Worst MPG records for TDI

lundgrji

I'm curious about the worst fuel economy achieved by TDI powered vehicles. Vehicle, trans, loaded weight, towing, weather and road conditions, miles on engine and speed would all give interesting background.

lundgrji

I suppose I can start:
44 mpg, 98 NB, 5 sp.
80-115 mph, staying mostly at 85-90.
No significant wind, some grades.
Place: Montanna, I-90, last summer when the speed limit was "reasonable and prudent".
6k on engine.
First time I noticed soot on rear bumper was after this drive.

S

SkyPup

I managed to get 36 mpg in my Wett Jetta while I was breaking it in after the first 1,000 miles. At the 1,000 mile mark, I would take it out in the back woods up to Steinhatchee, Sopchoppy, Two Egg, and environs between UF and FSU cruising at the ton mark similar to you. No one else in the car, no one on the deserted roads with me, hot as hell in the sun, AC on, tires at 35 psi, straight Chevron diesel with some 4 ozs of Marvel Mystery Oil to seat the rings and lube the fuel pump. Always varying the speed and load on the engine.
Since it has broken in and is on the second oil change at almost 11,000 miles, now I normally get 44-48 mpg everywhere all the time under all conditions. Now using Power Service Diesel Supplement to keep the injectors clean and Bardhal Cetane Boost for close to 50 cetane fuel. Pretty damn good as far as I am concerned. Runs great, but not as good of mileage as my wife NB TDI.

PS - I bet TAZZMAN can't even post on this thread because he has never gotten BAD mileage in his TDI

------------------
99 JETTA TDI HERR WETTERAUER TORQUEMEISTER
98 KAFER WETT SPEKTAKULARE TURBOKOMPRESSOR
97 KTM 620 ADVENTURE RALLY PARIS-DAKAR SUPER THUMPER
ICH LEBE MEIN TECHORAD JETTA TDI MIT DIREKTEINSPRITZER TURBOKOMPRESSOR

[This message has been edited by SkyPup (edited August 06, 1999).]

**DONOTDELETE**

Okay, I'll bite:

40-mpg with just me and the car driving like a madman.

35-mpg with 700-lbs of cargo inside and outside the car (exterior storage unit) while traveling about 80-mph through the mountains. Read the "Our Tour of the Northern US" page on my website for details.

29-mpg while towing a 600-lbs trailer with open top. It was like dragging a parachute.

------------------
Scott, KE4WMF
98 Jetta TDI w/39,000 mi
53 mpg (US) w/AC

http://members.aol.com/ThreeRibs/Volkswagen.html
(Features TDI Articles and Sound Files)

jrcanoe

38mpg With canoe on roof and lots of gear, going 80mph most of the way.

------------------
99 TDI Red Beetle
eyelids
FD. spoiler

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
6.7 L/100 km (35 mpg US) while towing a trailer with 2 motorcycles on it, probably 1500 lbs total trailer weight. That was mostly highway driving at 110 km/h, but included a top-speed test to see what this rig would do ... topped out at 140 km/h.

Brian
'96 Passat TDI

Jerry C

I win.

35.1 MPG driving no faster than 70 with only myself in the car (99.5 Jetta, 5 Speed). The dealer indicates I should continue driving it until the 5K service interval (what a crock of bull). - I bet even Fred can get better mileage (on a good day)

Its now up to 38.1 after 2500 miles. After I get the dealer to fix the car, I will enjoy it like the rest of the TDI gang.

Jerry

Peter Cheuk

Gasser :P
TDI
'06 Jetta GLI
36MPG. Commuting and having too much fun at it. Chased an E36 M3 up 101 to San Francisco hitting triple digits in traffic. Same tank, did same with a 944 (they both started it!). In town (about 30% of the commute at the time) I was revving to 4000 regularly. Just me in the car and good weather conditions.

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
41.52 towing a sailboat at and for a while just over 100 mph. Other readings on that trip to FL and back are 42.56, 41.62, 43.11 and after I dropped off my brother and his gear in D.C., 44.71.

------------------
Jonathan Bartlett

Frasch

7.17 l/100 km (= 32.8 US MPG) on a 800 km trip to holiday destination in south Germany. Mostly Autobahn at some 160 km/h (100 MPH). In a 115 hp 'Pumpe Duse' Passat Variant, 4 persons + luggage, 2 bikes on the towball carrier.
On the way back: 7.25 L/100 km (32.4 MPG).

colucci

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 1998 Green
Summer: 38 mpg - canoe and 2 bikes on the roof, 2 passengers and a lot of beer (in the trunk
)

Winter: 34 mpg - normal driving! Some of that #1 diesel absolutely sucks!

D'nardo

------------------
Smokin into the new millenium...
98 Jetta TDI mit Wetterauer chip

**DONOTDELETE**

Hi,

WHO WINS? This topic is WORST mpg records. Therefore, aren't I the big "winner" at the 29-mpg posted above?

I have to admit that I haven't done so poorly in a long time. That's the only time I've ever pulled a trailer.

------------------
Scott, KE4WMF
98 Jetta TDI w/39,000 mi
53 mpg (US) w/AC

http://members.aol.com/ThreeRibs/Volkswagen.html
(Features TDI Articles and Sound Files)

M

mickey

That is quite nasty, I must say. The worst I ever got was 43 mph, but I think I might have squeezed more fuel in the tank than I started off with. The best was 49 mph. Driving habits seem to make so little differnce with this car that I've pretty much decided to just have fun and stop worrying about it.

-mickey

Bry

The worst I've ever done was a night time haul from Charlottesville, Virginia to Gainesville, Florida this past spring. I was moving all of my stuff back home and had my Passat packed to the roof (almost literally everything I owned). Made the 800+ mile run with about 40,000 miles on the car, on a single tank of Exxon Diesel, and turned in an economy of 40 mpg. Was doing roughly 80-85 mph (indicated) for most of the trip, and humming along around 2800 rpm in 5th gear. I've also tied that mark with a whole bunch of city driving on one tank too.

I find this engine in this chassis to be remarkably consistent, the fuel economy doesn't vary by much at all... city or highway driving.

------------------
96 Passat TDI (sedan)