Wiring Harness Unicorn

Rumblebunny

TDI
Mk4 ALH Beetle
I have a 2002 Beetle, 1.9 TDI ALH, auto trans. I recently replaced the alternator. The fusebox on the battery also fried, and I was advised to replace the alternator wiring harness too. The problem is, they don't exist. VW doesn't make them anymore (Original part number is 1C0 971 349H). No one seems to make an aftermarket one. I can pull one from a junker, but it's still a 20 year old harness of unknown history. What it will probably come down to is having one made. Has anyone done this? And do you have any recommendations for a shop/manufacturer? Electricity is my Kryptonite, and I'd rather not risk frying everything by doing it myself.

jef@rosstech

Associate Ross-Tech Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 Dog hauling, wood towing, pinball stashing Jetta wagon
I would not bother with a used one from a Beetle, high rate of failures. However, the ones from Jetta and Golf vehicles of the same error, way lower rate of failure and if I could find a "clean" one, sure, I'd go for it.

And I believe ones from a 2.0 base engine (and maybe the 1.8T) will fit. It is really just a matter of length.

Rumblebunny

TDI
Mk4 ALH Beetle
Jef said:
I would not bother with a used one from a Beetle, high rate of failures. However, the ones from Jetta and Golf vehicles of the same error, way lower rate of failure and if I could find a "clean" one, sure, I'd go for it.

And I believe ones from a 2.0 base engine (and maybe the 1.8T) will fit. It is really just a matter of length.
------------
From what I've been able to find, they are different part numbers. So which other model TDIs have the same exact part?

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
ALH engines from Golf / Jetta are interchangeable, and probably would work on Beetle, too, as stated above - just be sure all cars involved have the same air conditioning situation (either have one or don't, as the alternator harness has the A/C connector on it).

I recently swapped a ALH into a 2.0L gas car (both 2002) and the alternator wire was indeed different - I think the gas car one was a bit shorter.