Why we change everything in the TB path

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
This isn't a TDI - it's a 96 Mazda 3.0 - but the theory holds the same. Replace everything that the timing belt touches. This timing belt was done a few years ago at the dealer where they replaced the belt and tensioner roller and nothing else. I don't have mileage on when it was done, sorry. They got lucky though. They thought it was just a Vbelt idler that was making noise but when I saw the idler and the belt had worn holes in the plastic cover, my TDI experience took over and I knew what was going on. Fortunately, the cams were off less than half a tooth, but it could have ended bad. OK, it's in an MPV, so it wouldn't be a huge loss to the world, but it would be to the owner.

BTW, Very easy TB to do. The water pump doesn't touch the belt, but the bearings felt a little loose and it was cheap and easy to do right then. Without the water pump a first timer could knock it out in two hours.The water pump may add half an hour with cleaning the old gasket off.

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
Amazing how some people do just enough to get by. Thinking of the dealer here, or maybe just the guy that actually did the work.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Sage advice. My pal had a 1998 too slow ABA gasser that was way overdue for a T/B, so I told him Mike, you need to replace the T/B before it fails.

He takes it to a shop were they only change all the belts and send him on his way.

Fast forward about 30K miles later and the T/B tensioner bearing fails causing jumped timing and severe damage to some valves/lifters. What is amazing is that the ABA is suppose to be a non interference engine. Pure nonsense..............

The lesson here is that T/B's rarely fail. It's almost always something else in the timing path that fails.

Last edited:

Thermo1223

Veteran Member
TDI
'00 Jetta 5M-'04 JW A5
I even asked when I got my first TDI about the a T/B change at the selling dealer.

"We only change the belt & possibly the tensioner if it is bad."

Yikes...didn't take long browsing here to know better.

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI
96 Passat B4V, ALH engine out of a 2002 Jetta, some IE Rods and ASV Pistons. Nothing drivable yet though
Ol'Rattler, the only non-interference VW motors that I know of for sure are the old 1.8 gassers from the mk2s possibly mk1s.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Ol'Rattler, the only non-interference VW motors that I know of for sure are the old 1.8 gassers from the mk2s possibly mk1s.
Sure. Folks have claimed that the ABA engines are non interference, pure nonsense.