Why bother to accept a buy back?

S2000_guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Sportwagen TDI
You two need to agree to disagree and just go your separate ways. Each can make plans based on their reading of the settlement and get on with life.

dropnosky

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta 6 speed, 2012 Passat DSG
You two need to agree to disagree and just go your separate ways. Each can make plans based on their reading of the settlement and get on with life.
The pain and suffering i am experienceing from my interpretation of your post entitles me to a cash payment for my trouble. I think about 15 grand should be enough to sooth my ills.

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
Each and everyone of you is entitled to your opinion... lets not go jumping through hoops to try to convince someone else to share your opinion. Doing so is a slippery slope that gets threads locked and folks banned :eek:

dmcdon2851

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 VW Passat TDI SEL Premium
I've had just about enough. I reviewed and then re-reviewed the proposed settlement and it just does not compensate us anywhere near what we are ENTITLED to. Doesn't VW know we have wants and desires. Don't they know we have been waiting years for a chance to sue a major corporation. Don't they know we would love to have much more money - especially since many of us have not properly handled our money in the past and know this is our one and only chance to hit the jackpot. No, they need to step up and make our dreams come true. Me, for one, will not be happy unless they come to their knees and offer a MINIMUM of 3 Million dollars and a voucher for a new vehicle every 18 months free of charge. Additionally, since they defrauded us we should get unlimited fuel for us and every member of our family. Yep, I am holding out until they come to their senses. What say you??

Last edited:

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
I don't want unlimited gasoline for my future free diesel vehicles!

I am happy with the amount proposed for the 11 Golf but think that the offer for the 10 JSW is too low. By using trade in values, it comes up about 3k less than my current tax bill from the lovely state of NC.

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Jetta (sold), 2010 JSW (sold), 2013 Passat 6MT traded for 2014 JSW with 6MT-TOTALED in November 2016, 2003 ALH 5MT conversion (sold), wheezing 2015 GSW/DSG and a new 2021 Tacoma Access Cab 4x4 p'up
I've had just about enough. I reviewed and then re-reviewed the proposed settlement and it just does not compensate us anywhere near what we are ENTITLED to. Doesn't VW know we have wants and desires. Don't they know we have been waiting years for a chance to sue a major corporation. Don't they know we would love to have much more money - especially since many of us have not properly handled our money in the past and know this is our one and only chance to hit the jackpot. No, they need to step up and make our dreams come true. Me, for one, will not be happy unless they come to their knees and offer a MINIMUM of 3 Million dollars and a voucher for a new vehicle every 18 months free of charge. Additionally, since they defrauded us we should get unlimited fuel for us and every member of our family. Yep, I am holding out until they come to their senses. What say you??
The restitution pays off my 2014 JSW and leaves me with enough cash for a new set of tires, along with an extended warantee on my brand spanking new emissions system :)

Where do I sign !!!!

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Jetta (sold), 2010 JSW (sold), 2013 Passat 6MT traded for 2014 JSW with 6MT-TOTALED in November 2016, 2003 ALH 5MT conversion (sold), wheezing 2015 GSW/DSG and a new 2021 Tacoma Access Cab 4x4 p'up
What's Available for trade-in???

If you like automatic transmission, you're in luck. But if you want three pedals, well the offerings are pitiful:

I checked all across the State (Missouri):

Maybe 25 or less 5MT 1.4T Jettas, all of which have fully manual cloth seats and one had alloy wheels. None had a sunroof. All have mini spare tire. No 12V port in the trunk, no 115V plug. Some had the connectivity option. The 1.4T makes sense if you're interested in the efficiency, and lots of torque for a gasser.

Sportwagens? 1.8T only, but not a single manual transmission connected to them. Lots of other features that I have on my TDI. Soccer-mom cars?

My 2014 TDI JSW has alloy wheels, full size spare tire, heated leatherette seats (a few cleaned up spills that you can't see!), 6MT (not 5MT), 120Volt plug, back up camera (first year), hands free voice command bluetooth for my phone.

Stuff I did? trailer hitch, VCDS mods

Some of you like GTI, others happy with an automatic transmission. Neither of those options work for me, so I'm still heading for sticking with my TDI. I'll take the restitution and pay off the car... Probably get the 3rd gen micron filter from Andrew with what's left.

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
You forgot the GTI :p
Man, it would be great if VW offered the GSW with the GTI's powertrain.

I'm looking very seriously at the GTI with the sport package:
http://blog.caranddriver.com/vw-gti...ast-expensive-way-to-get-performance-package/

There's also the All Track that many here may be very interested in:
http://www.caranddriver.com/news/2017-vw-golf-sportwagen-alltrack-photos-and-info-news

I'm going to miss this place since there's no other place like it for any other VW/AUDI.
True, I could have mentioned Golf 5MT and GTI. Or Tiguan for that matter. The former are too small for me (or most buyers considering JSW/GSW, or Tiguan), and I don't want a CUV/SUV.

I'd rather have the Passat Variant (Wagon) only sold elsewhere. The BlueMotion Passat Variant are available in Europe with a few different diesel powertrain options, and no problem getting a manual transmission in Europe.

I am right back to square one... my JSW TDI with 6MT and lots of comfort features is a unicorn in the US market now. There's nothing on the lot that appeals to me. Maybe in the future this will change.

GSwag

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat
I will be selling my car back. I love my 13 Passat, I've kept it in perfect shape and it's truly a joy to drive. Even my daughter told my family "I feel sorry for dad, for having to get rid of his car." It shows how much I lament giving up this vehicle. I respect the folks that intent to keep them. I don't have the guts for it. There will be considerable risks associated with keeping these cars. We have no idea what kind of restrictions could be placed on them. It may never come to pass but with the political situation being what it is in the country and the way I've witnessed rights eroded in the past number of years, there is just too uch risk for me to accept, when I can get out for a number that's relatively close to what I paid.

It's not really as economical to drive as it was before, with diesel hovering at <30 cents more per gallon than gas. I needed an AWD for the winters anyway so it's a good time for me to get out.....BUT, I will be sad to see it go and will be pissed. A lot of vw drivers are car guys and have grown a little attached to them, me included, even if it's nothing more than a mechanical, inanimate object. It's kinda like when people have sellers remorse when selling and leaving their house.

I guess things could change, if the offer changes but given my situation, I feel it wise to just take the offer.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
The two posts above illustrate what I've posted elsewhere: Either you like your TDI enough to keep it regardless of cost or risk, or you don't. There are a surprising number (to me, anyway) of people who are ready to dump their cars because the price is right. And some of them are multi-TDI owners.

I guess it shouldn't be totally unexpected. This engine is in the first high-volume sales diesel car models in the US. They were bound to attract people who don't have the affection for diesels that some of the earlier TDI owners have. But some do, it's pleasing to see.

I also think this story has more chapters to unfold. Revisions to the plan after the comment period, how dealers treat owners and cars' condition when they're turned in, whether or not there is a fix and how appealing an option it is...these are all open issues.

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
I will be selling my car back. I love my 13 Passat, I've kept it in perfect shape and it's truly a joy to drive. Even my daughter told my family "I feel sorry for dad, for having to get rid of his car." It shows how much I lament giving up this vehicle. I respect the folks that intent to keep them. I don't have the guts for it. There will be considerable risks associated with keeping these cars. We have no idea what kind of restrictions could be placed on them. It may never come to pass but with the political situation being what it is in the country and the way I've witnessed rights eroded in the past number of years, there is just too uch risk for me to accept, when I can get out for a number that's relatively close to what I paid.

It's not really as economical to drive as it was before, with diesel hovering at <30 cents more per gallon than gas. I needed an AWD for the winters anyway so it's a good time for me to get out.....BUT, I will be sad to see it go and will be pissed. A lot of vw drivers are car guys and have grown a little attached to them, me included, even if it's nothing more than a mechanical, inanimate object. It's kinda like when people have sellers remorse when selling and leaving their house.

I guess things could change, if the offer changes but given my situation, I feel it wise to just take the offer.
I'm right there with you GSwag!

There are just too many unknowns with these cars. I'm somewhat glad dieselgate hit before I could swap out the CP4.1 for a CP3 or drop a tune on it. I'd likely be much more undecided on keep vs buyback if I had gone that route.

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
On the bright side, the fine print for a fix includes a 4 year 48000 mile warranty (for higher mileage cars) on not only on new emissions equipment, but the whole fuel system, including the HPFP.

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SEL (totaled), 2013 Touareg Executive
On the bright side, the fine print for a fix includes a 4 year 48000 mile warranty (for higher mileage cars) on not only on new emissions equipment, but the whole fuel system, including the HPFP.
Does that start after the fix or after the settlement is accepted?

ksing44

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
I'm interested in this aspect of the settlement. For me the buyback amount (~$15K) is certainly reasonable or even generous based on typical trade-in values, but it would still put me in a position of having to add a lot of cash to get into a new car. I also still love driving my little car. It's just not quite the right timing for me.

I'm at the point where keeping a car is cost effective if it doesn't have major expensive repairs, so if I didn't have to worry about very expensive repairs driving my car for a bit longer might be the best thing for me. Of course my biggest concern is the HPFP, since I'm already past the extended warranty miles. I'm planning to retire in about 3-years, so after that time a GTI would be quite nice. For now, however, my Golf TDI is better suited for my commute. I'd also run a new car right into the ground and I think I'd rather finish off this car first.

I'm just wondering if it's a mistake to try to stay in the car. The buyback is a reasonable amount of cash and I wonder how much I'd get for my car in 3-years if I traded then. And then the difference in cost has to be balanced against depreciation and wear and tear on the new car if I got it sooner than later. There is also the compensation for the fix to be considered. It's a lot to think about.

Last edited:

11JSWTDI

TDI
2011 Jetta SW 6MT(sold)
I'm interested in this aspect of the settlement. For me the buyback amount (~$15K) is certainly reasonable or even generous based on typical trade-in values, but it would still put me in a position of having to add a lot of cash to get into a new car. I also still love driving my little car. It's just not quite the right timing for me.

I'm at the point where keeping a car is cost effective if it doesn't have major expensive repairs, so if I didn't have to worry about very expensive repairs driving my car for a bit longer might be the best thing for me. Of course my biggest concern is the HPFP, since I'm already past the extended warranty miles. I'm planning to retire in about 3-years, so after that time a GTI would be quite nice. For now, however, my Golf TDI is better suited for my commute. I'd also run a new car right into the ground and I think I'd rather finish off this car first.

I'm just wondering if it's a mistake to try to stay in the car. The buyback is a reasonable amount of cash and I wonder home much I'd get for my car in 3-years if I traded then. And then the difference in cost has to be balanced against depreciation and wear and tear on the new car if I got it sooner than later. There is also the compensation for the fix to be considered. It's a lot to think about.
Ksing44, nicely written! My situation is very similar to yours except I am now retired so I no longer have a commute. If I still had a commute, I would probably cross my fingers and continue driving my TDI, then hope for a fairly quick fix with the extended warranty.

Even without a commute, I may still keep my TDI; however, the buyback has become more appealing to me. There are a few other things I could do with that cash that are appealing to me.

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
I just hooked up my 5 x 10 utility trailer to the TDI. I am going to pick up a couch. It pulls this trailer without much effort (6MT). Hauls a load on the highway getting better than 30 mpg if I am in a hurry! Probably much better if I would slow down. Maybe I'll never know!

Trailer hitches are not recommended for many cars I am considering as a replacement (hitches not available for some), and don't have the torque to handle hills.

Yet another reason to keep the JSW.

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
That and pretty much everything else would get at best low 20s or teens towing. :eek:

nayr

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Audi Q7
I just hooked up my 5 x 10 utility trailer to the TDI. I am going to pick up a couch. It pulls this trailer without much effort (6MT). Hauls a load on the highway getting better than 30 mpg if I am in a hurry! Probably much better if I would slow down. Maybe I'll never know!

Trailer hitches are not recommended for many cars I am considering as a replacement (hitches not available for some), and don't have the torque to handle hills.

Yet another reason to keep the JSW.
80% of my miles are towing a 4x7 utility trailer with a 6MT, got ~36mpg with stock tune and now ~40mpg with aftermarket tune @ 70mph.. goes down hill fast over that speed.

My TDI gets almost no city driving, unless its some other city than Denver that we road tripped through.

I will not subject my self and my family to being molested by the TSA, one of the few things in this world I very much despise is a long line.. so if I dont wish to be arrested for harassing the stazi, travel via road is my only recourse.

nothing is an attractive replacement, we considered upgrading to a diesel T-Regg but the MPG's will go way down, and the maintenance costs will go way up.. right now we go visit our family 500 miles away with 2 dogs, 1 kid, 2 adults, and all the gear we care to pack for the cost of 2 tanks of fuel.. under $65 at current fuel prices.. Would love a Merc Diesel Sprinter, those are really affordable.. hah

When my parents come visit me in a jeep; costs them >$150 in fuel for the trip and all the dogs are left behind because the jeep is packed to the roof with camping equipment.. dad would never hook his trailer up unless he really had to, since its likely to double his fuel costs.

Nothing can replace my 6MT Golf TDI, I waited a long time to get me a TDI.. I wanted one for at least 10 years before I bought mine, if it ever leaves my family it'll be one of the biggest mistakes I've ever made.. I work from home and my car does not commute, its for pleasure and recreation.. since Ive had this never have we avoided or skipped a trip because we could not afford it at the time.. im at the age where I am attending more and more funerals and I am glad I can trust my TDI to be ready to get me there regardless how much money is in my wallet.

My son just learned to swim, so I am shopping around for a nice aluminum canoe to add to my trailer's load.. I suspect this might put a dent in my MPG's, but not much.

Last edited:

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
That and pretty much everything else would get at best low 20s or teens towing. :eek:
NONSENSE !!!

I hauled a gravely tractor, gravely trailer, sulky and 4 foot blade attachment in the same 5' x 10' trailer (3000lb capacity-no lightweight trailer) from North Carolina to Kansas City in one day (pushing pretty hard), and got just over 30 mpg (31.04 calculated). Look at my fuelly records. It's that dip in Jan 2016. That was only on one fill. The previous tank had some towing.

It's true. Anything BESIDES a TDI may be in the 20s or low teens. Maybe that is what you are implying?? "That and ..."?

As I said, yet another reason to keep the car.

Last edited:

ksing44

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
Ksing44, nicely written! My situation is very similar to yours except I am now retired so I no longer have a commute. If I still had a commute, I would probably cross my fingers and continue driving my TDI, then hope for a fairly quick fix with the extended warranty.

Even without a commute, I may still keep my TDI; however, the buyback has become more appealing to me. There are a few other things I could do with that cash that are appealing to me.

Thanks 11JSWTDI. It is a lot to consider. I think it's ironic that it's the NOX and not the HPFP that caused the big problems. If they covered the HPFP for the life of the car or recommended a replacement at a certain number of miles, I think I'd drive my car until the wheels feel off. I think all of the other expenses are manageable.

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks 11JSWTDI. It is a lot to consider. I think it's ironic that it's the NOX and not the HPFP that caused the big problems. If they covered the HPFP for the life of the car or recommended a replacement at a certain number of miles, I think I'd drive my car until the wheels feel off. I think all of the other expenses are manageable.
For HPFP issue, there is an aftermarket HP filter kit available. It prevents the metal shavings from contaminating the entire fuel system (VW should have included this in the HP CR engines). If/when the HPFP fails, it reduces the cost of recovering your TDI to HPFP replacement. Less than 5% of these fuel pumps fail. But if mine does, I will be ready.
The option to keep your TDI includes an extended warantee on the fuel system and emissions system (including the HPFP). I think it is a 48 month extension from the date of modifications at VW dealership. I'll need assurance in writing on that when I make final decision, but that will cinch it for me. I want to keep this car.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
I've written this before: you know how many HPFPs we've sold? Zero. You know how many gurus I know (and I know a few) have replaced? Zero. And one guru we work with has a customer whose car has been misfueled 4 times.

It's true that most HPFP replacements are handled by dealers, but even so the failure rate has been way overplayed. I wouldn't give it a thought, honestly.

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SEL (totaled), 2013 Touareg Executive
How would you make a determination of whether it's a valid concern if your data are coming from sources that don't typically handle the issue?

Jimmy Coconuts

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 JSW, 2010 Jetta, 2011 Q7 Prestige, 2012 A3 Premium, 2013 A3 Premium Plus, 2014 Beetle, 2015 Jetta
The NHTSA came to the same conclusion about misfuelings causing hpfp failures - as in there was no conclusive evidence that misfuelings were causing pumps to fail. The fact that pumps have failed on cars even with factory-installed misfueling guards in-place supports their finding.

Unfortunately, no one has any recent data on pump failure rates (whether they are increasing/decreasing/static) since the NHTSA concluded their investigation.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
How would you make a determination of whether it's a valid concern if your data are coming from sources that don't typically handle the issue?
By comparing it to other similar systemic failures, PD cams for example. Most of the PD cam failures occur after 120K miles. We sell a lot of cams. There are now a lot of CR cars that have HPFPs and over 120K miles on them. Our timing belt kit sales indicate this. However, no demand for HPFPs.

We sell a fair number of exhaust flaps for CR cars. Those, too, were warrantied until 120K. If HPFPs were failing in any significant numbers we'd see demand outside of the warranty. We don't. We have a lot more turbo failures on CR cars.

And I agree that HPFPs don't fail because of mis-fueling. I maintain that, by and large, they don't fail at all. I think the NHSTA numbers are not useful. They were unable to diagnose reasons for failure, or even characterize what failed. And I also think a lot of pumps were replaced under warranty unnecessarily. Just my opinion.

Last edited: