What micron and how?

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Beetle GLS TDI (BIODSL). 01 original Glow Bug TDI (sold)
Hey gang,

Curious how people are filtering diesel or oil to 2 micron. What kind of filters are you using?

Something like This paired with a pump or gravity system? Or something different. I'm mainly just trying to filter oil or like substances.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Settling it for a long time really helps with used oil, depending on your source. Gravity will do most of the work if you have the time and space.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
I run PCS 1000 in my parts washer and i run a Walmart cheap oil filter that goes into a Baldwin BF7633 (2 micron) filter. they are cheap and work great.
Ditzle mod on my HF parts washer with PCS 1000 is epic.. still the diesel soot turned it black as its way under a sum 1 micron in size...... never getting that out.. 4 years of normal DIY shop use and its still stripping whatever is on parts off like it was new. Filters last about 10 hours of use. so about 4 a year for my use. PCS 1000 is basically a refined solvent bases kerosene or similar to diesel. I usually let my parts washer settle for a month then drain it... LOTS of sediment that would normally clog up the filter... always draw from a few inches above the settling line!
i know not the story you need but those baldwin fitlers are awesome and could help you. CAT is stupid expensive and the ones i used did NOT last. they are NOT rated for the use i had or i got some counterfeit ones or something..

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
CAT makes some 2 micron filters. Check the filters referenced in the site below. Some here have used them as well.

I like this idea, but im with mongler their expensive for my use. Im just trying to filter used engine oil for an alh motor to eat slowly. Alao possibly filtering biodiesel if i get there.

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
I run PCS 1000 in my parts washer and i run a Walmart cheap oil filter that goes into a Baldwin BF7633 (2 micron) filter. they are cheap and work great.
Ditzle mod on my HF parts washer with PCS 1000 is epic.. still the diesel soot turned it black as its way under a sum 1 micron in size...... never getting that out.. 4 years of normal DIY shop use and its still stripping whatever is on parts off like it was new. Filters last about 10 hours of use. so about 4 a year for my use. PCS 1000 is basically a refined solvent bases kerosene or similar to diesel. I usually let my parts washer settle for a month then drain it... LOTS of sediment that would normally clog up the filter... always draw from a few inches above the settling line!
i know not the story you need but those baldwin fitlers are awesome and could help you. CAT is stupid expensive and the ones i used did NOT last. they are NOT rated for the use i had or i got some counterfeit ones or something..
Ditzle mod?
I like that one seems to about what im looking for. Do you just have one of those one line in one line out oil filter tops for it?

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
Imo unless you want to see the death of the engine.... just buy your fuel like I do. Did.
Have at least 3 or 4 5 gallon or maybe more depending on the way u find fuel. Some places have a fuel discount for $0.25 off a gallon for a minimum of $100 purchase.
In the end using these dirty fuels ends up costing more than it was worth in supplies to filter and parts to fix the engines fuel system.

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
So its not a common thing? I read up on it some and it seemed like as long as you filter it down its safe. The only reason I was considering it is because I have a ton of leftover used oil i could burn through this summer.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
If you want to burn oil you have some work to do. The car really won't burn it as is. Biodiesel is different and can be used just like diesel in your car. But the oil has to be processed to make biodiesel.

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Well maybe i should keep researching. I've read up to about 15% per tank is doable.
I still would like to do biodiesel, but i have to figure out where i can get the oil this summer, and create a way to make it simply. I won't need enough to do a water heater so I'm trying ro learn the best method for making it in about 5gal batches.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
It isn't hard but there are things you must know about and follow through on them for good bio. I went to several grass roots classes in Texas long ago. Maybe find someone else near who is doing it and learn from them. I have heard of just adding raw clean oil in small amounts but I wouldn't do it with any car I planned on keeping long term. Even in that it is time consuming and can be messy to filter the oil alone. For small easy test batches try the Dr. Pepper method.

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Thank you, I'll try that. Idk if theres anyone in my area that does. This car used to run on the stuff when the PO owned it, but i haven't since buying.
Ive heard bad things about plain cooking oil in the engine. From gelling/being to thick to nasty injectors. I do have multiple bottles of liquimoly from the PO still i can use every now and then to clean things from the biodiesel.

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
I also have to find a place that i can get wvo from. Still a few weeks before everything is well above freezing for running it in the car tho.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Not something I would try in a cold climate either. Now here in Texas things are pretty warm most of the year. Finding a legitimate supply is always tough now.

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Not something I would try in a cold climate either. Now here in Texas things are pretty warm most of the year. Finding a legitimate supply is always tough now.
Agreed, but during the summer months i should be golden right? As long as i stop well before freezing weather

philngrayce

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Jetta, '06 Jetta, Both Gone '13 Leaf, Gone Liberty CRD, Subaru Forrester and MB300SD
If you are even thinking of running WVO in your car, and it sounds like you might be, you should plan on a two tank heated system like the ones sold by Greasecar. I don’t think you will have long term success, and maybe not even short term success, without one.

On the other hand, if you are willing to set up the system and do a good job filtering, it will probably work fine for a long, long time in your 2001. Additionally, you will be able to use it all year round.

As a few have said, settling is a great way to clean the oil if you have the time and space. It also gets water out.

And you are right, the very first thing is to find a good source of oil. Nothing else much matters without that.

On my filtering system I used a whole house water filter, big and cheap. On the car, I used something like the one in your picture, 8 or 10 microns, heated, and it worked fine.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Every single person I know of here and IRL that use anytjing other than pump fuel... the cars dont last long. Bio is ok. I'm talking veg oil and used motor....

Want to save $ scangauge and learn to drive

philngrayce

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Jetta, '06 Jetta, Both Gone '13 Leaf, Gone Liberty CRD, Subaru Forrester and MB300SD
Not true about veg oil, especially in an older car. Many folks, myself included, have hundreds of thousands of trouble free miles on WVO.

Were they using a good two tank heated system?

Last edited:

mrseadog

TDI
2002 Jetta
As philngrayce said. I've been fueling my 2002 Jetta with wvo since 2008 with a two tank Frybrid system. I have driven about 400,000 total miles of which about 350,000 has been on 100% wvo. Those that say it will destroy your engine don't know what they are talking about or really know the fundamentals of diesel engines.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
As philngrayce said. I've been fueling my 2002 Jetta with wvo since 2008 with a two tank Frybrid system. I have driven about 400,000 total miles of which about 350,000 has been on 100% wvo. Those that say it will destroy your engine don't know what they are talking about or really know the fundamentals of diesel engines.
Yes. When done correct to an older engine alh and older... with a massive upfront cost.... sure.
So the typical upfront cost is a few hundred bucks on fuel tank settlement storage... another few hundred in filtration and setup to get the fuel ready and pumped into your car.
$2,500 grand (last I checked) for a fuel kit for the oil and of course the property tax and property itself to store the oil... and time to got get the oil.
I have a big issue with people spouting off this nonsense that your time is free. Your time is a investment into whatever your doing. Without going into detailed story,basically half the labor hours you would pay somone else is what you should figure.
If it takes you 1 hour per 30 gallons to go pick up the oil and get it into storage setteling tank and going rate now is about $30/h for labor after hours. So $2 a gallon.
So the upfront cost is about 3 grand and $2 a gallon ongoing. No thanks!
Now if you are putting massive miles on the car how are you doing it? Long distance driving usually so it makes no sence to drive more than what 600 miles? Depending on the tank?
It just seems so far fetched that the one year of fuel up front cost is going to be worth the hassle.
That's my biggest issue. Oh and ongoing filtration costs!

J_dude

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 1.9l “Jedi”
I have friends in Manitoba (and it’s cold there) that have been using veggie year round in their pickups for years, no issues. And they run it in everything from the 12 valve Cummins to the 6.7 Cummins.
I think even with all the little things like your time and filtration costs, it’s still going to be cheaper than diesel. Heck if you want to add all those little things to the cost of veggie then you can’t just compare it to pump diesel cost, because filling up at the pump costs you money to drive there and costs you time too so that needs to be factored in as well.

atc98002

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL Premium (sold back), 2009 Jetta (sold back), 80 Rabbit diesel (long gone)
And they run it in everything from the 12 valve Cummins to the 6.7 Cummins.
Big difference between those engines and a VW TDI.

mrseadog

TDI
2002 Jetta
with a massive upfront cost
Yes, there was upfront cost. Back in 2008 the system I installed cost around $2000. The system paid for itself the first year. That was 14 years ago.

The cost of your time analogy only works if someone was willing to pay you, or you, doing something to earn money at the same time. If you are sitting at home watching a football game on TV and not being paid to do that, your labor cost is zero for watching TV. If you could have been paid during that time, you made the decision to "lose" money during that time. If you are not being paid, your daily actions or inducements may be to lower expenses. Do you change your own oil or have someone else do it? Cut your lawn of pay a lawn service? Fix your own meals or go out to restaurants for all your meals. Each of those things (oil changes, lawn, and food on the table) has to be done at some point in time. If you don't do it, you are paying someone else.

Last edited:

mrseadog

TDI
2002 Jetta
Big difference between those engines and a VW TDI
Not as much as you think. I have dealt with large low speed diesels in excess of 32,000 hp that are designed to burn 600cSt HFO. It is all about operating within design parameters. In this case fuel, specifically fuel viscosity.

Last edited:

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Everyone values time differently. To each their own!
This might be the reason somone might need to cheap out on fuel!
It's your time. Not somone esles.
I happen to want to spend that time for family and auto sports and various hobbies. So it better be worth my time.
The time you use is also valued in what else you do. If you spent the same time you did on veg oil and the cost... putting that into gold coin or S&P500 would pay off better. That's just my opinion and not everyone wants to do stocks ect....
If it makes sense to you then by all means go for it and encourage others that might benefit like you have from it! But same goes for how many of us value time as a sacred resource! For me if I'm not making 8% back or over time for what my income is... I dont do it. I'll use that time on canyon riding my rocket or auto crossing my wife cayenne or family level stuff.
I know it's probably silly for most people to think like this but there is a reason less than 5% of americans are more than paycheck to paycheck!

mrseadog

TDI
2002 Jetta
Everyone values time differently. To each their own!
Yes, that is very true. But you are the one who brought it up.
Your time is a investment into whatever your doing.
I consider this endeavor a bit of a hobby. One that has conservatively saved me $25,000 in fuel I didn't have to buy.
If you spent the same time you did on veg oil and the cost... putting that into gold coin or S&P500 would pay off better.
An inaccurate and poor assumption.

philngrayce

Veteran Member
TDI
What everybody said. Really.

Mongler98 is right that it takes time, and time is valuable.

Mrseadog is right about all the money he has saved (a lot) and that it is a bit of a hobby too. It might seem strange (okay, I’m strange), but I would rather collect and filter oil than ride a motorcycle through the canyon or autocross a car. I found the whole thing, from the mechanical conversion to the restaurants to the people I met very rewarding. For a few years, we had an annual gathering called Greasestock at a nice place in Westchester. Lots of good people, a bunch of kids and my daughter won the only raffle she ever won at the event. I have often said that it is probably not worth doing just for the money. If you aren’t going to get some enjoyment as well, don’t bother. People are amazed to hear about it. Heck, I was amazed that it actually worked. And I learned an awful lot about diesels, and from there also about home heating systems. I had so much oil I heated a house with it too.

I believe the estimates of costs are a bit high. I think my first Greasecar kit was around $1,000. I made a kit for my Jeep, because nobody sold one, for about half of that. That was around 2003 or so; I’m sure they are more expensive now. And filtering costs were pretty close to zero, with filter elements costing a few dollars and lasting for hundreds of gallons. Your mileage may vary, of course.

Jdude is right anout the time saved going to the gas station. It was kind of fun that I always left my house with a full tank.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
You put 350k miles on your car as a hobby?
Ok
TV is entertainment or a hobby. Doing veg oil is an investment. No if ands or buts about it. You do it to save money. Want to save the plannet... dont own a car or home!
I've said my bit.
What do you do as a hobby that gets you 350k?