Which Small SUV Do I Project Build?

CMB430

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI
Hello,

Over the years I have owned Ford, Dodge and Chevy cars and trucks. We bought our first house...trucks had to go. We miss having a truck/SUV as we are avid outdoor people. We also have an 80lb black lab. I know my way around an engine bay and spent years studying automotive technology both civilian and Army.

I have narrowed down a project SUV to either a 2-door XJ with the 4.0 and a 5 speed manual or a Blazer ZR2 4.3L and 5 speed. We owned a Blazer ZR2 and I have driven many XJs. I want to do a frame-off restoration. Keeping everything stock minus a 1.5"-2" lift and a small brush guard w/ winch. New interior, paint and the works. Engine would be stripped, block magnafluxed (spelling?) and honed...then built back up. The back seat would be removed...it is not needed as we can not have / do not want kids. Floor would be vinyl. Seats would be upgraded to have better back/head support. Spare tire on the exterior. Fog/driving lights are a must.

The fewer the computer problems the better. This would be our weekend getaway vehicle / hunting vehicle / world ends have to live in the woods vehicle. The fewer the power options the better.

I am looking to do it all around $8,000. The only things I would outsource would be the engine block machinist work, transfer case / transmission rebuild and the paint (Maco or something similar...looking at a silver or blue, nothing fancy).

1. Which platform would you use?

2. Is my objective obtainable in the said price range?

3. I have a 1 car garage, standard garage door...hense the small SUV so I can work on it at home and store it there too.

4. My wife supports this...

Thanks to you all in advance. I plan on starting to do detailed research (gear rations, axles, parts sources, the vehicle itself) in the next month or two.

PS: Have a beer for me because this god-forsaken dust bowl prevents me from having one

Last edited:

Honeydew

Top Post Dawg
TDI
13 Passat DSG
If you're doing frame-off maybe spray the interior with truck bedliner instead of using vinyl.

supton

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta Wagon GLS
If it's a big dog, I'd probably want it to have its own door--otherwise, wouldn't you get slushy paw-prints onto the seats, when it jumps in? [or am I think of my low to the ground sedan?]

Going EFI or carb? Not sure if it makes a difference, though. Both vehicles were sold in large numbers, but I suspect the Jeep came more often with a stick, so spares might be easier to find--but then again, I suspect Jeeps got abused a bit more.

Sundowner

Veteran Member
TDI
None yet
If it were my project, I'd probably go with the XJ just due to the massive aftermarket support for the vehicle and the plentiful supply of parts in the junkyard. Jeep cranked out that chassis for almost two decades, the parts are out there. go for something in the 92-95 range with the 4.0L. The EFI is better than the previous Renault sourced injection, and the later OBD-II engines get more complicated.

get a stick shift vehicle, for sure. The AX-15 5 speed in the above recommended year range is a great transmission for the tire size you're looking at, and if you ever break it, there are about 5 betterments out there that you will never be able to break.

the Jeep also has a solid front axle, which is incredibly cheaper and easier to lift than the chevy IFS.

DO NOT go to a bargain paint outlet like maaco. I made that mistake once in my life, never again. XJ's look best either in flat OD green or satin black, both of which can be done with rattle cans. Ask any gear head, and they will tell you that a clean rattle can job will get you more respect than the sloppy work those butchers put out.

spend your money on your suspension and engine. Don't skimp there.

I used to be really into jeeps, early toyotas, and old chevys. I've probably forgotten more about those vehicles than any sane person would ever want to know ;)

CMB430

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI
Thanks for the input. I decided that I am going to get the XJ and build it. A '99. Trans is up in the air. I am spending lots of time on the Jeep forum to gain insight. Wife is all in on it...that is super!

Thanks for the help guys.

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
CMB430 said:
2. Is my objective obtainable in the said price range?
I think it will be tight. Going rate for one of these is in the $3-4k range unless it's really been beat on. http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/cto/1591885359.html

I'd think your engine rebuild (why are you set on this?) will probably run $1500-2k leaving you with $2,000 on the low end to finish the truck. my $.02

LRTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
RIP 16 GSW... Just the LR diesel now
The Jeep is a smarter choice than the Blazer.

Since this is an extra set of wheels keep looking around for the right vehicle. I'm biased towards say a 95 TJ which should run around $5k and have perhaps 80k miles on it. Run it for a few months to find and fix any faults before modifying it.

pgenis

Veteran Member
TDI
JETTA 2006
eXtra Joy - - - - CRD Jeepish Liberty

It may not be the first choice, but please consider Jeep Liberty CRD - either 2005 or 2006. They were built with 2.8L I4 from MB (Italian design, I think) and offer huge amount of torque, usable economic MPG and inside room is not bad either (unless you are 6'5" like me and you head is in the sunroof hole. Peter

Rob Mayercik

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS, Baltic Green/Beige
The XJ is an excellent choice - if you've never wheeled one, you're in for a real surprise. I've been running a 2 inch lift and 30x9.50 tires for about 5 years now, and it's darn near unstoppable.

The AX-15 is a great trans, but don't dismiss the AW-4 automatic - it's as rugged as you could ever want (and I speak from direct experience). I've seen both transmissions driving at least 35-inch tires without even breaking a sweat.

What Jeep board are you reading up on? If you're open to additional links, head over to http://www.naxja.org - probably the best source of XJ/MJ info out there.

Can't wait to see how the build turns out.

GDM

TDIClub Friend
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI Cup Edition, 6M, Laser Blue
Depending on what you mean by a "small" SUV, I'd recommend an early Ford Bronco ('66-'77). Short wheelbase, great for wheeling, simple to work on... Too many engine/trannie/gearing/liftkit options to mention, many didn't have rear seats to begin with, no computer stuff at all (unless you want to add it), and a strong aftermarket following (...most collected Ford after the Mustang...).

http://broncograveyard.com/
http://www.wildhorses4x4.com/

...and if you already bought the Jeep, you made the correct choice from your 2 options...