Whining noise and no power!

barnoldx5

TDI
2005 Beetle
My daughter drives an 05 TDI beetle and she took out the oil pan for the SECOND TIME on an parking block. After replacing the pan it starts and runs great at an idle, but as soon as you try to accelerate it makes a loud whining noise and feels like it’s lacking power. All the vacuum lines look good and are connected. It’s not throwing any codes. Anybody ever dealt with this?

Metal Man

Vendor
TDI
1998 NB TDI, 2006 Jetta TDI, 2014 Tiguan gas, , 2019 E Golf X2
I would be at least a little concerned she took the turbo out due to lack of oil. The other, cheaper option would be an intake leak if for example she also broke the intercooler.

barnoldx5

TDI
2005 Beetle
I would be at least a little concerned she took the turbo out due to lack of oil. The other, cheaper option would be an intake leak if for example she also broke the intercooler.
Yeah feels like the turbo isn’t working, and I was worried about it being damaged by lack of oil.

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
RIP-2010 Jetta 6spd 2014 Touareg Execline
Teach her how to drive or get her a jacked up vehicle..... make her pay for the repairs.... she might adjust her parking technique after that.
Put an oil pressure gauge on it and see if you even have good oil pressure now....
How long was it operated without oil or with low oil?

Hayze

TDI
2009 Jetta TDI 2.0L
Few things to consider, if she took out the oil pan on a TDI not only is the oil pan broke, The charge pipes are also probably cracked.
So its leaking boost, You will have 2 charge pipes that are either aluminum or plastic. (mainly acrylic, plastic) which are ran very close to the oil pan, and some models, has screws that mount the charge pipe onto the front side of oil pan.

I wouldnt say the turbo has failed, because if the power was weak from car detecting boost loss it will trigger (limp mode), the turbo does not spin as fast as normal which could save the bearings. The whining noise you are hearing from would be from charge side of turbo, in which you usually dont hear much turbo noise from any tdi because of the (turbo damper). Which is a muffler that reduces turbo noise back feeding out the intake (noises that everybody loves).

I would say the charge pipes and / or intercooler is cracked. (so jack the car up and check those)
If intercooler is cracked it will be leaking coolant. As the intercooler is a (water to air) cooler.

She could have also broke the flex pipe after the dpf filter which is where you are hearing the whining noise, grab a flash light and inspect the flex pipe.

(now for the punishing)
Most importantly, your biggest mistake is giving her a car that requires a LOT MORE attention, maintenance, care and cost.
TDI's can easily become money pits if you give these cars to the wrong people.
Im not a doctor but I strongly recommend you get her out of that car ASAP before she makes you go bankrupt on repairs and expenses.

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
My daughter drives an 01 beetle tdi 5spd. She loves it and doesn’t want anything different. Why push your daughter to a boring dime a dozen Honda/Toyota/whatever with a junk slush box?

My daughter has a diesel geek skid plate on her car. About a month and a half ago on her way to work along a paved secondary curvy road she ran over a rock as “big as a loaf of bread”. It bent that skid plate and caused a huge dent in it but her engine and transmission where fine. She brought it to me that night after work, I straightened the plate and all was good.

You’ll need to replace the turbo in her car, that’s probably the extent of additional damage from the broken pan, you may be able to find a used one for sale on this forum or locally which someone has removed because they want to upgrade. Your daughters car has a KP39 if it’s stock. If you buy new get one from a trusted vendor not eBay or amazon.

Metalmanparts.com, idparts.com, cascadegerman.com, tunemyeuro.com

In my part of the country I live and die by those skidplates. I have one on my golf after breaking two pans and both daughters have them on their cars, a beetle and Jetta.

The intercooler could be cracked but it’s doubtful as it sits higher and it’s strickly an air filled box, with no coolant involved. Fortunately you don’t have a dpf filter to worry about on that model year.

Stay ahead on maintenance get a skid plate and that car will last a long time. I just crossed 400k on my 05 Golf.

Heliotropic1

TDI
2003 Jetta TDI 1.9 Manual
I installed an aluminum skid plate within 6 months of buying my 03 Jetta in 06. It has saved my oil pan/ system more than once.