what's that part called?

RuneTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium, 97 passat tdi (SOLD)
good evening. i'm trying to identify a part i need. its a small motor or actuator that controls the door flap for the recirculation mode for the fan/heat/ac. its located on the passenger side on top of the panel/behind the knee bolster/near the blower motor. it will not close by itself. if i help it along with my hand, it will stay closed. it will then open if i use the button. i'm guessing this a dealer part only. what's it called? thanks for any help

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
You might have a vacuum leak, that flap is controlled by the solenoid valve that lives up by the driver's side headlight.

Check your vacuum lines first.

-Jason

RuneTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
You might have a vacuum leak, that flap is controlled by the solenoid valve that lives up by the driver's side headlight.

Check your vacuum lines first.

-Jason
i forgot to mention it works fine with a vacuum pump, so i think there are no leaks

VWWV

Veteran Member
TDI
passat 96, candy white
i forgot to mention it works fine with a vacuum pump, so i think there are no leaks
That solenoid is well-known to gunk up. Somewhere (several years ago) there was a posting about opening it up and cleaning it. I remember because I thought I was having that problem but, upon further review, I found that the hard plastic line from the solenoid had a friction rubbed hole in it. I shortened it with my knife and it has worked well thereafter.

VWWV

Veteran Member
TDI
passat 96, candy white
Here? http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=63067
I've had this problem since I got my sedan. Maybe today will be the day it gets fixed-- It's chilly in Arizona! ;)
That's the one! I'm sure RuneTDI will be thanking you. My blend door foam is gone so I'm dealing with a heat problem here in chilly Florida. My best heat comes by selecting full heat and punching in the recirculation button.

Last edited:

RuneTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
thanks, but i'm aware of that post. i'm in it, trying to solve my problem ever since.