What parts at the junkyard do you ALWAYS pull when you see them?

TDI
2003 ALH Golf
Got a fresh ALH in at the local junkyard. I have already pulled the EGR, injection pump, and injectors.

Just curious what parts do you always pull? What parts are always good to keep a spare on the shelf 'just in case'? What parts have a low junkyard purchase price but high resell value?

In other words, what should I get on my return trip tomorrow morning?

turbodieseldyke

Veteran Member
TDI
98 jetta
The only things with high value would be working drivetrain parts. Nothing you pull from a junker is known to be working; in fact, the opposite is true: Every moving part on a junk car is presumed to be junk.

TDI
2003 ALH Golf
The injection pump I just bought for $32 is worth $100-200 as a core on ebay. Some ECMs are rare and can be bought for $20 and resold for $300.

I'm not really looking to score some big haul. More interested in what I should get to sit on the shelf.

Genesis

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon
The ECU and IP are the two big ones from my point of view. The rest? Not so much, especially for the time invested if you're doing a "pick-n-pull" deal. Some of the interior parts (glove box door!) can be worth something if you need it in particular, but you get into the weeds fast once you get off the stuff that's easy and clearly worth it.

sriracha

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon 5mt, 1982 Rabbit truck (gas)
I’m mostly on the hunt for interior upgrades at the pick n pull:
Wood and aluminum trim
Wagon sunglasses holder
Black trimmed rear view mirrors
GLI black interior trim
Leather steering wheels and ebrakes

Basically, static items that clean up nicely.

Hinzipwo

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI (auto)
I’m mostly on the hunt for interior upgrades at the pick n pull:
Wood and aluminum trim
Wagon sunglasses holder
Black trimmed rear view mirrors
GLI black interior trim
Leather steering wheels and ebrakes

Basically, static items that clean up nicely.
i love working at a pick and pull, i get all the first dibs :LOL:

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
That might be nice for you, but it sure gets irritating fast when all the choice things are already missing on cars that drop. Partially why I hardly go to PnP anymore.

Hinzipwo

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI (auto)
That might be nice for you, but it sure gets irritating fast when all the choice things are already missing on cars that drop. Partially why I hardly go to PnP anymore.
i usually dont take much, only things i need. i dont just pull all the good parts every time something comes in. i know for the place i work there is a list online that anybody can see that show the cars on the yard and the date that they were set. most people come to look at the most recent ones because there would be more parts to pick.

Andyinchville1

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, 5 sp, 226K miles
These are some good things to have / get .... (in order of how I like them).

1) Injection Pump (esp if 11 mm)
2) Injectors
3) N75 Valve
4) ECU
5) Intercooler (esp if upgraded)
6) Headlight switch
7) Misc relays esp #109
8) Wheels - If nice
9) misc screws / knobs / small pieces my car may be missing

Andrew

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
I'd even frab the turbo if it's still all buttoned up.
But the list is endless, how much room you got?
As for potential sale, I've never had much luck, your results might vary.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
i usually dont take much, only things i need. i dont just pull all the good parts every time something comes in. i know for the place i work there is a list online that anybody can see that show the cars on the yard and the date that they were set. most people come to look at the most recent ones because there would be more parts to pick.
Not saying I'm frustrated with you, there's one yard in particular near me that was reaaallly bad at it for several years, to the point I wouldn't even bother going anymore. Pumps, nozzles, turbos, all pre-pulled before dropped off. Started leaving bad reviews about it, and it stopped.

c101horse

TDI
B1 passat(dasher) wagon(currently aaz, swapping to awx)
the pick and pull im currently doing my swap at( isnt it great just going out back when you need something) is more oriented on french cars, so diesel vw's stand for ages, mostly headlights getting pulled from those. but coming back to the point ill atleas return with a fistfull of fuses and maybe an ecu(always nice to have a spare or two) if i can get to it easy

Hinzipwo

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI (auto)
Not saying I'm frustrated with you, there's one yard in particular near me that was reaaallly bad at it for several years, to the point I wouldn't even bother going anymore. Pumps, nozzles, turbos, all pre-pulled before dropped off. Started leaving bad reviews about it, and it stopped.
yeah that is a shame, there is a lot of yards around here that do that so they can sell the parts separately for more money.

runningallday

TDI
1999.5 Jetta TDI manual
i grabbed some leather seats last time i went. so worth it. had to swap out the air bag wires but made it work!

U4ick

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 jetta tdi
yeah that is a shame, there is a lot of yards around here that do that so they can sell the parts separately for more money.
I found out, quite by accident, when I ran into one of the girls that would ring me out at one of the local pick n' pull's at a RaceTrac gas station, that there were several mechanics that bought and sold cars and trucks, that had a inside deal with some of the guys that pulled the wheels and punched holes in the gas tanks, for a 20% cash commission for a head's up by text whenever a vehicle or parts they were looking for was about to hit the yard,
a day before it went online. Whew.......was that a long enough sentence for you?

sriracha

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon 5mt, 1982 Rabbit truck (gas)
I have two Pick n Pulls near by. Often when the cars show up on the app, they have already been in the yard for a week. However, one time I saw a GLI on the app, cancelled all plans and went to the PnP to find that all the trim was still in the car.
So, I still browse the PnP app daily, but also will try to visit the yard to see what's out there. Sometimes everything is already picked, other times stuff is still there. It's kinda random for me. I just like the element of surprise, wandering the rows of VWs and finding something I wasn't looking for. It's the same thing as record shopping.

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
glow relay & grey 109 relay
IP if AT car
injectors if MT car
starter (always should have a spare)

Steve

Hinzipwo

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI (auto)
I have two Pick n Pulls near by. Often when the cars show up on the app, they have already been in the yard for a week. However, one time I saw a GLI on the app, cancelled all plans and went to the PnP to find that all the trim was still in the car.
So, I still browse the PnP app daily, but also will try to visit the yard to see what's out there. Sometimes everything is already picked, other times stuff is still there. It's kinda random for me. I just like the element of surprise, wandering the rows of VWs and finding something I wasn't looking for. It's the same thing as record shopping.
every time i go into the yard here i find myself getting distracted from my actual work and just end up looking for parts, can get me into trouble sometimes :LOL: