white smoke at start up

Thadude

TDI
2001 Jetta
Hi, I'm seeing alot of white smoke on a cold start. the temperature outside is above 20C. I have a '01 jetta. My '03 jetta does not smoke at all. Is this normal.

SoCalJames

Veteran Member
TDI
I no longer own a TDI
Could be the fuel? Are you losing coolant? Does it smoke after every start-up, or only those where is has been sitting for awhile?

Thadude

TDI
2001 Jetta
only after sitting a while. fluids are all fine. Could be the fuel. it stops after about 4 secconds and runs fine. when started warm it does not smoke

SoCalJames

Veteran Member
TDI
I no longer own a TDI
Yeah, I'll bet you it's the fuel. I'm assuming you're in Canada, yes? If so, you might want to give Sunoco gold a try. When I lived in Detroit, I'd drive across the border to Windsor sometimes just to get it. It's basically the same fuel we have here in Kalifornia and is great.

Thadude

TDI
2001 Jetta
thanks for the prompt reply. I guess I'm just parinoid. If anything remotely seems out of place with my vehicles, I want to get them checked out. So far, thank god I've had no probs with my two jettas and hopefully nothing major happens in the near future.

Thanks again,
Ryan Geldart

SoCalJames

Veteran Member
TDI
I no longer own a TDI
Good deal! I'm envious of you that you can buy the new PD. We won't have diesels here in CA for quite some time! Make sure and clean your snowscreens regularly!