Which clutch kit should I get?

Marinel

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Im about to order a clutch kit with the smf from boraparts. Should I go with the sachs or the valeo kit? Would any of you recommend getting a lighter flywheel?

maloosheck

Veteran Member
TDI
2K6 1K2 BRM, 2K8 7L6 BWF, 85 16 MF
What year? If MY06 w/5MT, you can go with Sachs. I have one and it is excellent, maybe except for increased noise. I do not recommend a lighter flywheel. I can only imagine how noisy it is if stock weight smf is as noisy as it is.

osomphane

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 VW Jetta BRM
Sachs...
I've read on the forums that light weight flywheels were not good for our application and my shatter or something... either way, the heavier flywheels are preferred.

Marinel

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Thanks for the advice. My car is an 06 with a 5 speed. I will be going with the 17.5 lb balanced flywheel. (boraparts dosent offer a heavier flywheel.) Other than the clutch alignment tool, will I need any other special tools for the clutch job? I am planning on doing this myself.

maloosheck

Veteran Member
TDI
2K6 1K2 BRM, 2K8 7L6 BWF, 85 16 MF
Marinel said:
Thanks for the advice. My car is an 06 with a 5 speed. I will be going with the 17.5 lb balanced flywheel. (boraparts dosent offer a heavier flywheel.) Other than the clutch alignment tool, will I need any other special tools for the clutch job? I am planning on doing this myself.
Check out my blog for the SMF install.

Mach1

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
05.5 Jetta 5 spd, 06 Jetta DE DSG, 04 F250 6L, 2000 F250 7.3L
R U Tuned or OEM?

I would not consider a G60/VR6 if you R Tuned..

Marinel

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
I am oem for now. I will eventually do a chip tune in the future but probably no more than that. Is it really necessary to replace all the bolts that come out during this job? The flywheel bolts come with the kit and I will be ordering the transmission bolts also.

Mach1

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
05.5 Jetta 5 spd, 06 Jetta DE DSG, 04 F250 6L, 2000 F250 7.3L
Most people say to replace the TTY's..For sure the Flywheel bolts.

If you are going to get chipped, now is the time to upgrade your clutch, I like Aaron's(BB) Stage 2 clutch, has a better feel and will hold up to a chipped TDI.

Good luck in your selection.