Winter MPG - how much decrease is normal?

dpetrzelka

TDI
MK4 Golf TDI
I just got 38.9 MPG on my first tank with the 2003 TDI Golf. Being unpleasantly surprised by the low numbers I went looking for the problem - 3 tires were about 24PSI. Brought them up to 38 PSI, and will hopefully bring my average up over 40.

Make sure to keep an eye on tire pressure.

derek5120

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 jetta GLS
I just got 38.9 MPG on my first tank with the 2003 TDI Golf. Being unpleasantly surprised by the low numbers I went looking for the problem - 3 tires were about 24PSI. Brought them up to 38 PSI, and will hopefully bring my average up over 40.

Make sure to keep an eye on tire pressure.
I've been averaging around the same 37-40mpg on my last few tanks.
2003 alh, rad is blocked. Getting anywhere from 800-850km during winter, I was averaging around 1000km during summer. On a side note, my afterglow plugs are not activating (the ones on the thermostat housing) I've got good resistance, but I haven't gone into the circuit yet. How much do those plugs help with cab heat? Should I even bother diagnosing it?

Wankel7

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
I understood, I was just adding the idling question on top of the rest of the discussion. Sorry to add to the confusion.

But your statement "that common rail cars use more fuel when coming up to temperature" still is not registering with me. You say the AHL takes much longer to heat up. So are you saying in the shorter time period - let's say 5 minutes - the common rail is running to reach temp, it has used more fuel than the ALH which has run for - let's say 10 minutes - to reach temp? That doesn't seem right.

Note I'm not disagreeing with you, but rather trying to understand better.

I think what you mean is this:
Let's say the CR burns .2 gallons to come up to temperature, and it takes 5 minutes. It then burns .1 gallons over the next 5 minutes, for a total of .3 gallons in 10 minutes.

Now let's say the ALH burns .1 gallons per 5 minutes right from the get go, using a total of only .2 gallons over the same 10 minute time period.
Let's say they both use .1 thereafter.

In actuality, they both used .2 gallons to reach temperature, but the CR used it quicker and reached temperature quicker. So it's not using more fuel to get to temp, just using the same amount faster. For the full time period of 10 minutes it takes the ALH to reach temp, the CR used .1 gallons more than the ALH, but operated with heat 5 minutes sooner.

In this scenario, the ALH is achieving better overall FE, and bearing out your short trip statistics between the two. This would tend to prove out if longer commutes showed a closer result between the two as warmup time diminished as a factor of overall operating time. Is this along the lines of what you are saying?

Seems a fair trade for warmth, actually. I don't think any ALH drivers in MN would mind if their cars heated up quicker in January ;)
When warmed the SG is saying 0.11 GPH...sipping!

mittzlepick

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 jetta wagon (365k)2001 wagon tire burner 6spd 2003 wagon(417k)
600 per tank with my bew its vented but i go for 15.8 gallons per fill

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Don't drink the "Block your grill" Kool aid. Causes more problems than it is worth.
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=432189
Except that it hasn't actually caused any problems. Yes, you get a check engine light for intercooler performance, but it doesn't actually harm engine operation or damage anything. If this is a concern, then don't 100% block the grill.

Also, the CEL concern is only an issue on new vehicles - there is still a decade worth of older TDIs that can benefit from grill/radiator blocks in cold weather.

jhinsc

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL Premium
Last tank came in at 40.7, and typically has been running 42-44 mpg avg. I thought it would fall below 40 mpg with the cold snap we had. It got down to 16F overnight, and into the 20'sF several night with one day barely getting above freezing. I knew it was going to be cold and switched from Optilube Summer Blend+ to PS White Bottle for this last tank. If you click on my Fuelly badge below, you'll see the graph since Oct 2014 looks like a wild roller coaster ride! The longer term graph since last July when I purchased my Passat makes the graph look like gentle rolling hills except for the 'up' blips in early Oct and early Nov. The next 10-day forecast shows highs ranging from 50-67F and lows overnight from 34-46F, so it's back to Optilube for me! I am hoping to get my lifetime average up to about 44 mpg - about the same as my previous Toyota Prius v5. Still amazed at the mileage I'm getting in what I consider a full sized sedan. Funny how the EPA rates the Passat as mid-sized, but the interior space, wheel base, est., is full sized. I think anything larger should be considered 'oversized'.:rolleyes:

Last edited: