Which Bushing Kit? - MK1 Cabriolet with MK2 Transmission

loewenwolf

TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon - Manual Trans
Hi, while recently replacing transmission fluid on my girlfriend's 1990 Cabriolet, I learned it is not the original transmission but an 020 2Y transmission (87/88 Golf/Jetta).

As a result I have two options for bushings kits, and because I've never done this I would love someone to spell it out for me.

Do I need the year of the transmission bushing kit? Or the year of the car?

My gut is saying of the transmission but because of I've never done it, a little advice is welcome! As well as a how-to/instructional video? I have not found this specific year/make combo to be sure.

Thank you, as always!

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
I'm not sure which bushings you're talking about?

If you're referring to the transmission mount then that is specific to the Mk1 chassis, as would be the shifter bushings, if you're referring to something else then it would depend however, I can't think of much that would be different between the two other than maybe the differential drive flange seals.

Anyway, if you can be more specific I can give a little more detail.

Steve

loewenwolf

TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon - Manual Trans
Thanks for your reply Steve. This is back from April and since then the car has a completely new transmission and (shifter) bushings. So no longer on the hunt. I learned an answer to my question was year/built code/date of the trans not the year of the vehicle.

But still thanks for your assistance!

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Thanks for your reply Steve. This is back from April and since then the car has a completely new transmission and (shifter) bushings. So no longer on the hunt. I learned an answer to my question was year/built code/date of the trans not the year of the vehicle.

But still thanks for your assistance!
No problem...not sure why it popped up on my listing as being a new post....anyway, glad you got it sorted.

Steve