Window clips?

johnboy00

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat Wagon, 2004 Jetta, 2003 Jetta wagon
I went to put up my window yesterday and it got about half way up and made a sound like it hit something, or had a lot of resistance to motion. I got it most of the way up by lifting it up and then bringing up the motor mechanism.

Does this mean that my window clips are broken and if not, what is the likely problem?

Is this a difficult job to repair myself?

squishbang

TDI
'98 NB manual, '05 Passat manual
The O.P. did not specify front or rear door window. The window pin only applies to the rear door window regulator. If the regulator will only move a few inches with a crunching sound at all points of movement the regulator has failed, front or rear. If the regulator moves freely but the glass does not move then the front window clamps have broken or the rear door window glass pin has fallen out. Plenty of info is available for any of these failures to d.i.y.

johnboy00

Veteran Member
TDI
The O.P. did not specify front or rear door window. The window pin only applies to the rear door window regulator. If the regulator will only move a few inches with a crunching sound at all points of movement the regulator has failed, front or rear. If the regulator moves freely but the glass does not move then the front window clamps have broken or the rear door window glass pin has fallen out. Plenty of info is available for any of these failures to d.i.y.
Thanks for pointing that out. It is the front drivers side window.

I have a feeling, I'm going to drop this off for repair. I've had a few other door issues including a stiff handle and occasional difficulty to latch, especially when cold. For now, I'm driving my golf, since the wind noise on the highway is a little annoying.

hskrdu

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS 4D 5M, 2015 GSW SE 6M
This is a fairly easy DIY. Lots of other threads, but check this one (I posted some pics of the clips so you can check them, and Lito posted his DIY steps):
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?p=4737428#post4737428

The "difficulty to latch when cold," if not an issue with the microswitch, is usually fixed by adjusting the interior cable that runs to the exterior door handle. Can be done w/o taking the door card off.

BTW, of the window is slightly down, but not in the window clips, you risk having it fall in. It's better to pull it all the way up by hand, and tape it in place with something that won't mar the paint.

Otherwise, new window regulators (if needed) are available from TDIClub Vendors.

If you get stuck, I'm in Worcester for another few weeks.

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat GLS Wagon TDI 5 spd manual w/BSM delete 2011 Tiguan TDI/DSG 2005 Audi A4 Avant 6MQ TDI 2011 BMW X5 35d
If you can pull the window up by hand I suggest using a suction cup on the inside bottom of the glass which will prevent it from sliding back down and not mess up your paint.

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
If you can pull the window up by hand I suggest using a suction cup on the inside bottom of the glass which will prevent it from sliding back down and not mess up your paint.
I cut some soft wood wedges and just stuck them between the glass and the weatherstripping. Works like a charm and no sticky tape residue to worry about.

Last edited:

johnboy00

Veteran Member
TDI
It turns out that one of the cables snapped so I needed a complete regulator assembly. I found a Siemans/VDO brand (made in Taiwan) at www.Germanautoparts.com. They also had just the cable assembly,clips and rails, but since I had not done one of these before, I decided to get the whole panel. Kudos to German Auto Parts. After they were sent the wrong one from their vendor, they stepped up and had one overnighted to me for delivery this morning. Although, I didn't think I was going to get to it til Sunday, my golf picked up coolant leak last night so I needed to get the Passat on the road ASAP. I still have to swap the speaker over, but I can get to that over the weekend.