Where can I get oil?

Jbrow327

TDI
2014 Golf TDI DSG
Hey guys I have a 2014 vw golf tdi. I checked the oil this morning and it was in the normal range but on the very low end. Where can I buy a quart of oil for this? Do I need to look for anything on the jug to let me know it's for my vw? I'm 6500 miles into this oil and it runs 10000 miles so I'm going to add some then get it changed at 10000. Thanks guys.

nayr

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Audi Q7
Swing by the dealer and pick some up, all my local VW and Audi dealers sell basic maintenance fluids for a better or equal price to any online deals.

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
Deals are for when you order in bulk, not one Liter. Go by the dealer. NAPA also carries it or can get some overnight.
very true. also bought a 5 pack of oe filters for cheaper. yeah, generally you have to buy bulk for discounts. been thinking of buying a 20 gal drum of oil.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
unfortunately no stores local to me actually carry 507 oil. only the dealer. stinks..
Most don't carry it but can order it and get it in overnight. It is good to find some and keep it on hand just for these kinds of occasions. Maybe not as much as the 6 changes I have but certainly having a liter or so at home or stored in the car would be handy. Maybe even one change and filter at home.

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
My local Advanced Auto stores carry Pentosin 507 oil... you have to ask for it, for some reason its behind the counter.
pentosin is a better oil than m1 esp. i live in the northern part of mn. the twin cities would carry it. but thats 3 hours away. closest dealer is hour 15min.

Scooby24

TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL
pentosin is a better oil than m1 esp. i live in the northern part of mn. the twin cities would carry it. but thats 3 hours away. closest dealer is hour 15min.
Would you mind clarifying, specifically, which metrics you used to determine superiority?

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
Would you mind clarifying, specifically, which metrics you used to determine superiority?
many ppl here claim pentosin is a better oil. tested it also seems to have a better additive package. Also its german made. :D also id parts carries that and not m1 ;)

Scooby24

TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL
idparts carries m1 esp in 5w30. The rest sounds like conjecture....but thank you for clarifying.

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
idparts carries m1 esp in 5w30. The rest sounds like conjecture....but thank you for clarifying.
yeah. well they run pentosin for 20k in europe. so maybe higher standards.. there is an oil testing thread on here. have to look closer at it.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
"Up to" would be a key phrase there. IIRC in Europe they also have an oil sensor that tells you when the oil is spent and needs changing. Might be 10k or as much as 30k from my reading. We do not have this sensor in our cars unless you installed one for yourself and updated the coding for it to work. Any 507 oil will let your car run 10k changes without worrying about if one brand is better than any other. Something else will probably take it out before you notice and differences from using a different brand of oil.

nayr

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Audi Q7
Pentosin is typically the OEM choice for most VAG fluids, your brake, transmission, power steering, diffs, etc often come from the factory with pentosin, and OEM White Label bottles from the dealer are most often pentosin..

now that VAG moved from Castrol for engine oil I'll probably switch over to pentosin personally.. but then again if I delete the DPF I'd be happy to run Delvac too.

OP wants just an extra quart to monitor a lil bit of loss, dont really matter who or what as long as its spec.. I'd buy whatever I could find locally easiest and next time order an extra quart of my preferred choice.

Last edited:

JesseTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI, Premium package
My local Napa store carries liqui-moly 4300 top tech, mobil 1 esp, and Pentosin in stock. But they also supply a local small German auto repair shop.

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
"Up to" would be a key phrase there. IIRC in Europe they also have an oil sensor that tells you when the oil is spent and needs changing. Might be 10k or as much as 30k from my reading. We do not have this sensor in our cars unless you installed one for yourself and updated the coding for it to work. Any 507 oil will let your car run 10k changes without worrying about if one brand is better than any other. Something else will probably take it out before you notice and differences from using a different brand of oil.
how difficult is it to add and code said sensor?

BuckeyeMan71

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta wagon
What if you use delvac or rotella. I use those in my Jetta

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Delvac isn't even correct for your '03. But Rotella would probably be fine, it's now low ash and used in cars (well, trucks, mostly) with DPFs.

Scooby24

TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL
yeah. well they run pentosin for 20k in europe. so maybe higher standards.. there is an oil testing thread on here. have to look closer at it.
Without seeing TBN holding strong at a 20k OCI, I would never trust that claim. The additive package has a hair more ZDDP, a decent chunk more calcium, but very little Boron. In comparison the ESP has lower calcium (detergent) but is making up for that with boron, and the x1 ESP has higher TBN than Pentosin, and the 0w30 grade is more appropriate for colder climate.

I've had a closer look...and I'm not seeing it, which is why I asked for clarification to see what you saw that I didn't.