Where's your "sweet spot?"

Jim Williston

Veteran Member
TDI
silver 00 NB
Where\'s your "sweet spot?"

My chipped NB seems to run just about effortlessly at 2500 in fifth or 72 mph. At that speed, there are no vibrations, wind noise, or mechanical sounds coming from the road or running gear. Maybe it's the Upsolute, the Michelins, or the Amoco.....I'm not sure. I do know that at that speed my little NB comes alive, and seems to own the road. Miles just glide by. I can't wait until this fall, and we cruise the SW heading for SLC and the 2001 fest. Does anybody know the BHP and torque numbers for a chipped TDi at 2500? It feels awesome.
Jim

BeetleGo

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
5-door, 5-speed Golf GLS replaced BeetleGo.
Re: Where\'s your "sweet spot?"

Hi Jim,

I was wondering the same thing this last weekend while on an all day drive.

The other thing I've noticed is that first and second gear REALLY are the puttering around gears. 3rd and 4th are really flexible for city driving and merely requires the shifter to move up and down - no cross over to 2nd.

4th is amazing, able to comfortably span 30-80 mph.

5th is cake. It makes 75 mph cruising really nice. Poke the go pedal and you fly!

Jim Williston

Veteran Member
TDI
silver 00 NB
Re: Where\'s your "sweet spot?"

yes, first and second are traffic gears...driving begins in third. Crossover from city to cruising is fourth (sometimes), but fifth is the sweet gear. The flexibility of the TDi impresses anyone who rides in the car. I have no illusions that the car is fast, but it sure is a pleasure to drive, and a quick pump on the loud pedal brings a smile to the face every time. In gear grunt (torque) is where it's at. Impresses gassers.
Jim