Yet another oil leak identification question.

craig5_12

TDI
05 Passat
I've been lurking on here since I acquired my 05 wagon a year or so ago. I couldn't find any specific pics of my leak through a search though, so now I'm on to my first post. I just changed the tandem pump, coolant tee and temp sensor along with two of the hoses back there because all that was a mess. I'm still leaking oil though and it's near the front of the motor, leaking down onto the AC compressor. What do you think? Crank?
Area of concern
Side of compressor
Above Compressor
Behind compressor
Behind timing cover
Behind timing cover again
Separate leak?

Last edited:

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
RIP-2010 Jetta 6spd 2014 Touareg Execline

Doobie666

TDI
2004 Passat Avant, 2015 Q7 TDI
I've been lurking on here since I acquired my 05 wagon a year or so ago. I couldn't find any specific pics of my leak through a search though, so now I'm on to my first post. I just changed the tandem pump, coolant tee and temp sensor along with two of the hoses back there because all that was a mess. I'm still leaking oil though and it's near the front of the motor, leaking down onto the AC compressor. What do you think? Crank?
Area of leak.
I think when engine is off, it comes down here.
another pic
Backside of compressor is clean.
Possibly oil from a different leak.
Hey Craig can’t see your photos.. follow the post on how to share photos

craig5_12

TDI
05 Passat
DOH!!! Sorry about that. I uploaded and fixed the links. Thanks Turbo and Doobie!

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
05 GLS BHW sedan 5 speed conversion. BHW Carver SantaCruz in progress
Possible front seal. Is the timing belt covered with oil Don't? Don't rule out the breather tube (top front left of motor) or valve cover gasket which which can also drop oil onto the ac compressor.

There is also also a turbo oil feed and drain at the back of the compressor.

craig5_12

TDI
05 Passat
Whew, it's been awhile. I'll have an opportunity to work on this soon. It's definitely not the breather tube. The valve cover has a little bit of a film around it but definitely not a leak of this magnitude. I wouldn't say the timing belt is "covered" in oil either, but it's a thicker film than around the valve cover. So...how do I get a good look at the turbo oil feed and drain? Any other way to diagnose a front seal?

DeliveryValve

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat GLS Wagon
I would suggest cleaning the oily areas with degreaser and hosing it off. That way you can better spot where the leakage coming from in a clean area.

craig5_12

TDI
05 Passat
Yeah, I did that already. That's why I did the tandem pump because it was leaking back there too. I'm pretty certain this is the front seal. So, considering that, this oil leak is going to lead me to BSM delete and timing belt change. Those things need to be done anyway...I just didn't want to drop the money on it yet, figure it'll cost about $800. I'll have a full week to work on it soon, so I need to start getting things lined up parts/tools wise. I've heard mention of renting tools, can anybody point me in the right direction? Is there a definitive list of all the things needed for the delete and timing belt change?

zzdiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
05 passat tdi Geared BSM and Bewcam 2nd 2005 deleted ,converted and bew cam stage 2 Malone3 tune.
If you are good with the hand tools then the only special tool needed is the crank lock.

Also an approriate bolt to lock the cam, and a tap for the oil hole.

craig5_12

TDI
05 Passat
Whelp, here I am, all torn into the BHW and discovered the BSM has already been replaced with gears. What's preventing me from just putting it all back together is that I'm not looking forward to removing the gear on the crankshaft or putting the sprocket on. I'm thinking the gear is probably stronger material so I shouldn't have to worry about breaking it. The write-up I'm looking at doesn't mention putting the sprocket on the crankshaft. Do I have to heat up the sprocket like the write-up recommends for the gear? I feel like I'm fixing something that isn't broke but I already came this far to replace the front seal so 🤷‍♂️
EDIT: Search is my friend...buried in the forum it says yes, heat to 450*...

Last edited:

Lotawood

TDI
2005 BHW Passat sedan
I heated up my sprocket in the oven. Carried from the house to the shop and used welding gloves to put on.
It probably was 250-300° by then. Only went half way on. Then I hit it the rest of the way on with a metal pipe and a BFH.
If I remember right, the pipe centered on a lip on the sprocket to help prevent crank scratches.
I did practice with the pipe setup first while at room temperature. Some grease on the crank also.

I might think hard about if I found a gear drive balance module in there. But I think the key way to the oil pump can still have wear issues.

zzdiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
05 passat tdi Geared BSM and Bewcam 2nd 2005 deleted ,converted and bew cam stage 2 Malone3 tune.
Personally if I found the gear drive balance shaft I would happily leave it alone. The one I did has about 160K miles on it and zero problems. And less vibration.

zzdiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
When I do a delete to heat the sprocket I lay it on a piece of steel, 1/2in by 4 by4in. Then wrap it all in a towel to keep it hot while I take it to the shop and it slips on easily.

craig5_12

TDI
05 Passat
So, ended up putting it back together withOUT doing the delete. So basically I just replaced the front seal...and I don't think the leak was actually coming from there in the first place 🤬. I've learned a lot and gathered necessary tools but not actually solved the initial problem of the oil leak. I haven't replaced the oil yet and it's still leaking because there are some drips on the floor this morning and I pressure washed and degreased it heavily yesterday. It seems to be coming from behind the engine side timing belt cover (that black plastic with all the diamonds). Maybe it's coming from the valve cover or camshaft seal or the head gasket? Am I overlooking something? I'm gonna pull the camshaft sprocket off now and remove that plastic cover to get a better look.

EDIT: Actually, I'm not going to pull it off and look. If it's one or the other, it doesn't matter right now. I'll inspect the cam another day and replace the valve cover gasket then.

Last edited:

Lotawood

TDI
2005 BHW Passat sedan
I think good call on leaving it gear drive BSM.
Leaking at front of engine?
There is a crankcase breather that got messed up along with the front lower cover on mine. When previous owner had a chain break on OEM BSM.
I don't think a geared BSM is stock on yours. Maybe a OEM chain broke on yours?
Could there be damage to a breather or mating surface of the front oil pan/crank cover?
I rarely see mention of the crankcase breather (if that is what it is called). Cover over a foam piece. Outside of oil pan. Between crank cover and turbo.