Which years of Beetle TDI's were issued with Particulate Filters.

zimbodel

Veteran Member
TDI
1996-2006 TDI Beetle
I cant get my beetle on my lift now as I am working on my Toyota, so maybe someone who has this info handy can just tell me if they know.
I cant find the answer online.
So,
Which years of Beetle TDI's were issued with particulate filters and which not ?

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
The 2012 on new beetle here in the USA were the ones with the dpf, they didn't have the TDI in them for a few years from 2007-2012, iirc

zimbodel

Veteran Member
TDI
1996-2006 TDI Beetle
No wonder I have a bit more smoke on my 2006 than the later one I used for a while.
Do they compensate for that during emissions testing if a TDI doesnt have a particulate filter?

There is no way a diesel without a DPF can be as low emissions as one who has. I fixed this TDI up great and got it from a salvage back to an almost mint shape after the bodywork and all other engine and electrical problems
I fixed. I just have to do emissions and dont want to go unless I am sure it will pass.

I cannot seem to find the test procedure here in VA and if they will do a tail-pipe inspection.
There are absolutely no codes and no check-engine lights on this TDI -- none.
At full revs I do get a bit of black smoke and I dont know if they will fail it for that.
A DPF would have taken care of some of that.

Last edited:

Mozambiquer

TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
No wonder I have a bit more smoke on my 2006 than the later one I used for a while.
Do they compensate for that during emissions testing if a TDI doesnt have a particulate filter?

There is no way a dielsel without a DPF can be as low emissions as one who has. I fixed this TDI up great and got it from a salvage back to an almost mint shape after the bodywork and all other engine and electrical problems
I fixed. I just have to do emissions and dont want to go unless I am sure it will pass.

I cannot seem to find the test procedure here in VA and if they will do a tail-pipe inspection.
There are absolutely no codes and no check-engine lights on this TDI -- none.
At full revs I do get a bit of black smoke and I dont know if they will fail it for that.
A DPF would have taken care of some of that.
Generally they go with what the standard was for that year. 2006 was pre dpf, though they had a catalytic converter, and if that's missing, it'll get flunked.

Last edited:

zimbodel

Veteran Member
TDI
1996-2006 TDI Beetle
Its stock with a catalytic converter and no deletes. Good to know they go with the year with emissions, didnt know that, makes my life a bit easier thanks.
The skimpy guidelines I read from DMV is that they check for smoke at two different revolutions. I dont know what those revolutions are, hopefully not at full throttle, because I have a little black smoke there.

I get enormously good mpg with this beetle.

I see you are a vendor.
What services do you provide in case I need something. I prefer to work with people rather than large companies. It never failed me in my life.

Mozambiquer

TDI
Its stock with a catalytic converter and no deletes. Good to know they go with the year with emissions, didnt know that, makes my life a bit easier thanks.
The skimpy guidelines I read from DMV is that they check for smoke at two different revolutions. I dont know what those revolutions are, hopefully not at full throttle, because I have a little black smoke there.

I get enormously good mpg with this beetle.

I see you are a vendor.
What services do you provide in case I need something. I prefer to work with people rather than large companies. It never failed me in my life.
I mostly deal in starter and alternators and their related parts. If you look in my signature, there's a bit of info on there.