Windows only work sometimes. What's going on?

Joester

Vendor
TDI
2002 Golf TDI
EDIT: SOLVED! SEE VIDEO ON POST #2 OF THIS THREAD.

Hey fellas,

Been a while since I've had any issues with my old '02 Golf, but finally some electrical gremlins (who'da thunk?)

Most of the time, my windows don't work. All four make a relay clicking noise when you press the window button, but simply don't respond at all.

Then, sometimes the windows DO work, but always stop working within seconds of actuating them. Right now as I type this, my drivers window is slightly open on my car because I cracked the window on the way home from work and then it wouldn't roll up for the rest of the trip home. It usually takes about 15-30 minutes for the window to work again after it stops working, but then of course it only works for a few seconds, so you'd better get those windows rolled up!

It also is probably worth mentioning that my car recently stopped honking when I lock it, but I suspect this is actually a separate issue with a finicky door switch in the right rear door.

Anyone have any ideas? I can do a VCDS scan if its worth it but my laptop recently died so I'd have to install VCDS on my girlfriend's laptop which isn't a big deal but that's the reason I haven't scanned yet. I don't want to bias anyones ideas but I've got to imagine it is a power delivery fault..... somewhere.

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Last edited:

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
I would believe there is a relay somewhere as the ECM controls how long after the key is turned off they can be actuated. A faulty relay could easily cause such an issue. Pull and check the relay when you find out where it is, if there is, try swapping it for another.
I would look in the VCDS forum on what you can do there.
Find a wiring diagram and figure out the wiring to them for testing purposes. Apply outside power to see if they are intermittent, which I doubt.

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
Thermal fuse if what I see it referred to on a google search. I would not think to look on the relay panel if I had this problem. Bentley Manual has it in position C, lower right hand corner. I jotted down the part # on that page just in case. Thanx for posting. I did replace the main switch on the driver's door because that particular window only worked on the auto down mode.