Where do you get best mileage?

Jim Williston

Veteran Member
TDI
silver 00 NB
I have found my mileage to improve if I drop the BD percentage a little. I thought B20 was a good blend, but lately I have seen better mileage at lower levels. I have dropped from B20, B15 to B10, and think my mileage has improved. We are still getting winter blend, but I rang up 55.3 mpg on a long trip over the weekend (B10) and wonder if any others have similar experiences. I have tried to "stretch" my B100 base stock as it is a 500 mile RT for me to get re-supplied.
Any comments?
Jim

GeWilli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none in the fleet (99.5 Golf RIP, 96 B4V sold)
B10-30 I haven't really seen any mileage difference. But I might be blending it with better Dino juice. I just recorded the highest winter mileage relative to ambient temp in a long time on a tank of 25% (48 mpg).

Getting to B40-B50 i started to see a decline but not nearly as severe as B100. If i was drivin 100 miles less per day i would be using b100 exclusively but I'm not . . .

Lightman

Veteran Member
My average on b100 was generally 42-44. My average on petro is generally 46-48. B20 and lower probably 45-47, and b30 to b99 somewhere in the range of 43-46. It would make sense that mileage would improve relative to the percentage of petro, as biodiesel has less btu's compared to diesel fuel, I believe somewhere around 89% but don't quote me on that one.

TDI Believer

Responsible For Global Warming
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI
I never noticed much of a mileage difference on B100. I did notice that power was down slightly. Could be that since most of my driving is highway that the mileage hit is less.