What's the best LRR tire for 10 TDI?

myjetta_04

TDI
2004 Jetta tdi
Hey guys, I'm going to buy some new summer tires for my 10 tdi so I can take off the winters. Iv done as much searching as I can stand so I'm creating a thread to get you opinion.
From all the serching, I can't find a general census on what tire gets the best mpg.
On the a4 jetta (my 2004) it was easy to find, everyone pretty much said that the Michelin energy saver a/s has the least rolling resistance and gets the best mpg.
But seemings they don't make the tire in the stock 205/55/16 size tire, what's the best tire for strictly mpg (ride and noise and longevity come 2nd for me)
I have a few in mind
Continental purcontact with ecoplus tech
Pirelli cinturato pm all season plus
Bridgestone ecopia ep422
And maybe the Goodyear fuel max
I've herd that Michelin makes a great tire, but isn't actually as fuel efficient as the others.
So if I'm looking only at mpgs, what tire will provide the best result? If anyone has other tires in mind post it up!
Thanks a lot, Cory

shift957

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Jetta
I can't really give you any comparison between tires, but I have gotten really good results form the continental's that came on my car. I may have to try the Michelins when these are due for replacement.

wilcharl

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI BOUGHT BACK 23 NOV 16. Now owner of 2016 Jeep Cherokee
Everyone has an an opinion.

I love my Yokohama Avid Ascend ... lots of life in them... 40k on them and they look brand new

myjetta_04

TDI
2004 Jetta tdi
Google is your friend...
[Click here]
Isn't much of a difference from one LRR tire to another. Just get whatever is on sale.
Thanks for the effort, but the link has really nothing to do with my thread, and I have found that particular link before but its worthless to me because I already fully understand the concept about LRR tire tech. My thread is about which tire is the most fuel efficient, not that LRR are better at saving fuel than non LRR. The one tire that I asked about (Goodyear fuel max) that is actually in one article isnt compared to any of the other tires im currently looking at, so I really still got nothing to go on.
Sometimes google is not your friend. Because when you want specific information, sometimes google gives you to broad of results which makes finding what you really want near impossible. Which is why I went right to the source (tdi club) to get the answers I seek:D
Thanks for the time, Cory

Carphuntin_god

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf 2-door 6-speed
i've been kinda studying the european tyre sales sites... they use a slightly different rating/marking system... and i've been using it to compare the lrr capabilities vs wet road traction. many of them have good comment threads on tires for comparison.

jpljohn

TDI
2015 Golf TDI S 6M
http://www.tirerack.com/ is a good source for information and reviews. I've sworn off LRR tires. I drive a Golf TDI through canyons to commute. The LRR's that came with the car let go just taking a corner on a wet side street. It had been raining. I just use General ALTIMAX RT. They wear well, not too expensive, good grip, smoother/quieter ride, but I do think I'm into the pedal slightly more than the LRR's, but the trade is worth it for me.

rghart

TDI
jetta sportwagen 2012 TDI
Mich defenders cost me 1&1/2 MPG over Bridgestones-plus they refused my 90,000 treadwear--wore out at 22,000 on a wagon

ottomatic

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golfwagen SE 6MT
Mich defenders cost me 1&1/2 MPG over Bridgestones-plus they refused my 90,000 treadwear--wore out at 22,000 on a wagon
WOW!
My 2012 Jetta Sedan TDI had Defenders on it when I traded it in for the 2014 JSW. I had the dealer switch tires & rims from the 2012 to the 2014 JSW as it had 17" & where I drive I would have ended up with bent rims + I like more side wall. The Defenders had 20 K on them @ that time.
Put another 30 K on them & they were replaced by Discount Tire because of tread depth. DT gave me P7". I paid for 2. After 3K of driving with the P7"s (which they could not get to balance). They swapped them out back to new Defenders which I requested. NO CHARGE.

Edit : I just checked MFI. I traveled 131 miles today. Average speed 35MPH
Average MPG 44. That's in the Mtns. & 2 trips to 2 different towns. Travel time 3 hrs. & 46mins. Also had 2306 done last year.

Last edited:

hybridkiller

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf DSG
I've got ~45K miles on a set of Conti Pure Contacts and the "S" is still visible in the "DWS" on the tread. I live in the mountains and hoon the twisties pretty aggressively, so I'm not exactly easy on tires. I expect I'll get another 10-15K out of them.

TDI Tampa

TDI
2011 Jetta
I swear by Michelin tires; used to run the stock Continentals had several flats and lasted 30,000 miles. Switched to Michelin Premier A/S and also had Michelin Defender. Last set I got 70,000 miles no problem, no flats. They wear great. In addition Costco has sales every few months and paid $700 and change out the door.

2011 Jetta TDI 131,000 miles

nutdriver

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 2006 (Previously NB 2000)
I just ordered a set if Pirelli P7 tires from Tire Rack to replace my Nokian enTyres. No experience yet with the Pirelli's but certainly impressed with the Tire Rack reviews and price after the current rebate deal.

The Nokian enTyres have been a mixed bag. Purchased 5 tires about 5 years ago which were wearing extremely well until the shoulders developed serious cracking at about 2 1/2 years and 50,000 miles. Nokian was great and replaced all tires although I did pay to have those mounted and balanced. Unfortunately the new 5 tires have also now developed cracking at the same time and distance. All told I really can't complain in that I now have about 110,000 miles out of the Nokians but it is frustrating that they still have tons of tread left.

Last edited:

geoman

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 tdi jetta wagon
I'm off of the nokian entyres too & now on h-rated 205/55r16" (can't remember the load index)conti true contact all seasons from Canadian Tire(buy 3 get 1 free deal). good mpgs, really quiet @ hwy speed & great in the wet. (fwiw, still really dig my winter nokian hakka r2's-i liked the old hakka r's even better!) these conti's are a great replacement for the entyres. time will tell whether they last close to their claim; the entyres certainly didn't.

Vekke

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi A8 with 1.2 TDI VW Lupo 3L --> 2L (retired)
155/70R19 bridgestones with RIAL X10 with custom block plates like I did. I will soon get some results but I am expecting 10% improvement in fuel consumption

geoman

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 tdi jetta wagon
very interesting set-up. please let us know how close you come to achieving the (significant) 10% improvement & any handling & braking trade-offs you experience. what is your highway/city driving ratio in your part of Finland?

Buckwild90

TDI
2013 golf tdi with dsg(Buyback), 2001 Jetta tdi 5mt 414k miles, 2002 Jetta 5mt 289k miles
Three words... Continental Pure Contact.

Greatest tire ever! My '13 golf 4 door with dsg loves them.
Been running then since 35k, have 92,xxx as of now, I run the 215/55/17 and see 47mpg at 70mph peak summer time dsg not modified at all. Can't wait to be deleted. Rides like a cloud on stock suspension at 100+ on highway. Wish they made it in 225/50/r18. I see 50-55k out of the 70k mile warranty. With lots of aggressive driving on curvy back roads. All around good tire. Last twice as long as the stock continental contipro contacts and cheaper.

Jimmy Coconuts

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 JSW, 2010 Jetta, 2011 Q7 Prestige, 2012 A3 Premium, 2013 A3 Premium Plus, 2014 Beetle, 2015 Jetta
Thanks for the response, would love to know why you think this.
Thanks Cory
I have these tires. Very nice ride, fuel economy does not suffer, soft sidewall. Not really great for cornering, but if you don't get stupid in tight curves, it's a solid choice.

ezshift5

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI (Enroute BB).......2017 Jetta 1.4 turbo 5M ....................
...panther, I viewed the 4-tire MPG comparison noted within your 'click here'

AND FOUND IT INFORMATIVE.

Good job!

ez...............

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
Thanks for the response, would love to know why you think this.
Thanks Cory
I've had them on the Passat for ~30 K mi. and they look new. I got 42+ MPG on my trip up to TDI Fest last year. Best previous tank was ~41. Great grip in dry, wet, and snow. I just put a set on our Golf replacing Conti Pro Contacts with ~65K mi.

ShiftyPowers

TDI
2000 Tornado red golf
155/70R19 bridgestones with RIAL X10 with custom block plates like I did. I will soon get some results but I am expecting 10% improvement in fuel consumption
I found a good set of these from an i3 at the junkyard for cheap. Whats the dimensions for the adaptors so i can have a machine shop make me some, who did you use ? Im wondering how they will affect my speedo 2000 golf gls tdi ?70mpg or im pushing it off a cliff.

White Passat

Veteran Member
TDI
CPO 2013 Passat TDI SEL June 2012 build date Purchased 09/14/14
Michelin Primacy's have been great tires on my Passat. Haven't seen any change in MPG in 30K miles. Quiet, handle great and a good ride.