What's the deal with the new Explorer tail lights?

brandsheph

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
I'm not a Ford guy or even an SUV guy by any means but for some reason the new Explorer tail lights keep catching my eye on the road. They just look different somehow than any others I can remember seeing. I'm sure they're LED but why/how are they so "smooth" (I can't think of any other way to explain it) looking? Is it something that could be emulated for other cars in the aftermarket? Since it's nearly impossible to get amber rear blinkers on my NMS as I'd love to do, it'd be nice to at least have something in the back that looks like a nice upgrade.

Here is a link if you have no idea what I'm talking about: 2020-Ford-Explorer-tail-light_13741_044_640x480.jpg

Last edited:

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
The LEDs shine into a translucent diffuser. The DRLs on our Tesla have the same design.

Have you seen what the Chinese market NMS LED tail lights look like? Combined with a simple trailer light controller, they are some of the most functional rear lights I've seen on any car:

brandsheph

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
Ah, a diffuser! That makes sense. For some reason I couldn't wrap my head around how they achieved that look.

I do like the Chinese LED tails but I feel like I can't justify the cost. If it were easier to make the amber signals work, though, I'd figure out a way to rationalize it :ROFLMAO: