Yokohama YK-580 tires

jrock

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2001, Blue, Passat, 2012 Silver
Just purchased a set of Yokohama YK-580 tires (235/45-18), replacing the hankook tires.

Wow, what a difference a set of tires can make. Knowing what I know now, I would not have waited until I had 40k on the hankooks. Great traction, handling and are so smooth and quite. Not saying these are the best just so much better than the hankooks.

Volkswagen Group of America could probably sell a lot more Passats (at least on the test drive) by offering better tires.

yatzee

Top Post Dawg
TDI
see sig
Volkswagen Group of America could probably sell a lot more Passats (at least on the test drive) by offering better tires.
very unlikely. The very vast majority of VW clients won't notice that their stock tires are junk and that a better quality of tire could improve their driving experience

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta 2013 Passat SE 6Man
Do you mind keeping us updated on your MPG's? The tires that come stock are designed specifically for good MPG and some see a decent decrease after changing tires.

V-DubLuv

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf Tdi
ive had the 580's on my golf for about 30k miles so far. traction is pretty average, sidewalls are a bit soft but the tread wear on these tires is amazing, they still look new!

axnels2

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 jetta sportswagen
I am very happy with my 580's. They are quiet and durable and have very good traction compared to OEM... Had them for 12+ months but use winter tires in winter...

20IndigoBlue02

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf TDI-- deceased
Do you mind keeping us updated on your MPG's? The tires that come stock are designed specifically for good MPG and some see a decent decrease after changing tires.
The Hankook Optimo H426 that VW uses on the Passat are not LRR.

235/55r18, 215/45r17, 205/55r16, 195/65r15 are LRR, not used for the Passat application

inthered

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat
I'm no car newbie or anything but I don't see the stock tires as junk.

Why does everyone hate on them? They did me fine during last year's hellacious winter in New Jersey. I don't have any issue with them.

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta 2013 Passat SE 6Man
The Hankook Optimo H426 that VW uses on the Passat are not LRR.

235/55r18, 215/45r17, 205/55r16, 195/65r15 are LRR, not used for the Passat application
Never said they were LRR.

The Continental tires that come OEM on the Passat are branded as contiprocontacts, but they are specifically made to VW's specs, which includes MPG. You can't buy an exact match tire at tirerack.

Word on this site is that the same goes for the Hankooks.

Dirtracr95

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta Sedan DSG
I love my continental tires on my jetta. They handle well. Provided decent traction through everything. They will be getting replaced with a summer tire from continental, as ill have either a winter set of tires or a winter beater.