Where there is smoke there is fire

roadhard1960

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta wagon GLS 5 speed
My car has been making a funny noise occasionally when cold. I ordered a new idler pulley thinking maybe that was the noise. Last night the starter seemed to make an odd noise. Odd noise again this morning and leaving the parking deck in the afternoon. I was figuring on a starter grease session tonight. I left work a bit early as last Saturday 9 days ago I hit a doe in my Dodge doing a wee bit less than 60. Just a bunch of bolt on parts damaged there. I was trying to get to the body shop to sign up for repairs so they can order up parts. No noise the next two starts but another odd noise kind of corrugated in sound, came and went a bit. I was driving 60 ish just trying to get home but home was still a little less than 40 miles to go. I noticed some power surges but they were more like energy drains. Then I noticed a bit of smoke coming out of the hood and under the car and out the back. I merged 5 lanes right to exit in hopes of making it to a parking lot. I made it to the top of the access ramp. Thanks goodness it was a bank holiday as that manuever does not work often but maybe the smoke surrounding the car helped.

Opening the hood I see the alternator on fire. I huffed and puffed but I could not blow the flames out. I grab my phone to call 911 but I had turned down the brightness on the phone weeks ago to let the battery last all day. I could not see to dial. Besides that when you really need help right now second responders are minutes away. I went back to the inside of the car wondering if I need to clear it of stuff. But alas I have my liter water bottle mostly full. I splash it on the fire and put out the fire but things are still smoking. I grabbed a wrench from the cargo area and remove the negative cable. Cables were not particularly warm.

I call the friendly tow company for a 30 mile tow home. I was correct that the alternator was the culprit. Bearing failed and the front of the alternator, the belt pulley is about a 1/4" south of where it should be. Almost fussing and cussing now as I think I have everything loose but the alternator is stuck.

I guess I should have done new bearings when I replaced the alternator brushes a few years ago. Bearing replacement was on my preventative maintenance list but I guess it was a bit too low on the list.

By the way after removing the drive belt I was hoping to drive the car into the garage. Attaching the negative cable the alternator would click which is not quite a normal sound. I ended up using a come along and dragging the car into the garage.

snakeye

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta and Wagon, GLS 5sp
Oh man close call. Good thing you had water! You got me thinking what I'd have done in your case. I probably would have tore a coolant hose out with the car still running and would have put the fire out with it. Either that or the washer fluid tank.