Would you buy this 2013 Passat TDI?

jimigunne

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI BRM
Its the SE premium model. Its got 134k mi on it. Havent test driven it yet. Photos look about showroom perfect. The car is at a dealer 150 mi away. The carfax shows that at 80k miles both the turbo and oil pump were replaced. Some VW dealership in San Antonio did the work. In the last 54k mi, nothing but routine oil changes and prev. Main. items. So i would assume the oil pump failed and took out the turbo. It wont have a warranty. If turbo was to fail again, thats probably a 2500.00 repair. What is the likelihood that the oil pump failure has damaged other parts so that the engine life is shortened? Is it worth a 9,000.00 gamble?

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
If the oil pump failing hurt the engine it would have become apparent in 50,000 miles. My guess is the turbo went out and the car had lower than normal oil pressure so they replaced the oil pump not that the pump completely failed.

Chrismak

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Pasatt TDI , 2008 Mercdes E-320 Bluetec, 1983 300D mercedes (Sold :-(
I’ve been away from this forum for a number of years after doing a 5 speed swap on my Passat . Actually sold it to a member on here . Curious if it’s still running. I had the balance shaft issue , vapor lock from coolant leak head gasket that cracked a piston and of course transmission .
Just curious if I was in denial or I just loved spending time under the hood or under the car lol.

What else can go wrong with this Passat above apart from grenadine pump and turbo ?
Apologies for somewhat off topic rant .

Tom in PT

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat sedan - SOLD; 2013 Passat DSG; both purchased new
^ read up on all the issues with the '12-14 Passats in the Passat forum. Basically, once the dieselgate extended warranty ends, they are an expensive emission system problem waiting to happen, not to mention issues with the heater cores, overheating, replacement turbos failing, etc. etc. You are looking at a delete of the EGR, adblue and DPF systems to maintain any hope of long term reliability of this model and that costs $$$ (and is illegal, pollutes, etc.), No balance shaft issues, and the transmission is good, unlike the B5 so a different set of problems.