Windshield washer leak

bowelder

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 VW golf TDI with tech package
After two days of 9 deg weather my windshield washer on my 2000 VW Golf TDI doesn't work anymore. Filled tank and all still wouldn't pump. All liquid leaked out. Where would the leak most likely be, tank or pump? Any tips on removal would be greatly appreciated

Last edited:

FowVay

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta returned to der Führer
I remember back when I had a A4 Golf the hose that leads from the washer pump down on the washer tank would not stay on. When you hit the botton to spray washer fluid the hose would pop off and ultimately the fluid would leak from the tank.

My solution was to put a zip-tie on the hose to make the contact more snug. So look down at the washer tank where the rubber hose attaches to the pump and ensure that it's properly connected or that the hose isn't split or suffering from some other mechanical malady caused by 14 years of exposure.

curtludwig

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta, 2005 Golf
My car has a leaky grommet where the pump goes into the bottle. If I keep the bottle half full or less its okay. It also had a bad hose when I first got it. The hardware store provided a new hose. Pop the hood and squirt and see what's going on. Could be a bad or blocked pump too