What To Do With VCDS

Zak99b5

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
I borrowed a buddy's vcds (changing out the IP and need it to fine tune timing afterward) for a few days.

I would like to take advantage of it and do some other changes, such as set it to unlock all doors with key off (not just driver's). No clue how to do that though.

Is there anything else I should do with it before I return it? Say, lower egr duty cycle? My car is a stock 03 with manual tranny with 222k miles, running well.

While vcds is obviously a powerful tool, I find it not very intuitive to use, and since I don’t own my own, I don’t have an opportunity to play around with it and get comfortable with it.

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
To change the door locks go to comfort control module and click up through the blocks I think it is block 4-8. Hold the courser over the block and a little pop up box will tell you the acceptable values and what to change.

gmenounos

Vendor
TDI
'99.5 Golf GLS, '01 Jetta GLX Wagon (TDI conversion)
Is there anything else I should do with it before I return it? Say, lower egr duty cycle? My car is a stock 03 with manual tranny with 222k miles, running well.
Assuming that the VCDS cable you borrowed is compatible with the Ross-Tech VCP drivers ( https://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/usb/virtual-com-port.php ), you could install kw1281test and use it to pull the SKC from your cluster. Useful if you need to add/replace any keys or if you ever need to replace the cluster or ECU:
You can also use kw1281test to enable the "Roll up/down the windows with the key fob" feature.

Zak99b5

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
To change the door locks go to comfort control module and click up through the blocks I think it is block 4-8. Hold the courser over the block and a little pop up box will tell you the acceptable values and what to change.
Tried that and I think I found the right block but I got a “not oper” in the boxes.

Zak99b5

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
Assuming that the VCDS cable you borrowed is compatible with the Ross-Tech VCP drivers ( https://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/usb/virtual-com-port.php ), you could install kw1281test and use it to pull the SKC from your cluster. Useful if you need to add/replace any keys or if you ever need to replace the cluster or ECU:
You can also use kw1281test to enable the "Roll up/down the windows with the key fob" feature.
It’s a Ross tech hex-can cable. I know what the SKC is in a general sense and would like to get it if I could from the car for the reasons you mention, but this seems a little above my pay grade as far as computer skills?