Who has done a fuel filter replacement on their own without VCDS?

Nutty 5.0

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW SEL TDI 6MT
I'm coming close to my 20k and have the filter. I haven't read much about it other than using VCDS to prime the pump after replacement. I have access to using one but I have no experience with it and my uncle who owns it does but nothing TDI or MK7.

I'm not new to working on things, but new to diesels. Is it acceptable to get a gallon of diesel and presoak the filter prior to installing it and cranking until it starts (assuming this isn't best practice)?

I'm not against going to dealer to have this done but I do all my own work and it's more of the trust factor. I have two lifts in my garage and have done all sorts of projects over the years.

Thanks for any advice.

bballppaul

TDI
2015 Golf TDI S - Buyback, replaced with new 2015 GolfSportwagen S DSG
There's a thread on here somewhere about the fuel filter change. A page out of the service manual was attached, but the bottom line was that no priming of the fuel system was required for the fuel filter change on the ea288. Is it a better idea to prime the fuel system after a change? I don't really know, as I'm not a mechanic.

When I hit 20k, I did the fuel filter change myself. It was really easy. I removed the 5 bolts, removed the cover, slowly lifted out the old filter so the diesel could drain, installed the new filter, rubbed some diesel fuel on the gaskets, and then replaced the cover using a star pattern to tighten the bolts. Also don't overtorque, its pretty easy to do so at only 5 N-m. I didn't prime the fuel filter, just went and started up the engine. I had no issues, but YMMV.

Last edited:

Nutty 5.0

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW SEL TDI 6MT
Thanks, I saw some saying yes and no. I'll update in a few weeks when I do mine. Pretty simple to do, that's for sure!

mdroid86

TDI
2015 Golf TDI S, 2012 Jetta TDI Premium (sold)
i have done it twice so far, there is no need to prime the fuel system. i even checked with a tech before i did it. very easy process!

Matt927

Veteran Member
TDI
several
The VW tech who lives down the road from me says he does it every time as it is easy insurance against damage to the HPFP. With that said, most do not. They drop in the old filter, don't top off the canister and start it up.

Last edited:

Sunnyb

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW
I did it without any problems before on my old car. On the new I topped off the canister. Either way, I had no issues and also the filter is way easier to pull out on the 2015.

Mr.TDI

TDI
15 GSW
i just had mine done.. it seems when shops request the parts they get the entire assembly for the filter and canester. so if the price is crazy thats why

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta TDI/'15 Golf TDI
First time doing it on my Golf, it didn't start back up. So I ran the "pump electronics" output test with VCDS and all was good. Not a comforting feeling, so I've run the pump for the last two fuel filters and will continue to do so.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Pure nonsense. No you do not need VCDS to change a fuel filter. A lot of folks that rave about VCDS have no clue on how or when to use it.

Last edited:

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
Pure nonsense. No you do not need VCDS to change a fuel filter. A lot of folks that rave about VCDS have no clue on how or when to use it.
I wouldn't call it pure nonsense when some have reported no-starts after a filter change. I did not top off the filter that first time that I had an issue, so that may have been all that was needed. I also don't keep diesel laying around, so I'll continue using VCDS to run the pump for twenty seconds and call it a day.

Sunnyb

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW
I wouldn't call it pure nonsense when some have reported no-starts after a filter change. I did not top off the filter that first time that I had an issue, so that may have been all that was needed. I also don't keep diesel laying around, so I'll continue using VCDS to run the pump for twenty seconds and call it a day.
Well, what does that mean for the no-starts? Does it mean the car would not start at all. Or they stopped it after a couple of cranks and got worried about damaging something.
I have changed about 8 fuel filters between the two cars and I haven't had one problem. Replacing the fuel filter will enviably introduce air into the fuel system; which in my experience does not damage anything. Also, I understand the diesel fuel lubricates the fuel pumps.
For me I have a lot of other things to worry about other then changing a fuel filter on a car.
I say, if your concerned about it then use the VCDS to run the fuel pump.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
O.K. Maybe not pure nonsense, however you don't really need to run the fuel pump with VCDS on a common rail. What you could do is after you fill the canister, go to start a few times. It would work the same as going to run a few times like you do on the BRM to run the lift pump.

On a CR, go to start for 2 seconds at a time and shut off. After about 3 times, your fuel system should have all the air purged out because the start position will run the lift pump.

Matt927

Veteran Member
TDI
several
I was under the impression the lift pumps do not run in accessory position on the Mk7?

I have to dig around the computer but I know I have a service advisory that dealers received asking them to prime the fuel system after filter replacement.

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
Well, what does that mean for the no-starts? Does it mean the car would not start at all. Or they stopped it after a couple of cranks and got worried about damaging something.
I have changed about 8 fuel filters between the two cars and I haven't had one problem. Replacing the fuel filter will enviably introduce air into the fuel system; which in my experience does not damage anything. Also, I understand the diesel fuel lubricates the fuel pumps.
For me I have a lot of other things to worry about other then changing a fuel filter on a car.
I say, if your concerned about it then use the VCDS to run the fuel pump.
Correct, car ran for a second and died, tried again and it just cranked for several seconds before I stopped it, tried one more time with same results. Very easily could have fired up and been fine on the next crank, who knows. At this point I guess it's just preference.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
As for the manual, it is true (and has been) that the procedure for the filter change does not include specific steps to prime the system,

but there is a clear caution that calls for priming the system whenever any component between the fuel tank and injectors is replaced or opened up.

last time i checked, the fuel filter is in this path.

will it kill the car right away to skip the step? seems not.

but it does seem like a prudent step.

and the common rail cars do not operate any pump until the car starts to crank.

there are lots of differences between the system specific parts for each generation of engine.

the design of the fuel filter for the EA288 makes it easier to top off the filter can with the new filter installed, but still will be air that replaced fuel that drips from the hoses attached to the top.

for me, using the pumps via VCDS is the cleanest way to fill the filter cannister before starting the car.

Nutty 5.0

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW SEL TDI 6MT
So I performed my 20k today and did the fuel filter. Super easy. I did pick up 3 gallons of diesel to use to top off the filter when replaced. I'm sure that helped. The car started right up. No VCDS but I did finally order one.

So no concerns in this situation. My cousin works for a VW/Audi dealer and he said they don't even top off the fuel filter with fuel.

Last edited:

nectarguru

Veteran Member
TDI
Black 2015 Golf SE
I wanted to save some money on the filter change so I had my old Mk4 mechanic do it for my 20k service. He didn't know that VCDS didn't work on the Mk7 at the time, so we ended up just topping off with diesel. It fired up no problem. So, I can also confirm that you don't need it.

And in the end he did it for free! Called it an experiment.

GetMore

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Passat TDI, 2010 Jetta Sportwagen
For whatever it is worth, I have changed the filter on my car three times now, and never topped off the filter or ran the pumps, and the car always started right up and never even hiccupped. However, I don't empty the housing, and I change the filter while I am draining the oil, so the fuel in the housing gets to soak through the filter and cover the pickup by the time I complete the oil change. I then start the engine and run it for a few seconds to ensure the oil is pumped through the engine before shutting it down and verifying/topping off the oil level. So, I could be stopping before the fuel level drops too low in the housing, and by the time I restart it the pump has done it's bit.

Right or wrong, it has worked for me.

fredthe

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium DSG, 2015 Golf Sportwagon SEL DSG
I now have VCDS so on the first filter change on my GSW I used it that prime, but here's what I did with my '13 Passat to prove it wasn't needed:

Removed filter
Drained/cleaned canister
Placed cover back on canister (didn't screw down)
Turned on ignition for a few seconds (heard lift pump run)
Looked in canister, observed fuel.

So, on my '13 Passat, turning on the ignition runs the pump, so no VCDS is needed. Just cycle ignition a couple of times before starting.

This is quick and easy to check, so just do that the next time you change your filter. Then you'll know if you can prime it with just the ignition switch (or button).

Nutty 5.0

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW SEL TDI 6MT
Good info guys. And good point about oil filter change. I took my time with that and rotated tires too so the filter would've gotten pretty well saturated too even if it did/does drain back slightly. I will say it's a super easy job.

Rob_TDI_13

TDI
2013 Jetta TDI
I've never used vcds either when changing fuel filter. I have 98k on my 2013 Jetta TDI premium with navigation 6M. I just let as much fuel as possible drain back in the canister as I'm slowly pulling the filter element out. Place the new one in and allow it to soak up the fuel and it fires right up every time.