Wheel Bearing

Tuzlo

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Platinum Grey Jetta
Anyone ever replace a Wheel Bearing? Diesel Auto electric is tellin me they sell Wheel Bearing and then they sell a Kit, which includes a cir clip and 4 nuts..... Any uide if you need thnuts and Circlip?

pbraunton

Veteran Member
TDI
03' Jetta TDi
not too sure about the 4 nuts, but the circlip, most of the time you can re use it unless it is really rusted in there and it breaks or bends on its way out, not too sure what the 4 nuts would be for?? wheel lugs?, the bearings are pressed into a housing that the caliper is mounted too, ......sorry just saw 2004, this is on a 03??

might be the same though, but I am not sure

RyansToy

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta
on a side note. Did you plan on doing this yourself? I have been checking around since i have to do the same next weekish...

How do you plan on pressing the bearings in or out? do you have access to the specialty tool? or do you plan on cutting the old ones?

Bixby

TDI
Jetta, 2001, black
Hey i do have a bearing puller tool. The one i have is a hub tamer, I've never tried it on a VW. When i did my tdi i pulled the whole assembly and got it pressed out and new bearing pressed in a a friends shop press. My garage is pretty full right now or I offer to take on doing for you/ with you. I'm reluctant to lend the tool out as it was fairly $$ to get and there are lots of pieces that could get lost. I also think it needs more impact gun to make it work than my little Princess Auto special.

I remember when I was a kid my dad had about 20 full flights of staging & by the time i left home it was hard to find two sections and a cross brace to put them together to be able to paint the house with out a ladder.