Where's that switch on the beetle?

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Beetle GLS TDI (BIODSL). 01 original Glow Bug TDI (sold)
Simple question. Where's that door switch that that tells the car if the door is open or not? My drivers door on my beetle keeps tricking the car into thinking the doors open even when its closed. The dome lights flick on and off randomly while driving, and the door light only on the drivers side does too. Idk what the switch is called and i can't find it online for whatever reason

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Yep, and it's in the latch
Which is awful! Bad design for sure. Its pretty intermittent, and only happend for the first time yesterday so im going to look at it some because if i reclosed the door it would fix itself sometimes.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Yes, I don't like to remove door panels, takes a couple times before you get good at it. I put up with the broke switch on my first TDI (99.5J) for years. Was very careful to not leave keys in it as it would sometimes lock me out. Always needed to click unlock before locking the car. Your results may vary.

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Cleaned like Rrusse said and still being funky so I'll have to fix that at some point i suppose. For now I just switched all the dome lights off

03TDICommuter

Veteran Member
TDI
01' NB, 5spd
It wasn't too bad. Buy the switch from Mouser first before you do the job, and be sure to get the correct one (the right is different from the left due to the nubs)