Which Vag-Com / VCDS and what else do I need?

WutGas?

Veteran Member
TDI
The Last Real Jetta Sedan
2010 Jetta Sedan TDI.

What all do I need and what else do I need for it to work?

I am pretty sure I know the answer since I don't see anything about Mac but do they not work on Mac? That will be another issue all it's own. I have a copy of Parallels that I can use on the Mac. Has anyone done this?

Last edited:

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
For your car you need a CAN interface, so you will want either a MicroCAN cable or a HEX+CAN cable. The biggest advantage to the HEX+CAN would be the ability to also talk to older VW products (pre 2006).

Only other requirements are to download the program and install it in Windows. Many people have run it on a MAC as long as you use Parallels, or bootcamp or some other way of running Windows. It does require windows and a USB connector. Do a search for VCDS+MAC and you will find lots of info.

Have Fun!

Don

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
This will work with mine?
http://store.ross-tech.com/shop/VCuCAN.html

I won't be able to use it on older VWs though? Hard to shell out another $100 for a cable that I really don't need.
Yes it will work just fine. Most VW products made before 2005 use a different communications protocol (K-Line) and the MicroCAN does not do K-Line. The only other advantage to the HEX+CAN interface is that it is the "professional" version and it is slightly faster for data logging. This is probably not important for most users.

Have Fun!

Don

WutGas?

Veteran Member
TDI
The Last Real Jetta Sedan
Yes it will work just fine. Most VW products made before 2005 use a different communications protocol (K-Line) and the MicroCAN does not do K-Line. The only other advantage to the HEX+CAN interface is that it is the "professional" version and it is slightly faster for data logging. This is probably not important for most users.

Have Fun!

Don
Thanks Don. You have been nothing but help....and not just speaking about this thread.

Much appreciated. That's why I love this forum :)

Also, added you on Fuelly.