AHU turbo upgrade

PassatLife

TDI
1996 Passat Tdi Wagon
Does anyone know how the Kerma K03/K04 Hybrid compares to Xmans 1749 bolt on?

I'm running DLC 1019s, Malone stage 3, 2.5"turboback and it smokes enough to obscure the vision in my mirror lol

From what I understand it seems I either need to reduce fueling through the tune, (which Malone wants to charge me $100 for :rolleyes:) or flow more air with a bigger turbo.

I'm trying to avoid custom fabrication at the moment so these seem to be my only options.

*I've tried adjusting IQ to around 8ish but throttle response becomes so sluggish its almost undrivable.

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
82 rabbit vnt ahu, 98 jetta vnt ahu, 05 parts car, 88 scirocco.. :/
The k03/04 is only mildly better than stock. Still teeny tiny exhaust... 2052 is good if you want to stick to a wastegate turbo

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
82 rabbit vnt ahu, 98 jetta vnt ahu, 05 parts car, 88 scirocco.. :/
I misread your post - I do not know anything about the xman turbo (however, xman is awesome!) But it seems that turbo is in fact larger than the k03/04, which Is fairly pointless IMO unless you want a direct replacement that needs little to no tuning changes

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
K03/04 upgrade is for stock to mild applications 15 years ago
Go with a much better conversion to a 17 series vtn and convert it or go big and cheap with a 2052.
Literally anything is better than the 03/04 turbo. For the money go a bit bigger

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
K03/04 upgrade is for stock to mild applications 15 years ago.
Go with a much better conversion to a 17 series vtn and convert it or go big and cheap with a 2052.
You missed this.

PassatLife said:
I'm trying to avoid custom fabrication at the moment so these seem to be my only options.
15 years ago? It’s a 25 year old car and still relevant today.

PassatLife

TDI
1996 Passat Tdi Wagon
Malone has agreed to give me a complimentary tune adjustment from stage 3 to stage 2 so I'll see if that helps. Otherwise probably going to pull the plug on the Xman unit, I've been eyeing it for a while now. Haven't seen any negative reviews on his other stuff so should be decent.

PassatLife

TDI
1996 Passat Tdi Wagon
You missed this.

15 years ago? It’s a 25 year old car and still relevant today.
I think theres truth to both statements. For bolt on, the Kerma hybrid was the only option for AHUs for a looong time, until Xman showed up a few years ago. But I've also read multiple accounts that the Kerma unit is only a marginal improvement...

I do have a K24 from a 1.6TD laying around that I was contemplating on using but I'm concerned about the lag from going to such a large archaic turbo