Where do I introduce myself?

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
My truck, which is now old enough to be eligible for historic vehicle plates in Missouri, still has its original thermostat. And it seems to work perfectly fine. I've replaced the thermostats in both my ALHs, but one has been in there for over 200k miles (since I got the car and untooefed it years ago). Still seems the same to me. My BHW's got replaced when the CTS finally went wonky, just because. It was around 200k miles at the time I think, and maybe 10+ years old... can't remember. I'm sure I've replaced on on my AWM at some point, but it was a while ago.

TDI
1993 Golf Mark III Turbo-Diesel
I am a fan of wax motor thermostat valves myself. They work very well and for a long time if they are quality parts. I did not go "high tech" when designing the Model 001 because I wanted the valve to be available anywhere and to be easily replaced.

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
I put period Plates on my truck a couple years ago, now I don’t have to be concerned with forgetting to renew them anymore

MukGyver

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta PD
The notion of no fossil fuels yet ff to produce electic waste is so ridiculous and irresponsible on many levels. the earth has been moving through cooling and heating for eons and will continue to do so with or without us.. giving us oil as a loving gesture for living and dying on her valley floors and shores.

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
From thermostats to global warming etc. in a little over a half a day, it shows the diversity. Also the wandering minds of people approaching the age of senility. 😉

Rob Mayercik

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS, Baltic Green/Beige
In 20 years I just hope someone will have figured out how to make the VDO instrument clusters be able to have their memory upgraded to hold more than 999,999 km.... because I'm sure most of my TDIs will be beyond that by then. Maybe even one of my gasser dubs, LOL.
Can a ScanGauge read the ECU mileage measuring block?

Poor King

Veteran Member
TDI
'91 Jetta, '91 GTI, '04 Touareg
The notion of no fossil fuels yet ff to produce electic waste is so ridiculous and irresponsible on many levels. the earth has been moving through cooling and heating for eons and will continue to do so with or without us.. giving us oil as a loving gesture for living and dying on her valley floors and shores.
It is scientifically known that rain moves tectonic plates and earthquakes raise natural minerals and fossil fuels to the surface in order for life to prevail on Earth. That is by design.

What is not proven but generally obvious is the inability of greedy narcissistic individuals to place self-blame with the factual terms and conditions they have created and cannot come to gripes with.

Last edited:

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
The whole point of the synthetic oil is, it's better. Folks run it as long as 20k miles with no ill effects.
But burning fossil fuel is bad for the planet, arguments to the contrary are total fabrication. Even natural gas, in vogue now, realeses huge amouts of methane, a green house gas.
Good news is, the planet will be fine, although some places will become uninhabitable.

STDOUBT

Veteran Member
TDI
dos jettas
burning fossil fuel is bad for the planet,
Something else that's bad for the planet is mining.
Especially bad for those poor people and child "laborers" and their communities in Africa who do it for "the Electric Car Industry".
If we all suddenly had electric cars, our power grid would implode. And we'd have to burn oil fuels to ramp up to capacity anyway.
Another thing to consider is that the sudden elimination of available fuel oil would lead to mass starvation among other things.
And, arguments to the contrary are total fabrication.

Image source

Andyinchville1

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, 5 sp, 226K miles
The whole point of the synthetic oil is, it's better. Folks run it as long as 20k miles with no ill effects.
But burning fossil fuel is bad for the planet, arguments to the contrary are total fabrication. Even natural gas, in vogue now, realeses huge amouts of methane, a green house gas.
Good news is, the planet will be fine, although some places will become uninhabitable.
HI

No biggie if the planet eventually gets uninhabitable .... most people would have moved to mars by then ! ;-)

Andrew

Andyinchville1

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, 5 sp, 226K miles
From thermostats to global warming etc. in a little over a half a day, it shows the diversity. Also the wandering minds of people approaching the age of senility. 😉
I saw the global warming and raised it to intergalactic travel ! ;-)

BUT they will still need thermostats in the future ... (OK now we are full circle)