Who is keeping their TDI and not fixing it?

KC10Chief

TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
We bought our 2015 Passat TDI last September, a few days before the news came out about the diesel gate thing. I was pretty disappointed in Volkswagen. However, we absolutely LOVE the car. It gets great mileage. I can get close to 50 if I take it real easy on the highway. It's a blast to drive. Probably the most fun car we have ever had. It has a ton of room. I love the way it looks, smells, the trunk space, etc. After we got the deal in the mail that told us what they'd offer us to buy it back or fix it, I went around to all sorts of dealers to look at other cars. There really is nothing else like it. Maybe the BMW. That thing is very expensive though. More than I'd care to pay for a car.

Now, I've been thinking about just keeping it and not taking it to the dealer for the fix. I wouldn't get the money, but that's not that big of a deal. We only have 10,000 miles on the car. My wife drives about two miles each way to work. She refuses to let me drive it to work even though I drive a Jeep Wrangler that gets 14 mpg and my commute is 20 miles each way. She loves her car that much. If I take it in and have the "fix" done, I fear that the performance and mileage will both decrease. I could then just get a Chevy Impala or something that gets the same. If I sell it back, I'm getting something I don't like as much. Maybe a Ford Fusion or something. So, we are just thinking about doing nothing and just keeping the car as is. When I bought it, that was the intention all along anyways. Anybody else thinking about doing the same?

seth1065

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW with DSG, Panoroof, rear air bags and the always fun velcro blocks, Blue with beige int
Well if you love it , keep it but 2 miles each way is not really using the TDI the way it is meant to be used, if your willing to give up the cash , and you are , go for it and enjoy it, I would recommend getting on the buyback list and wait the 2 years to decide, if there is a fix test drive a "fixed Passat" and see what the difference is and decide. There is no downside that I know of to get on the list and decide in 2 years that you do not want the fix.

Armby

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf
There is no downside that I know of to get on the list and decide in 2 years that you do not want the fix.
Also no downside to just waiting for two years (not bothering to register) and then register if you want the fix or buyback.

Airpizz6

Veteran Member
TDI
Now TDI-free, but there now is a 15 MB E250 BT in the driveway
In 2 years there should be tons of data of how Gen 3's are affected by the fix. Maybe a few less MPG, maybe increased AdBlue usage, maybe a half second longer 0 to 60, etc. But the $8000 restitution will cover that many times over. There is no reason to make a decision today.

Jicafold

TDI
2012 Audi A3 TDI
My wife drives about two miles each way to work. She refuses to let me drive it to work even though I drive a Jeep Wrangler that gets 14 mpg and my commute is 20 miles each way. She loves her car that much. If I take it in and have the "fix" done, I fear that the performance and mileage will both decrease.
If she lives 2 miles from work who cares what kind of performance and mileage decrease there is. Besides...2 miles? She should be walking or riding a bike.

KC10Chief

TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
Good points. We'd love to ride bikes to work. That's pretty dangerous here in Oklahoma City though. There's no sidewalks and the roads are narrow. It would only be a matter of time before you got hit by a car. My wife's commute is pretty short. I drive it to work when she doesn't have to work or go anywhere. We'll be moving out of state next year and will likely have a much longer commute. Regardless, we love the car. I'm in no hurry to do anything. The dealer we bought our car from has about 30 TDIs that are just sitting on the lot that they can't sell. Maybe I'll get to drive one after it's been "fixed".

Airpizz6

Veteran Member
TDI
Now TDI-free, but there now is a 15 MB E250 BT in the driveway
What? Did I do a Rip van Winkle? Did they come up with a fix yet? Did I sleep through that announcement?
If not, ALL of us who are keeping their TDI will not be getting the fix.
So if there is no fix, you won't be getting one?? Hmmm. That's way too logical for this forum.

jbright

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta DSG
I suspect there will be no fix offered for the 2009-10 cars. Therefore, I will either sell it back or keep it and I'm sitting on the fence at this point.

Mark_J

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 TDI Passat SEL Premium, 2017 Fiat Spider, 2017 Ford F350 6.7 Diesel crew cab PU, 2016 Harley Trike, 2016 Tesla Model X P90D (I know went to the dark side)
Just an FYI, if the TDI is only driven the 2 miles and never driven down the highway to get it good and hot in order to clean the DPF, you are going to have issues with it plugging up because it never gets a chance to regen.