the dealer knows what he’s doing , most shot gun parts.

how is an amateur like me supposed to do it?
With the help and knowledge from the people on this site. You just need to listen to what they ask you to do to help you troubleshoot your issue with a minimal amount of cost……

Give a man a fish , he eats for the day…….teach a man to fish he will never be hungry.

Same applies.

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
I smell fish