Carbonizing problem in a NEW TurboCharger

HowardWalker

TDI
2002 Golf TDI GLS 1.9L
I have a 2002 Golf TDI 1.9L. A new turbocharger was installed about 6 months ago. Less that a week ago, the vehicle was in the shop for servicing, an they had to remove the turbocharger to clean out the carbon.

Is there a way to prevent this problem by using an additive to the diesel fuel. Currently I am adding a can Seafoam, when the tank is nearly empty and I am at the pump getting diesel to refill the tank.

Any suggestions?

KLXD

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'98, '2 Jettas
I would use something designed for Diesels but I don't think it would solve your problem. If there is a problem.

What were the symptoms? Why did they think it needed to be "cleaned"? I's normal for the inside of the TC to have a coating of carbon.

HowardWalker

TDI
2002 Golf TDI GLS 1.9L
Carbonized Turbocharger

All I know is that the shop said there was carbon in the turbocharger, and some black smoke was coming out of the tail pipe. They said they removed the turbocharger, and it had a lot of carbon inside and they had to scrape it out.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
So, the $100 question is, how did they know the Turbo is Carbonizing? Did they tell you which part is carbonizing? Were there any DTCs? If so, what are the numbers.

What brand name is the Turbo?

Is the EGR still functional? (not de-tuned or removed)

This sounds suspect to me.

EDIT: Labor alone is going to hit you hard......

iluvmydiesels

Veteran Member
TDI
AHU
its not good to use sea foam or other certain treatments too often or every tank. sea foam is best used once every 6months, (less i think), a can in a full tank. its best to use the proper fuel treatment when filling up. i dont think sea foam has a big effect past the combustion chamber. it will clean fuel systems, combustion chambers, upper cyl lube, and such. i suppose it may improve combustion.
as far as carbon in exh manifold and past, in turbo exh side, i dont think it or any thing you put in fuel (thats supposed to go in it)will cause that. if your using it right. etc.
why did you put new turbo in, its possible when you put turbo in another problem wasnt addressed and your getting build up. injectors??
some people point out at times spirited driving can help prevent problems like this. stuff gets stuffed up in motor, intake or exhaust, it doesnt get blown out, worked, etc.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Possible the car has the wrong oil? Scrapping carbon off the turbo innards after 6 months sounds hokey.

HowardWalker

TDI
2002 Golf TDI GLS 1.9L
My Golf TDI Turbocharger Replacement

The vehicle began leaving a very visible "smoke" trail behind the car as I was driving it. I took the vehicle to a reputable shop. They diagnosed the problem as "worn seals" within the turbocharger. They said I had the option of having it rebuilt in their shop, or having a new one installed. Their recommendation was to install a new one, as it would be covered under a limited lifetime warranty (as long as I own the car, they would replace the turbo free of charge if it went bad) And the manufacturer would provide a free replacement. The new one was around $700.00 plus the labor, so I went for it.

The shop that de-carbonized the turbo, said the unit had a heavy coating of carbon on the interior.

HowardWalker

TDI
2002 Golf TDI GLS 1.9L
The oil and filter changes have been done at a local Jiffy Lube. The only filters I have ever changed, myself, have been the air filter and the fuel filter

HowardWalker

TDI
2002 Golf TDI GLS 1.9L
Spirited driving, huh? Like go out on the interstate and get the car up to 100MPH ? If the Virginia State Police pull me over, can a quote you?

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
It's not speed the engine needs, it's EGT...the engine working hard against a load. The high exhaust temps burn off deposits on the turbo vanes and control ring... deposits often formed by a lifetime of gentle driving and hence low EGTs.

Find a steep grade and climb it a few times foot to the floor in the highest gear without lugging...even at non-highway speeds. Accellerate briskly from stop signs. Ask the engine to work hard, even at City speeds.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Well, a bad Turbo seal is generally on the Exhaust side. Oil leaking there goes out the tail pipe, not thru the Turbo as the seal location is on the way out. On the Impeller side, air pressure keeps oil out, however, there may be evidence of oil as it comes from the Crankcase Vent Puck on top of the valve cover. How much oil is the engine consuming?

Generally speaking, veteran forum gurus don't recommend rebuilding a Turbo. If you installed a Prof Chinese Turbo six months ago, well, it could be trashed by now.

So, I ask again...

What brand name is the Turbo?

DTCs?

Is the EGR still functional? (not de-tuned or removed)

This sounds suspect to me.

EDIT: Spirited driving doesn't mean going 100 MPH. It means taking the RPMs up to 3200 - 4000 in each of the lower gears several times per tank of fuel.....

Last edited:

iluvmydiesels

Veteran Member
TDI
AHU
The oil and filter changes have been done at a local Jiffy Lube. The only filters I have ever changed, myself, have been the air filter and the fuel filter
^^jiffy lube.??. we ve had several posts about this. its not really a good idea to go to a quiki lube, not to say in a diesel and expect to think your getting the right service. diesels take special/if not specific oil and a good filter. as one member points out if your using the right oil, by jiffy lubes std, probably NOT!

Spirited driving, huh? Like go out on the interstate and get the car up to 100MPH ? If the Virginia State Police pull me over, can a quote you?
i typically go up to 75 maybe 80 mph. im not looking to get a ticket. thats not what i had in mind for you to understand. 'spirited', typically more than 1/2 throttle, thats the pedal, to 3/4 throttle, can be more. in different gears, dont beat on your car. get some speed, up to speed.

id say the 1st quote i made is a big problem of yours. your understanding of how to take care of your diesel seems an issue. we dont know, we can only know how much we know from here.
what type of oil/brand do you think goes into a diesel? filter? if your letting jiffy lube do that, what do you think they are pouring in?? more than 80% of the time, or easily more, not the right type.

HowardWalker

TDI
2002 Golf TDI GLS 1.9L
My Turbo and Oil

All I know about the TurboCharger is it was Made in the USA (100 percent). I think the name of the company begins with an "H". It wasn't made in China or purchased off of eBay. The box had a decal, "Made in the USA".

If I knew what motor oil to use, I would change it myself. But I don't. That one of the reasons I am here, to get "schooled" on the TDI. I even purchased a Chilton's manual. This is the first diesel I have ever owned, but not my first VW. When I was a teenager, I owned a red 67 Beetle. And gas was around 20 cents a gallon. When driving on an interstate, if a semi passed me, the Beetle would change lanes without me turning the steering wheel (the car would be sucked into the vacuum created by the passing trailer)

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Bentley is the manual you need. Chilton is okay, but a Bentley is far better.

Shell Rotella T6 5w-40 is excellent oil for your 02 ALH TDI engine.

Mahle is a good Turbo.......... doubt anything is seriously wrong with it. (Some of our Vendors sell on eBay)

Your ALH TDI engine is the best of the best VW Diesels and is really easy to maintain (my biased opinion). However, some of the maintenance items can be expensive.... such as a Timing Belt job, Intake cleaning (which should be done if it hasn't already been addressed), diagnosing Diagnostic Test Codes (DTC) using Vag Com now called Vag Com Diagnostic System (VCDS),,,,,,,, Ross-Tech is who to go to for a smart cable and the free on-line software...... < best investment you'll make to keep your TDI going (seeing them in the Classifieds lately).... And, there are lots of Sticky Threads loaded with good info.

I'm still suspect that the Turbo is not at fault.... Turbos don't blow black smoke unless the seal(s) is bad. Thus, how much is it going down on the Dip Stick?

By the way, how many miles on the car?

Last edited:

HowardWalker

TDI
2002 Golf TDI GLS 1.9L
The car is my daily diver and I use it to go to work, in town

Most of my driving is stop and go. Should I take it out, on the weekends, and run it hard?

^^jiffy lube.??. we ve had several posts about this. its not really a good idea to go to a quiki lube, not to say in a diesel and expect to think your getting the right service. diesels take special/if not specific oil and a good filter. as one member points out if your using the right oil, by jiffy lubes std, probably NOT!

i typically go up to 75 maybe 80 mph. im not looking to get a ticket. thats not what i had in mind for you to understand. 'spirited', typically more than 1/2 throttle, thats the pedal, to 3/4 throttle, can be more. in different gears, dont beat on your car. get some speed, up to speed.

id say the 1st quote i made is a big problem of yours. your understanding of how to take care of your diesel seems an issue. we dont know, we can only know how much we know from here.
what type of oil/brand do you think goes into a diesel? filter? if your letting jiffy lube do that, what do you think they are pouring in?? more than 80% of the time, or easily more, not the right type.

STDOUBT

Veteran Member
TDI
dos jettas
HW, you might not have seen Andy's edit a few posts back:
EDIT: Spirited driving doesn't mean going 100 MPH. It means taking the RPMs up to 3200 - 4000 in each of the lower gears several times per tank of fuel.....

Helps keep the intake and etcetera clean

EDIT-- only do the above advice with the motor at full temp!

Last edited:

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf, 5spd; 05 Jeep CRD
A: Poor driving technique, (for an ALH),
B: Adding seafoam on a regular basis,
C: Crappy oil, ever check the level?, likely overfilled.

Great cars, but you do have to learn how to use
them, and maintain them. German engineering will go 500k miles,
but you do have to treat it right.

At least you're here, and willing to learn, a good start!

My $.02.

HowardWalker

TDI
2002 Golf TDI GLS 1.9L
I don't know if this is considerer high milage or not...

Around 216,000. I can get the Shell Rolella and the oil filter from AutoZone

Timing belt, huh? It might be a good idea to have it changed, before it breaks. Is the TDI an "interference engine"? If it is, the engine will suffer some serious damage, if the timing belt breaks.

As to the dip stick. VW was crazy to install a yellow plastic sleeve for the dipstick. I had to order 3 different sleeves, to make sure I received the correct one. When I bought the car, I found out (much later) the yellow plastic sleeve was cracked, and the previous owner applied duct tape to it to hold it together

This car had a tough life before I bought it. The repairs, so far: front and rear rotors and pads; front struts and rear shocks; and of course new wipers all around. And the clutch went out. The clutch plate lining SHATTERED. And the replacement only comes as a kit - clutch plate, pressure plate, bearing, and flywheel. No big deal when the clutch plate shattered it scored the pressure plate. Replaced it with a Borg Warner kit. I wish it had been a Schaffer

I am still trying to source the door frame "bulb style" weather stripping. And in another posting, I am trying to find out which fuse goes to the front ACCESSORY socket. This vehicle doesn't have a cigarette lighter. The rear ACCESSORY socket works but the front one doesn't. If no one knows, I'll just get the ohmmeter out and check the likely suspects

And, at some point in time, I will need to replace the battery. The Chilton's manual stated that I have to keep power to the ECM when I change the battery (not difficult), otherwise the ECM will loose its programming, and go into a LIMP mode. Why did VW do this? Every other vehicle that I have ever owned, I could replace the battery, and the ECM ROM chip would reload the factory programming. After driving the vehicle for awhile, the ECM would "relearn" and reprogram itself.

Bentley is the manual you need. Chilton is okay, but a Bentley is far better.

Shell Rotella T6 5w-40 is excellent oil for your 02 ALH TDI engine.

Mahle is a good Turbo.......... doubt anything is seriously wrong with it. (Some of our Vendors sell on eBay)

Your ALH TDI engine is the best of the best VW Diesels and is really easy to maintain (my biased opinion). However, some of the maintenance items can be expensive.... such as a Timing Belt job, Intake cleaning (which should be done if it hasn't already been addressed), diagnosing Diagnostic Test Codes (DTC) using Vag Com now called Vag Com Diagnostic System (VCDS),,,,,,,, Ross-Tech is who to go to for a smart cable and the free on-line software...... < best investment you'll make to keep your TDI going (seeing them in the Classifieds lately).... And, there are lots of Sticky Threads loaded with good info.

I'm still suspect that the Turbo is not at fault.... Turbos don't blow black smoke unless the seal(s) is bad. Thus, how much is it going down on the Dip Stick?

By the way, how many miles on the car?

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
learn your lesson and take it to a reputable diesel mechanic in your area and ditch that hokey scam running shop.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
HowardWalker, the Chilton manual is full of snit ..... and I believe you will soon find out.

If the cig outlet is not working, I'd check fuses first..

216k miles is low miles for the ALH engine... there are numerous engines still going beyond 400k miles.

As for your clutch, it would have been a huge mistake to not change the entire package while in there.. The DMF (dual mass flywheel) is prone to go bad somewhere around 300k miles. Yours was likely going to bite the dust much sooner as it is obvious the previous owner had given it hell. Hopefully, you changed the Throw-out Bearing while in there as well as a few of the other things that should have been given attention.

Yes, the TDI engine is an Interference engine...

If you do not solidly know the history of the Timing Belt, it's time to change it... At 216k miles, it could be 116k miles on the present belt....... and, who knows if the previous TB change included all those things that are in the path of the timing belt, such as water pump, rollers, tensioner, etc...

Yep! You are at the right place to learn... (get you a Bentley)

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Yes it is an interference engine and yes severe damage will be done, if it skips a tooth or breaks. Not knowing this and about the oil shows you really need to read up here and learn about your car. There is a lot here you could learn. We have a list for trusted mechanics and you should really find one near you if possible for work especially the timing belt job, fuel pump, and turbo work and such. Many such as you have come to this site too late with horror stories of what happened to them.

How to and DIY thread
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=60705

Trusted mechanic thread
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=130044

VCDS locator thread
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=296841

Official maintenance schedule thread
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=372242

We also have some trusted vendors here for parts and supplies. Many of them can be found in this thread.
http://forums.tdiclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=62

The forum just for your model car is this thread.
http://forums.tdiclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12

Other info can be found on YouTube and myturbodiesel.com.
https://www.myturbodiesel.com/

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
[ quote ] I am still trying to source the door frame "bulb style" weather stripping. [ Quote ]

Check out the classified section and see whos parting out a car and purchase it from them a lot cheaper .

[ Quote ]
And, at some point in time, I will need to replace the battery. The Chilton's manual stated that I have to keep power to the ECM when I change the battery (not difficult), otherwise the ECM will loose its programming, and go into a LIMP mode. Why did VW do this? Every other vehicle that I have ever owned, I could replace the battery, and the ECM ROM chip would reload the factory programming. After driving the vehicle for awhile, the ECM would "relearn" and reprogram itself.[/QUOTE]

The only thing you will loose is the radio information, maybe , the clock in the car resets to 12:00 and the trip meter part of the odometer resets to zero.

As stated above throw the child on manual away and get the Bentley, you will not be sorry.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Better know as an Italian tune-up. To prevent carbon accumulation, do not baby the engine and accelerate to red line every day or so.

For the most part rebuilding a turbo is a waste of money because AFAIK the turbo manufacturers don't sell rebuilt parts for their turbos so the cartridge that they would use would be a Chinese ripoff. Don't go back to that shop.

If your replacement turbo was Chinese made the possibility of the bearing leaking is very real. I have heard of Chinese turbos not working correctly right out of the box.

iluvmydiesels

Veteran Member
TDI
AHU
thats a real nice pic of fuse location and description ST.

HW i think your not understanding a few things from the start. i mean we re here to help.
im not saying 'drive hard' in fact im in favor of more moderate driving. what i ll point out once i engage the clutch, rather easily i can go easy or zip. then again i know pretty well what i have. i ve been doing this for some time.
i dont want you to get a ticket or get your self into a situation where you might lose control. you should be a experienced driver, not a teenager. you just need for one to use some pedal, at times, i dont think it needs to be an every day thing. its like once twice a week maybe more, use some pedal and revs. ooh up to about 3500 or 4grand. when the engine is warm. the higher gears have some more effect. i ll get above 80 and + and back it off. just becareful and aware.
your not a diesel guy, but you have a good car. if taken care or properly they work out for some time. with good results.
you need to use the right rated oil and filter. air filter as well, and fuel filter. its usually best to know how to change these, and the oil and such by your self. your jiffy lube isnt going to cut it. it could already be a problem that has caused thats hard to straighten out. it should help to get your act right and the right stuff in your car.
the shop you have doing the turbo, im not 100% in line with other advice that you leave it, but that may be good advice.
a turbo that has 'bad seals' will smoke oil out of the tail pipe. so was the smoke they say they saw, back then when they did your turbo, bluish smoke?? it wasnt black smoke back then was it? did you see this smoke?
you need the right fuel additive to add when you put fuel in. every time.
the chilton manual isnt very useful.
you sound like you nit-picky, your focusing on little stuff like your cigarette lighter and a plastic dip sitck -extension, that are minor or not worth much worrying.
^->>, the timing belt you need to know. and have someone qualified handle it. i prefer like almost all work to handle my own. makes me know its done, and not just put together like its supposed to fail or cause problems down the road.
and as far as i know to change a battery you need the radio anti-theft code. just dont turn key on till you complete the batt change. i have a mk3 so im not 100% sure of your model, but the chilton isnt the best reference.

MAXRPM

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Jetta and 99.5 Golf, 2015 Passat TDI,BMW 2
Oh we buy TDIs cause great mpg torque and all but a lot of members are driving it and babying it, which causes carbon build up in the car, if you baby her, make sure once or twice a week make sure you carjack your own car and think the PD is chasing you, drive her like you stole her, rev her up redline it hard understand that your tdi needs to be driven aggressively to ensure that your TDI would be in great health down the line, many members love driving their tdi like a granny for mpgs thats the wrong approach to have a car healthy.

Franko6

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Jetta, 99, Silver`
A company whose name starts with 'H'. Well, I see it's not Hansautoparts, but Mahle, as far as I can tell, it's not exactly made in the USA. Not the last time I looked.

Now, truthfully, before I go off on any tangent, there are some basic principles that need to be adhered to.

First, the world is FRAUGHT with turbos made by guys who buy Chinese CHRA's and think that simply bead blasting a housing and putting in new nuts and screws with a Chinese actuator is 'a new turbo'. Nothing could be further from the truth. Then there are the companies whose greed and bottom-feeder mentality says to buy from the lowest cost, regardless of value. I try to avoid those places.

When checking out a turbo for proper boost, the use of some form of computer dongle, like the VCDS, or SnapOn, Genesis, and a few others is IMPERATIVE. There are several readings that need to be seen, like for instance, the MAF, MAP, injector balance and fuel usage that will give you some idea what your engine is doing, or NOT doing with the fuel entering the combustion chamber.

The other thing, without testing the interest of the local police department, is to drive the engine in the proper rpm range that it is intended to run. I'm going to guess, with you stating gasoline prices in the .20 range, then you are a contemporary of mine. You may have found your 'need for speed' has diminished to the point that your driving habits are more like 'putting around'.

You are not the only one; there are a whole bunch of people who can't seem to understand that the TDI engine, when babied, is actually abused. Shifting so the engine is running below 2,000 rpm on the upshift causes the engine to LUG. There is nothing more damaging to the pistons and rings than operating below the proper rpm range. AND, the engine will not run efficiently, ergo, it will make soot.

That does not mean driving it for an "Italian Tune Up'. It means your raise the engine's rpm to live in it's proper rpm range, which happens to be between 2000 and 3500 rpm.

So you understand, this is not a Detroit or a Peterbilt, Caterpillar or Cummins. Most of those engines are 2-3- even 5x as big and lumbering, slow engines in comparison. My Cummins, running at 2100rpm is doing all it really ever needs to do, but the TDI is just starting. So you understand, when you are on the interstate, doing 70, what's your rpm? That is usually less than 1/2 way to the TDI's 'sweet spot', which is more like 75mph and 2500rpm.

So, without flooring the accelerator, you will find by driving correctly, the turbo, and I might mention, also the intake, will stay much cleaner. And your engine will actually last longer, if you stop abusing it with low rpm running.

Good luck with your 'foreign' turbo.

If it's a Jetta, I have a whole set of rubber.

The non-operating cigarette lighter is more likely to be the plug itself. If the back one works, they are on the same fuse. Replace the lighter socket, but fair warning, it's not a lot of fun...

It's Schaeffler Group and a perfectly good clutch is something we stock. Just like the timing belt. The warning is to replace the belt when it looks perfectly good. That beats the alternative 'all to pieces'. While you are checking with me for the 'other stuff', you might ask about that, too. The normal interval is 80-100k or not more than 5 years. Since the previous owner was apparently abusive, you might get someone to look up from the bottom timing belt cover and see how the rollers and the water pump look; good or bad. There's nothing like the belt parting to ruin your day. We have made a stock in trade for cylinder heads. We can tell you all the things to NOT do, and some to do.

We have some very reputable mechanics we can suggest in VA, who are 'go to' guys and know their stuff.

Feel free to PM, email or call.

Frank

Last edited:

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Oh we buy TDIs cause great mpg torque and all but a lot of members are driving it and babying it, which causes carbon build up in the car, if you baby her, make sure once or twice a week make sure you carjack your own car and think the PD is chasing you, drive her like you stole her, rev her up redline it hard understand that your tdi needs to be driven aggressively to ensure that your TDI would be in great health down the line, many members love driving their tdi like a granny for mpgs thats the wrong approach to have a car healthy.
What a load. Multiple other posts have already said this isn't the way to accomplish what is being discussed. All you need to do is rev the engine, usually in lower gears, like when entering the onramp to the Interstate and other highways. The is no requirement to speed or drive like an idiot with the PD after you. You can hit these rpms in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gears easily without going over the speed limit or acting a fool. The car has no requirement to be driven aggressively. Driving this way will cause unneeded wear and tear on the car. If you have excess carbon in 6 months or less there is something else wrong with your car that needs to be addressed. Not driving habits or additives.