Which VW is right for me?

rwolff

Veteran Member
TDI
None yet
My interest in the TDI was mainly due to the renewable-fuel capability. Unfortunately, it seems that the PD engines are having problems with Biodiesel, negating this issue. As I see it, here are my options, with associated pros and cons. Does anyone have recommendations, or ideas on what is a reasonable price (for the used models) in the Greater Toronto area? Also, I've heard rumours that there was a pre-TDI turbodiesel Passat. Is there any truth to those rumours, and if so does anyone know if that engine (presumably the same one as in the pre-TDI Golf/Jetta) is powerful enough for a car this size, and did it get into the wagon or just the sedan?

- Wait a few years (2006 model at least) before buying a Jetta Wagon to see how the PD engines handle North American crap fuel, and see if anyone is running them successfully on bio. Also, let the bugs get shaken out of the A5.
Plus: can specify it the way I want it
Minus: most expensive option, I'll wind up driving a 12 year old (or older) Hyundai before I trade in.

- Get a 2003 Jetta Wagon
Plus: available immediately, known to run B100
Minus: still expensive, won't be able to get my preferred colour (no Red in Canada - would need to do a factory order) or interior (either a factory order for grey hard-cloth seats/black everything else, or get black and install grey seat covers)

- Get an A3 Golf TDI (A4s seem to not depreciate)
Plus: known to run on B100
Minus: liftover, and no level load floor with rear seat folded. Can't spec it out the way I want it.

- Get a B4 wagon
Plus: still a wagon, known to run on B100
Minus: hard to find, not as much under-floor storage as on a Jetta wagon, can't spec it out the way I want it

- Get an older (pre-TDI) Golf turbodiesel. Does anyone know what year airbags became standard?
Plus: known to run on B100, possibility of getting one that doesn't have a bomb in the passenger compartment rigged to detonate in the event of a collision
Minus: less power than a TDI, not a wagon, can't spec it out the way I want it

- Forget it, go with a gasser wagon
Plus: the price difference compared to an equivalent VW diesel will buy a lot of gasoline
Minus: no renewable-fuel capability

Vectorer

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SEL Premo
[ QUOTE ]
My interest in the TDI was mainly due to the renewable-fuel capability.

[/ QUOTE ]

Go with the ALH engine in the configuration of your preference. It swallows BD with ease.

Do not plan to "factory order" an '03 ALH since they have been out of production for weeks. The best you can find will be what is on VW lots. Your reasonable price is what you will eventually negotiate. The ability to choose a color might also prove difficult. Knowing what I knew, I was able to convince my wife that NOW is the time to put her into a new Jettawagen. Absolutely, no regrets. I would not hesitate...the # of remaining new '03s shrinks everyday.

IMHO, the ALH is one proven powerplant running on existing fuel of all types in NA. Like most anything new, I like to see all of the bugs shaken out prior to laying down large amounts of hard earned $$$ for the long term. The GM 350ci diesel debacle comes to mind. A pal bought one (Buick) with the thought of saving fuel bucks with this "new technology". The engine went ka-blooey while he and the family were aboard WAY away from home on vacation. Not too cool.

EdNH

TDI
1997 Black B4 sedan, 1996 Red B4 Sedan RIP
"- Get a B4 wagon
Minus: hard to find, not as much under-floor storage as on a Jetta wagon, can't spec it out the way I want it"

Rwolff,

I looked at several B4 Variants before going with the B4 sedan and they are cavernous compared to the storage capacity of A4's. Don't sell them short.

Rammstein

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf 92 D
[ QUOTE ]
EdNH said:
"- Get a B4 wagon
Minus: hard to find, not as much under-floor storage as on a Jetta wagon, can't spec it out the way I want it"

Rwolff,

I looked at several B4 Variants before going with the B4 sedan and they are cavernous compared to the storage capacity of A4's. Don't sell them short.

[/ QUOTE ]

What???

The B4 Variant having less under-floor storage than an A4 Variant????? /images/graemlins/confused.gif

Maybe we don't have the nice storage compartments, but you could hide food supplies for the next week under there!!!

There's a lot of room, believe me!!!

Besides, have you ever seen one up close?

I have one of these rare birds, and there's way way way more room than on any other TDI ever sold in NA.

Even a sedan is nice (althought the fuel tank is smaller /images/graemlins/grin.gif).

A B4 would be the best if you want: the best range, the most inside space and the exclusivity. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

rwolff

Veteran Member
TDI
None yet
[ QUOTE ]

The B4 Variant having less under-floor storage than an A4 Variant?????

[/ QUOTE ]

Chalk it up to an assumption on my part. At the Toronto auto show, the 2003 Passat wagon had less under-floor storage than the 2003 Jetta wagon. Since cars generally have been getting bigger with each generation, I assumed (yep, I know how that breaks down) that the B4 would have even less.

I've heard that (pre-TDI) there were ordinary (75 HP) turbodiesel Passats. Anyone have experience with these (i.e. is it a half-decent substitute if a TDI is unavailable)? Also, what do B4 wagons typically go for (Canadian $)? I'd prefer no sunroof (headroom and leakage issues), but manual transmission is a must for me. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Rammstein

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf 92 D
Actually, B4 are bigger than B5 (trunk, headroom, legroom wise).

My car is like a limo in the back!

As far as prices go, it can be anything from 20000 to 6500$.

It depends how much work have been done to it (suspensions, brakes etc etc).

1995 B4 were available in Canada with the 1.9 turbodiesel.

If you get a wagon, you'll get the big tank (95+ liters) and all the goodies (they came fully loaded).

It'll be a bit under powered (you just have to turn the screw!).

If I'd be you I'd jump on this one!!!
Year: 1997
Make: VOLKSWAGEN
Model: PASSAT
Model Detail: TDI WAGON
Price: $13,000
Mileage: 220,000 km
Date: 9/5/03
Ad Type: Private

60 MPG TDI DIESEL WAGON
Comment: Excellent condition, air, heated seats, pw, pm, sunroof, cd, tinted windows, 5 spd., cert. & e-tested. Offers accepted. 220,000 km, $13,000. (519)622-9594. Cambridge. (CGZHLX)

Same as mine exept for the tinted windows.

If you want a 1995 turbo diesel, here you go!
Year: 1995
Make: VOLKSWAGEN
Model: PASSAT
Model Detail: STATION WAGON
Price: $5,995
Mileage: ------- km
Date: 9/5/03
Ad Type: Dealer

TURBO DIESEL, SOLD
Comment: Turbo diesel, 4 dr., 5 spd., a/c, sunroof, pw, pl, fully cert. & emission tested. $5995. SALIMS AUTO REPAIR (416)463-5464 (CGXXHY)

I hope this answers you questions. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

rwolff

Veteran Member
TDI
None yet
Update: Spotted a '95 Turbo Diesel in Auto Mart ($5999, page B19, listed as "mint condition"). Went to take a look at it, and it definitely wasn't mint (dime-sized stone chip on the hood that had been left long enough to get rusty, seriously corroded LR wheel, evidence of non-factory (i.e. repair) sealant around the antenna base (repair sealant appeared to have come un-sealed, antenna rod missing), washer jet for rear wiper missing, faint smell of gasoline (might just have been drifting on the wind from one of the other cars in the showroom, but the timing was suspicious) when I took a look at the vent mechanism. When I asked which of the 2 turbo diesels available in '95 this one had (normal AAZ or the "missing link" mechanical TDI", he pointed out the injectors in the cylinder head as evidence that it was direct injection (they'd be there even on prechamber engines). I asked the function of a pull lever on the dash, and he said it was the choke /images/graemlins/eek.gif. Definitely not a diesel person. I noticed a partial jug (4 litre size) of 15W40 oil behind a "secret panel" in the back - is this the right grade of oil for the AAZ (according to a sticker under the carpet) engine? A partial bottle this size makes it look like it's burning oil (why else would it have this much?) - definitely something the dealer should have "lost".

Also, there are a few design issues (which would presumably affect the '96 and '97 as well). There's no glove compartment - where am I supposed to keep my log book, spare fuses, fuel receipts, etc? The spare tire compartment won't hold a full-size tire (regular tires are around 8" wide, compartment is around 7" deep, and compartment is also a bit shy on diameter). The rear seat is split the "wrong" way (60% on right, 40% on left - the other way would have more potential for a "long cargo" mod).

Beside the spare tire well, there's another under-floor compartment containing a styrofoam block with some wires coming out of it. Any idea what that is?

If I can find one in decent condition, I might still go this route, but IMHO this car isn't worth the price (anything in "mint condition" should be in better shape than my Hyundai). The under-floor storage, while bigger than the B5 I saw at the Auto Show, is still a bit less (and not quite as well organized) as in the Jetta Wagon.